Community Forum

Terrible picture quality after switching to a new Xi6 4k cable box

Frequent Visitor

Terrible picture quality after switching to a new Xi6 4k cable box

Terrible Picture when switching to a new Xi6 4k cable box.  same issue as the link below.  Why is the picture so bad and washed out in 4k.  The picture totally improves to the exelent picture I used to get with my old box when I downgrade to 1080 picture quality..

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xi6-color-is-horrible/td-p/3219105

 

What do I do or can I improve the picture.  The 4k picture is totally unacceptable.  I have the issue with both wifi and CAT5 cable attached.  no differance.

Capture.JPG
Expert

Re: Terrible picture quality after switching to a new Xi6 4k cable box


@markDouglas wrote:

Terrible Picture when switching to a new Xi6 4k cable box.  same issue as the link below.  Why is the picture so bad and washed out in 4k.  The picture totally improves to the exelent picture I used to get with my old box when I downgrade to 1080 picture quality..

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xi6-color-is-horrible/td-p/3219105

 

What do I do or can I improve the picture.  The 4k picture is totally unacceptable.  I have the issue with both wifi and CAT5 cable attached.  no differance.


when you change device you will need to set up the HDMI port for that device. brightness, sharpness, settings, gamma, etc.  the set top box for cable and local channels may look better if you set the box normally to 720p and let your tV upscale and change to 4k when using 4k apps or special event programming in 4k. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Terrible picture quality after switching to a new Xi6 4k cable box

yes, i have done and checked all of the settings. there is a problem e with these boxes using 4k setup. i have even tried to set all of the tv picture settings to fix the washed out picture.. No joy!!!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Terrible picture quality after switching to a new Xi6 4k cable box

why would I want to UP SCALE from 720 when i can supposedly get a 4k signal.  makes no sense.

Regular Contributor

Re: Terrible picture quality after switching to a new Xi6 4k cable box


@markDouglas wrote:

why would I want to UP SCALE from 720 when i can supposedly get a 4k signal.  makes no sense.


Pretty much all xfinity TV content is delivered as 720p.  So the choice is whether the little box or your expensive TV does the upscaling.  Your TV might be better at it.

 

However, if you want to watch 4k Netflix/Amazon/YouTube content from the xg1v4 apps you have to have the output set to 4k -  it won't switch by itself.   Your TV might have native apps though, leaving on-demand movies and the very rare 4k sports event as the only times you really need the 4k setting.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Terrible picture quality after switching to a new Xi6 4k cable box

If its deliverd at 720p how can they advetise it as 4k.  Also when they need much mre in the way of 4k content.  they have the band width!  using the apps like Prime and youtube in 4k also looks washed out on the xi6 box set you 4k UHD.  backing it down to 1080p brings back the picture to much better quality.  Viewing 4k content on my main XG1v4 cable box looks great on both my 4k tv's.  i tried them both.  I think as of right now the addition of the Xi6 box to my 2nd 4k tv is a waste of time.

Regular Contributor

Re: Terrible picture quality after switching to a new Xi6 4k cable box


@markDouglas wrote:

If its deliverd at 720p how can they advetise it as 4k.  Also when they need much mre in the way of 4k content.  they have the band width!  using the apps like Prime and youtube in 4k also looks washed out on the xi6 box set you 4k UHD.  backing it down to 1080p brings back the picture to much better quality.  Viewing 4k content on my main XG1v4 cable box looks great on both my 4k tv's.  i tried them both.  I think as of right now the addition of the Xi6 box to my 2nd 4k tv is a waste of time.


Broadcast TV is broadcast TV - that's just what you get.  The local networks might be 1080 but nobody broadcasts 4k yet.  There is a small amount of sports programming in 4k that is regularly updated here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/uhd-4k-faqs

 

I don't have an Xi6 but since you are the only one that has mentioned a quality difference between it and the xg1v4 I suspect it is really some issue with your setup or the particular TV connection.  You may be forcing the TV to HDR when the input is not.    The X1 YouTube app does not send HDR even if the content says it is HDR.   Amazon's 'The Man in the High Castle' is  good series for high quality scenery in 4k HDR.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Terrible picture quality after switching to a new Xi6 4k cable box

I am NOT the only one that has brought this up!  I have seen atlest 4 others with the exact same issue!  The Xi6 box does have issues in 4k UHD setting.  Even the streamin in 4k and broadcast 4k conten is very washed out!!  Do a search in the forums for Xi6 picture issues or terrible picture and you can see other have the same problems.  As I have said in my previos posts I have even gon so far as to hook the tv on my Xi6 box to the xg1v4 box in the other room and move the boxes/swap them room to room and have the same results.  The Xi6 box has a problem with 4k signal.  It fine in 1080p.  My LG OLED has the exact same issue an my newer Vizio.  Bab picture quality.  If you do get an Xi6 I would like to see what your results are.  ALSO 4K CONTENT IS 4K CONTENT.  It has little to near nothing to do with the quality of the broadcast 720p or 1080p content I am getting.  There is a bug in the box.


@lesmikesell wrote:

@markDouglas wrote:

If its deliverd at 720p how can they advetise it as 4k.  Also when they need much mre in the way of 4k content.  they have the band width!  using the apps like Prime and youtube in 4k also looks washed out on the xi6 box set you 4k UHD.  backing it down to 1080p brings back the picture to much better quality.  Viewing 4k content on my main XG1v4 cable box looks great on both my 4k tv's.  i tried them both.  I think as of right now the addition of the Xi6 box to my 2nd 4k tv is a waste of time.


Broadcast TV is broadcast TV - that's just what you get.  The local networks might be 1080 but nobody broadcasts 4k yet.  There is a small amount of sports programming in 4k that is regularly updated here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/uhd-4k-faqs

 

I don't have an Xi6 but since you are the only one that has mentioned a quality difference between it and the xg1v4 I suspect it is really some issue with your setup or the particular TV connection.  You may be forcing the TV to HDR when the input is not.    The X1 YouTube app does not send HDR even if the content says it is HDR.   Amazon's 'The Man in the High Castle' is  good series for high quality scenery in 4k HDR.




Capture.JPG
Regular Contributor

Re: Terrible picture quality after switching to a new Xi6 4k cable box


@markDouglas wrote:

I am NOT the only one that has brought this up!  I have seen atlest 4 others with the exact same issue! 

 

But there must be many thousands of them out there.  And a few such complaints.

 

 

 ALSO 4K CONTENT IS 4K CONTENT.  It has little to near nothing to do with the quality of the broadcast 720p or 1080p content I am getting.  There is a bug in the box

 

 

Actually some 4K content will have 10-bit HDR color, some won't, and the output of the box will switch. There are a few 4K on-demand movies, and the Amazon video and Netflix apps have some content with HDR. The X1 YouTube app does not send HDR even if the content says it has it.