Community Forum

Upgraded to X1 and fullscreen is gone - help

SFSailLady2
Contributor

Upgraded to X1 and fullscreen is gone - help

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded to X1 and now some HD movies have bars on the top and bottom like the old days rather than full screen.  How can I go back to the way it was before?  My TV settings have not changed.  The TV setting under both Samsung and Xfinity Device settings|Video Display is 16:9 / 1080HD60p.  I see this question in archives both I cannot get to the the archive post.  Please help. I miss my full screen.

Rustyben
Expert

Re: Upgraded to X1 and fullscreen is gone - help

@SFSailLady2 wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded to X1 and now some HD movies have bars on the top and bottom like the old days rather than full screen.  How can I go back to the way it was before?  My TV settings have not changed.  The TV setting under both Samsung and Xfinity Device settings|Video Display is 16:9 / 1080HD60p.  I see this question in archives both I cannot get to the the archive post.  Please help. I miss my full screen.

how is your set top box connected to the TV? what is the model number of the set top box? when you tune to a local HD channel is it in HD and 16:9?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
SFSailLady2
Contributor

HD channels for the most part are fine.  It is mostly movies from On Demand (not all, just some) for example.  Settop box - it is X1 DVR box.  My TV has aspet ratio 16:0 / 1080HD60p and if I look at it on Xfinity settings, same thing.  However, I think I found an article that explains it.  I just don't quite understand why it became noticeable after the upgrade to X1 service from non-X1 that I had for a long time.  Here is the article:  https://www.audioadvice.com/videos-reviews/widescreen-explained/

@Rustyben wrote:

@SFSailLady2 wrote:

how is your set top box connected to the TV? what is the model number of the set top box? when you tune to a local HD channel is it in HD and 16:9?

SFSailLady2
Contributor

PS:  The box is connected via HDMI.  

lesmikesell
Valued Contributor

Yes, movies are mostly shot at 21.5:9 which will have black bars at the top and bottom of your 16:9 screen.  Sometimes they are reformatted to fit 16:9.  You have probably just run into more in the original format recently.

SFSailLady2
Contributor

As usual, thank you forum members.  I think though the article in my post ended up explaining it.  I guess it is just coincidental that I got X1 and movies stopped being reformatted at the same time.  I hope they stop that and go back to reformatting.