TerriB's profile

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

Friday, January 18th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

What happened to Smart Resume?

Smart Resume is no longer working on programs it worked on in recent history. We have not made any changes to any scheduled recordings or settings and its still toggled on in Comcast Labs. Watching last night's 'How to Get Away with Murder' which airs on ABC  which as always had Smart Resume and its not showing up.  New season started last night and I completely forgot that I missed the last two from last season in Nov ( they got 'lost' in our long DVR list I guess)  while we were on vacation and was catching up and smart resume was on both those recordings but when I went to watch first episode of this season from last night it was not  there.  Same experience with Chicago PD this week which airs on NBC. Please help me understand. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

I guess I am befuddled about Smart Resume on day time shows. While it was in Labs it was only available in evening  prime time and the new description posted on here does not say what time of day its available. Anyone know ?

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

@Heleneok1 wrote:

Mine works sometimes on Days of Our Lives.  Works sometimes on other shows also.  Never know when or if.  Once you get used to it hate to be with out it. Can watch 3 shows in the time  it takes for two shows with commercials.

--------------------

We have used it since it first went into Labs and you are so right about how many shows can be watched in record time B UT  then Smart Resume doesn't work for some episodes and does for others of same show...we are so spoiled we get really upset when we have to FF on our own. Now to get it to work all the time when it should.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Mine works sometimes on Days of Our Lives.  Works sometimes on other shows also.  Never know when or if.  Once you get used to it hate to be with out it. Can watch 3 shows in the time  it takes for two shows with commercials.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

@ComcastJessie

I still do not understand how smart resume is supposed to work now that its  a permanent part of the platform and can be turned on or off in Preferences>General.  You put the new description on the forum and it is also located 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dvr-smart-resume

When it works its wonderful and as I have said before...its easy to get spoiled. Some have commented negatively and asked about it and I have interated my concerns in the past week but cannot even find any of those posts  now so here I am again trying to get an explanation and to find out if anyone is working on the glitches.

The feature  is still  very inconsistent  on weekly prime time series recordings from one episode to another.  We have had  smart resume on HD  program series since the feature started in LABs and have loved it and now the instances of it not working are increasing and there seems to be no pattern.  Its hit and miss.  One member said it worked fine on Days of Our Lives which is daytime.  I have tried it on some daytime shows  and it is not working at all.  

The new  feature description does not say that it works on daytime and prime time. When it was in Labs it was only 8-11PM. Which is it please and if its all hours then the description should definitely be changed to clarify. 

Bottom line......is anyone working on the issues that it works sometimes and sometimes not?  Is there an explanation? Thank you for any insight you can offer.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

What in the workd happened to smart remote? It was awesome. When will it be restored?

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

It stopped working on DAYS OF OUR LIVES for me weeks ago!

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

5 years ago

I haven't seen any problem on "Days".     But your NBC channel would probably come from your local station and these may be handled individually even though it is supposed to be a network decision.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

@ComcastKenF and  @ComcastTeds

Smart Resume is not working on more and more of our recorded HD programs  across all the major networks and I am not the only one talking about this. Due to so many shows starting another season we have quite a list and  are trying to catch up and the smart resume function is erratic at best on episodes week to week.  Sure would be nice to hear from one of our Comcast  employee experts on this issue.  The silence is deafening. 

I 'tagged' ComcastJessie not long ago after she posted the latest article from Comcast on Smar Resume but no response so thought I would tag you two also hoping for some insight/assistance in what is happening with Smart Resume.

Thank you in advance

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

deleted

RoberyWy.....oh my goodness....they have deleted the feature already? What  happened?

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

5 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

deleted

RoberyWy.....oh my goodness....they have deleted the feature already? What  happened?

No, I just erased my reply.

=

WHEW! Thanks.  The feature has gotten so bad and I don't understand why no one at Comcast will address this on the forum.  Hardly any recorded HD shows on major networks are working with Smart Resume now. Very frustrating and disappointing. It worked much better when it was in LABs.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I was watching  The Voice on DVR  just now  and my cable box in the middle of it suddenly turned itself off.  After  trying to figure out what happened. It came back on but the smart resume dissapeared. Upon further inspection it's gone out of all the shows I recorded. To make it worse,  NBC would not let me fast forward the commercials out at all.  I checked a few of my other shows and I could  fast foward but it's only a matter of time before that stops. I am going to call  Xfinity tomorrow but to me the obvious reason would be  pressure from the all  and advertisers. I always wondered about that when we got smart resume.  Ridiculous  with advertising spam telemarketers calling me all day.. we should be ALLOWED to stop it all when we have the option. Money talks.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I don't believe you. they took out  because of pressure from advertisers.  There was no reason to remove it other then that.. 

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@hawkmail wrote:

I don't believe you. they took out  because of pressure from advertisers.  There was no reason to remove it other then that.. 

----

Are you responding to something someone else posted on this subject? Reason I ask is that I don't see any post between the two of yours so looks like whomever replied to you deleted their response.

This Smart Resume issue is escalating as more and more shows are not  showing it. What really bothers me is that NO ONE from Comcast has said a word on this forum about what is happening. If the feature is going away...JUST SAY SO.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

@hawkmail wrote:

It was there yesterday; they may have removed it from some channels, but I think this is still valid:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dvr-smart-resume

===

Robert....have you not been reading the reports on here of how erratic the feature has been for quite some time?. I will not address the 'new' cable network channels that supposedly have been added.  Basically..... Smart Resume  only works sometimes on primetime shows on NBC/FOX/ABC/CBS and you never know when it will work....no pattern.   On series recordings on those four major networks you never know which episodes its going to work on.  Why we have not had one peep out of a Comcast Forum Moderator is totally beyond me. Surely there has to be some explanation available.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

ok..  I went into the preferences of my X1 system  as suggested and it says it's on.. i turned it off and on. again.  Some SR's  are now  back working but most  shows that I pre recorded  are  missing the smart resume.. I hope they do work in the future.  ... Seems a bit odd that for a year it was working fine and now  they say it has issues.. anyway.  Hopefully Xfinity will allow this feature to remain.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here