Sadie143's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 21st, 2019 1:00 PM

Closed

TV turns on randomly on its’ own

Bought a Samsung TV in October and since then the TV turns on randomly, usually in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping.  Samsung tells me it is a cable box issue.  xFinity tells me it is a television issue.  Has anyone else had this experience and if so how did you resolve it?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Check the settings on your tv. The boxes do a reboot in the middle of the night, its possible your tv is going into a standby mode instead of powering off and when the box resets it may be kicking the tv out of standby mode.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Yep! Connected a new Samsung TV to my downstairs box and it comes on randomly! Never did it before until I upgraded TV and box

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@paperpeng27 wrote:
Yep! Connected a new Samsung TV to my downstairs box and it comes on randomly! Never did it before until I upgraded TV and box

go to your TV menu using your TV's remote and turn off CEC function.

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

**UPDATE, on 1/22/20**
Our Solution
Using our Xfinity XR11 remote we are now only turning off our Samsung TV/Xfinity system by only using the "TOP RIGHT POWER BUTTON" on the Xfinity remote. My husband is left handed, so he was using the top left button "TV" button, when turning off our Samsung TV/Xfinity system. Over the last month of only using the top right power button, the TV has NOT turned back on.

We found out that Comcast has a remote XR15 that should solve the problem, as it only has 1 power button on the top right. I will keep you updated once we receive the XR15 remotes and use them.

~~~~~~
Original post...
We are having a similar issue. Our Samsung is over 5 years old, and we are an Xfinity X1 customer. Over the last 6 weeks our TV randomly turns back on. The time varies. One common issue, is it has happened after a recording ended a few times. (1) We make sure the last show watched is live, and not behind or paused. TV still turns on. (2) We turned off the Comcast Labs feature "Smart Resume for Recordings". TV still turns on. We have reset our DVR multiple times. No settings have been changed in my Samsung TV, and I even turned off auto software updates. Please post if you determine what is causing this! Thank you.
~~~~~~~
**UPDATE, on 1/22/20**  Our Solution
Using our Xfinity X1 remote we are now only turning off our Samsung TV/Xfinity system by using the "TOP RIGHT POWER BUTTON" on the Xfinity remote. My husband is left handed, so he was using the top left button "TV" button, when turning off our Samsung TV/Xfinity system. Cross your fingers, as for the last 3 weeks of only using the power button, the TV has NOT turned back on. This could be the solution for us!!! I'll keep you updated.

FYI, If you read my other posts you'll see we tried many other solutions, including removing the batteries from the Xfinity remote... that seemed to work sometimes, but the TV started turning back on, even with the remote batteries removed.

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

See my previous post... Q2.
Could this be an internet connection issue? If my dual band modem gets a poor signal or goes out while recording, could that cause the DVR to turn on TV to get to the cloud, to download or upload the scheduled recording? Thank you.

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

Update 1, Turning off the Anytime+ CEC function in my TV... DID NOT WORK.

5/19/19 Update 2, Xfinity advised to remove batteries from remotes, as remote could be defective. Still testing this.
~~~~~~
Original post....
Ok, I found and turned off the Anytime+ CEC function in my TV settings. My TV is over 5 years old, Samsung TV LED65 7100 series, and my DVD is about 1 to 2 years old. And, this has never happened before. I hope this works, without losing functionality of my TV! I'll keep you posted. Thanks.
Updates above.

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

**UPDATE, on 1/22/20**
Our Solution...
Using our Xfinity XR11 remote we are now only turning off our Samsung TV/Xfinity system by only using the "TOP RIGHT POWER BUTTON" on the Xfinity remote. My husband is left handed, so he was using the top left button "TV" button, when turning off our Samsung TV/Xfinity system. Over the last month of only using the top right power button, the TV has NOT turned back on.

We found out that Comcast has a remote XR15 that should solve the problem, as it only has 1 power button on the top right. I will keep you updated once we receive the XR15 remotes and use them.

5/19/19 Update 2, Xfinity advised to remove batteries from remotes, as remote could be defective. Still testing this.
~~~~~
Update 1. Turning off Anytime+ CEC function in my Samsung TV settings did NOT work... as we came home after being away 2 hours, and our TV was on. Nothing recorded while we were gone. Cannot find any cause. Any other suggestions?? (Refer to my prior 3 posts for more details.) Thanks.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@peg4 wrote:
Update. Turning off Anytime+ CEC function in my Samsung TV settings did NOT work... as we came home after being away 2 hours, and our TV was on. Nothing recorded while we were gone. Cannot find any cause. Any other suggestions?? (Refer to my prior 3 posts for more details.) Thanks.

take the batteries out of both (all ) tv remotes (and cable remote). might be a stuck button.

Official Employee

• 

3.8K Messages

5 years ago

Greetings, peg4! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. I apologize to hear you are having the issues with the TV randomly turning on. Looks like you have been working with Rustyben on the issue. I was just wanting to follow up to see if removing the batteries from the remotes have fixed the issue. If it has not, feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name so I can look further into this.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Official Employee

• 

7K Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for providing the update, peg4! Our team will await your reply on the results of using the new remote. Until then, have a great day!

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

It has been 3 days since we removed the remote batteries, and our Samsung TV has not turned on again, on its own. We are waiting for the new remote to arrive. I'll update you if the problem recurs, once we begin using the new remote. Thank you for your help.

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

I have had the exact same problem which has to do with the hdmi connection from the X1 box to the TV. Here's the work around: Before you turn off the TV for the day or night just change the input source to a non-hdmi source. I change mine to the Component input source. Hope this works for you.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This had happened 3 times this month. I too have a Samsung

Recognized Contributor

• 

1.9K Messages

5 years ago

Carrollfamily59, have you tried the workaround that @Redbook suggested? Let me know if it helps. 

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

UPDATE 6/21/19
TV started turning on again by itself after using new remote about 10 days. Removing batteries from remote at night, to see if TV still turns on. So far after 10 days of removing batteries, the TV has not turned on.

Will update later.
~~~~~~~
See update above...
Great news! Since we received the new remote, the TV has not turned on by itself. So it looks like the old remote was defective, and causing the TV to turn on.

If anyone is having this problem, I suggest you take the batteries out of your remote, when your TV is off, for a few days to see if your TV turns on by itself.

FYI, We noticed the new batteries we put in the old remote ran down in just a few days, possibly due to a stuck button or internal damage, making the remote send a signal that turned on our Samsung TV.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here