OldeFatGuy's profile

Contributor

• 

76 Messages

Friday, September 28th, 2018 3:00 PM

Closed

Setting Up Remote for New TV

My mother just purchased a new TV for her bedroom and I can't for the life of me figure out how to program the Comcast remote to be able to control power and volume.  It is a ONN brand TV (no, I've never heard of it before) that she found cheap at Wal-Mart (32 inch for $98.00).  When I go into "Setup Remote" and put in the ONN brand, there is nothing showing up to be able to choose how to set up the remote.

Can anyone help me or will she have to use two remotes from now on... the Comcast one to change channels and the ONN one to power on/off and change volume?

Thanks for any info.  Much appreciated.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

6 years ago

Hello, OldeFatGuy.

I wanted to check in and see if you were able to get this issue taken care of using the link RobertWy provided or if you still need assistance?

Contributor

• 

76 Messages

6 years ago

No, still no luck getting the XFinity remote to operate the volume and power of the TV.  I know I have never heard of this brand of TV so perhaps it is brand new and the Comcast remote's haven't yet been been made to work with them.  But if I were a betting person I'd bet it's my fault somehow as I just can't figure out how to do it with the on-screen instructions.  I recall being able to enter 3 or 4 digit "codes" into my DirecTV remotes to get them to work with different TV's but all I can see how to do here is select the brand from a list and this brand just doesn't show up.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

Which remote do you have?

Contributor

• 

76 Messages

6 years ago

It's one of those voice remotes that you can talk to.

Contributor

• 

76 Messages

6 years ago

I'm going to try and post a link to the TV as if it works this is the exact TV at the exact price she paid.  But I don't know if links work inthese forums.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-32-TV-HD-720P-LED-TV/603694404

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

Try this if it’s the XR11 remote
Hold down setup until the X1 remote lights green then press 991 green light will blink then go off,.. while pointing the remote at the tv press the channel up button until the tv turns off. (Go slowly if you hit the channel up button again after the tv turns off that means you attempted another code.) After the tv turns off press the setup button again and the green light will blink and you'll be good to go.

Contributor

• 

76 Messages

6 years ago

Okay.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH.  I will give this a try this evening.  Sure do appreciate you taking the time to help.

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

6 years ago

Let us know if that works for you. If not, I can provide some additional steps. 

What type of TV do you have? 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have an OON 43" TV.  The technician came out and tried to set up the remote and changed the cable box also.  The Channel selector works.  The On/Off and Volume control does not.   I have to manually turn the TV on as I do not have the OON remote.  There is no code for the OON TV, which is a division of RCA.

Contributor

• 

76 Messages

5 years ago

I have an RCA TV and 3 different techinicians came out and could not get the remote to work correctly.  Finally got most features to work after multile attempts, but the volume button still does not work.

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Ginich

Did the link provided by @RobertWy help? 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Evidently, the xfinity remote does not work with this brand of TV so I need to buy a universal remote that does to control volume and on/off
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here