user_0ih2332's profile

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

Tuesday, September 17th, 2019 10:00 AM

Closed

TV Box/DVR color coded status condition

When I speak to a Comcast rep on the phone they will often mention the status color of my DVR is in the yellow or in the red. Then they make some refresh adjustment and then it is back in the green. So my questions are, 1) what exactly do these colors refer to? 2) Why does my DVR move from a green to a yellow or red? 3) What can I do to prevent my DVR  from varying from red?  4) What exactly is the tech doing when they "fix" my system?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Every X1 DVR and XG2 have a little modem inside. That modem uses docsis channels, like your modem does. Those rocks channels need to be in a certain range to work properly.

1.Red= signal levels are way out of that range

Yellow= close to being in range

Green= in range

2. It could easily change just by having a 1 or 2db swing in signal levels. There are multiple downstream a d upstream frequencies. So, it could be just one or two frequencies of multiple.

3. There isn't a whole lot you can do, weather is often a factor. But your equipment should be in the green, not fluctuating between red and ye!low. 

4. All the tech is doing is resetting how your equipment is reading those levels. Same as resetting your modem.

Ideally between 8 and -8 db on the downstream and 35 to 51 on the upstream. All of these are available to see on your equipment.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

There’s not much you can do, it could be the cable, the equipment, distance of cable, weather. Unless it’s making the dvr not work the way it should I wouldn’t worry about it

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for the info. What causes the swing in signal level? What can I do to minimize these swings, if anything? I have two DVRs. The new 4K DVR isn't having this problem while the old Comcast DVR is having the problem. Would trading in the old DVR for a new one resolve this problem?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Everytime it rained we would get pixelation. Then last night we got error message XRE-03059 just on the sports package channels and were unable to get to any of the sports package channels. I called in and they opened a tier 2 ticket. This morning when I woke up we were able to get to the sports package channels but all the sports package channels and all the other regular channels were pixelated. So I called again and they do a restart and a refresh and fixed the pixelation problem for all the channels. So today all is fine. But they mentioned that the older DVR was in the yellow. 

As for the outside wire I am waiting for the next rainy day to see if the pixelation comes back and if so I'll call for a tech to come out and check the outside line. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here