Community Forum

Re: RDK-03033 Freeze Channel.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I just started to have the same problem on 4/17. I have hard booted my X1 DVR 4 times, hard booted my modem and run the system refresh on my account cell phone app. Why is this happening?

Highlighted
New Poster

I am having this issue for a week now. Have reported it. Have you had any resolution
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I have had the problem for 2 days. TV works for a few hours then goes black and I have to hard reboot it to get it working again. It only effects the DVR in one room the other TV DVR isn't effected.

I just got off the phone with Comcast service in Philappines. They couldn't find a problem or resolve it on their end.  So they are having a tech drop a new DVR at my front door tomorrow. I can ship the old one back by UPS. But I don't think the problem is in the DVR but I am willing to give it a try even if I lose most of my recordings.

Since the error message is about connecting to the internet and all my boxes are connected by coax cable I wonder if that is the confusion. If an software update is causing the box to search for an internet connection when it isn't needed.

Highlighted
New Poster

Having the same problem. read about it on this link. If your using a splitter its a problem all of a sudden.

http://jermsmit.com/x1-error-code-rdk-03004-unable-to-connect-to-xfinity/#comments

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I have an amplifier on my system and the power is attached to the system at the Bedroom DVR. But I am thinking it may not be the power splitter. After I hard reboot the DVR the TV stays on about 2 hours before I have the problem again. So I suspect it is the DVR.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

That link from @redvette2002 is 5 years old

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I don't understand what does 5 years have to do with it?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Old information, not necessary relevant

The error code is related to streaming issue. This issue can happen at any point in the delivery mechanism. It can be from the server side as well as at the client side. The issue can also be in the delivery channel which is bandwidth and ISP conflict issues.

Most of the times, the error code can be rectified by simply restarting the device.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I have 2 DVRs only 1 is effectied. Would that rule out the server? Would that rule out most of the system outside where the internal cable splits from the other DVR?

I have an amplifier powered at the splitter right next to the DVR being effected. So I assume it is the  either the splitter or the DVR. And since it happens about every two hours I don't think it is the splitter but the DVR. 

I do reboot the DVR when the problem happens but it then happens again 2 or so hours later. When I asked the CSR earlier tonight she told me that everything she was looking at was in the green so nothing is out of balance. She told me the upstream/downstream Powerwas +2.01. So I assume there is nothing I can see in the DVR utilities that would point to the problem?

As I was writing this post the TV which was watching a taped show went black again. Almost exactly 2 hours after the last time it went black. It sounds to me like the software is schedule to do something or look for an internet connection every 2 hours and when it can't find it shuts down.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

So Comcast tech came to the house yesterday wearing mask and gloves. Dropped off new DVR. It was actually a "New" (wrapped in plastic) XG1-P along with a XR-11 remote. I was originally instructed to mail the old XG1v4-A via free UPS but the tech wanted it back so I gave it to him.

The boot up took a lot longer than I expected. It took about 20 minutes and it balked a couple of times and shut down and rebooted on it's own but eventually it started to work properly. I went into the settings and changed the settings for my preferences and synced the DVR which brought back my list of recoreded items that were less than 1 year old. The rest I lost. The items it "found" in the sync are now in my cloud.  And my recording program list is all set automatically so that made the whole process easier.

I haven't had much chance to watch recorded programs which is where the problem appeared on the old machine but so far I haven't had any problems with the replacement so I guess the problem was in the other machines software.

I really wanted the XG1v4-A that has 4K capabilities but during a pandemic I guess I can be happy just to have everything working properly. After life calms down and the local Comcast store reopens I will swap it out for the newer model. If anything changes I will post here. I hope everyone who is having a similar problem can resolve their issues as well.

Highlighted
Expert

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

So Comcast tech came to the house yesterday wearing mask and gloves. Dropped off new DVR. It was actually a "New" (wrapped in plastic) XG1-P along with a XR-11 remote. I was originally instructed to mail the old XG1v4-A via free UPS but the tech wanted it back so I gave it to him.

The boot up took a lot longer than I expected. It took about 20 minutes and it balked a couple of times and shut down and rebooted on it's own but eventually it started to work properly. I went into the settings and changed the settings for my preferences and synced the DVR which brought back my list of recoreded items that were less than 1 year old. The rest I lost. The items it "found" in the sync are now in my cloud.  And my recording program list is all set automatically so that made the whole process easier.

I haven't had much chance to watch recorded programs which is where the problem appeared on the old machine but so far I haven't had any problems with the replacement so I guess the problem was in the other machines software.

I really wanted the XG1v4-A that has 4K capabilities but during a pandemic I guess I can be happy just to have everything working properly. After life calms down and the local Comcast store reopens I will swap it out for the newer model. If anything changes I will post here. I hope everyone who is having a similar problem can resolve their issues as well.

swap it for the 4k DVR when the shut-in is over. the box you got is the oldest version, and has only 5 useable tuners. if you use a sound bar you may find it has built-in audio issues (dropout and sync)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Yes I agree completely. I loved that little R2D2 of a box and it was much quieter than this -p box. I also want the 4K capability because I'm thinking of upgrading the bedroom TV. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@ComcastJoeTru I keep getting the RDK-03033 error too.  I am using a XG1-A Box, wondering if it is too old? Has been working fine for past couple weeks, jut started to get bad today. thanks

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Call Comcast and see if they can fix it over the phone. If so please post what they did to fix it. If they can't have them send you a replacement box. Must be a software update glitch.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@WindsurfMaui I tried today to call Comcast, spoke to a call center in the Phillipines. They couldn't handle the question, everytime I said it was a RDK-03033 error and said it was a "Can't connect to intenet issue" they kept trying to troubleshoot my modem, which is not the issue. I gave up,  they didn't understand. I'm hoping to have more luck here.  Will let you know if I get it resolved.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

That is who I spoke with on my issue. They understood the problem but just couldn't get it fixed over the phone. So instead they offered to either mail me a new box (arrives in about 5 days) and I would return the old box via free shipment with UPS or have a tech drop one on my porch (they had a free appointment the next day.) so I opted for the tech.

I wish I knew what exactly caused the problem since that box was only 6 or 7 months old.

Side note: The CSR's in the Philippines office have been working without being able to go home. Comcast puts them up in a hotel next to the office and then they go back to work. That must be very tough on them not to see their families. I thought Comcast would have everyone working from home but I guess that isn't reliable  in the Philippines.

Keep us posted on your case because I think others will have a similar problem soon.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

So I received the "new" old model DVR and it worked fine for a few days but then tonight the error message started back again. I will call Comcast in the morning to see if we can fix it. 

It occurred to me that maybe the issue is I marked a TV show or movie in an app for recording in the future and now it is trying to send me or record that app that is internet based. In the past I have tried various apps, especially those that had free trial periods, and maybe that is what is causing the problem. I looked around and can't find anything that would conform this theory. Nothing in my to be recorded is from an app but I think the two issues are connected.

Highlighted
New Poster

I don't use any apps and don't have anything recorded or anything, and my screen goes black and gives me the error message anyway. Had a service rep restart the box and look into it, but he couldnt fix the issue.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

That is discouraging. I went to Hulu or one of those apps on the TV when it was free and I may have set a recording not knowing that it was a free trial period.  Now I can't get into that app without signing up but think it may be that is what is causing my problem. My other TV that also has a DVR attached does not have the problem.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

OK so I haven't called Comcast yet but the problem of the RDK-03033 error message is now happening on both DVRs. The good news is if I hit the exit button about 6 times and wait about 1 minute the TV fixes itself without turning off or going black. But this doesn't work all the times and then I have to pull the plug out of the DVR that is effected. So I will be calling Comcast again in the morning and see if this is a community problem and if others on my street are having similar issues.  

Highlighted
Expert

it is a known issue that will need a new update to the affected set top boxes. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

We just started having this problem on 05/10/20. It freezes every 90 minutes, like clockwork. We tried all troubleshooting and finally called.
Central America said it is a known issue with no resolution in sight and only effecting WA state.
I tried to call again, today, but the AI won't let me talk to anyone unless I do ANOTHER system reset.
It appears, based on this thread, that the issue is the Xfinity box. I'm going to try another route and request a new box and free upgrade for the time, trouble and aggravation.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

It's not the box but get a new one anyway. I had the 4K XG1v4-A and when the tech dropped a replacement box on my porch it was the oldest model DVR. I didn't have the problem for about 4 or 5 days and then it came back.  I think it is in the software update. I found out there is actually a store open nearby and I may go and try and get a V4-A back again. In the meantime I will keep trying to fix this over the phone.  And yes the new phone system that won't let us talk to a live person is very annoying and counter productive to the relationship between Comcast and it's customers.

Highlighted
New Poster

Yes me too... on all TVs.... what's going on?   Mostly during movies. If I do nothing, in about 10 minutes it will restart and go back to regular tv.  Remote won't work... all cables are connected and tight... What's the fix?  OMG just happen again!!  SMH 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

We can't be the only 2 people having this problem but I have no idea how to solve it. I'm in the Boston area. Maybe others are having the problem but are in a different thread?

Highlighted
New Poster

I have been having this issue for a couple of weeks or more. It happens every day at some point. It totally kills watching Netflix and leaves the app. Other common times are trying to use the remote for anything. Fast forward a DVR recording or just changing channels. Usually these will cause the message to pop up and waiting will make it go away. A few minutes later try the remote function and it works. Annoying for sure but I have been able to live with it. When I have time I’m going to have to call.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Comcast admitted this is a system problem. There must be another thread with everybody else who is having this problem. 

I called Comcast and had to let the machine run a refresh and when I called back it asked me if it fixed my TV problem. I told it no and it sent me to a live human who happened to live in my own state. He told me this is a Comcast problem and they are trying to fix it. I kind of knew that already because I bumped into another resident in this apartment building and they are having the same problem and couldn't get an answer from Comcast when they called last week. So when Comcast Rep took responsibility  I felt much better. Of course they have no idea when it will be fixed but at least I don't have to solve the problem.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Fingers crossed maybe Comcast has fixed this problem. I haven't had the error message all day. Let's hope.