masayoyoshida's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, March 16th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

Power Saver doesn't turn off

My X1 TV box goes into Power Saver mode (after 4 hours of inactivity) even though I've gone to Settings>Power Preferences and turned Power Saver OFF. I have also replaced the box with the same results. I'm beginning to wonder if I can actually turn that feature off.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Contributor

• 

284 Messages

4 years ago

As many people have found out the "Power off" feature has never really turned the power off the box just goes into a sleep mode and if the TV is left on a screen saver now will come on after whatever time you have selected.  In my area comcast has changed the term "Power Down" to "Sleep Mode".  I guess that is the solution to the issue that people have been complaining about that the boxes don't actually power off.

Contributor

• 

284 Messages

4 years ago

Okay, I understand as the unit looks for some sort of activity and after four hours of no input the unit goes into "screen saver".  Prior to this change it was 8 hours before going to sleep. If you turn the power option off does it still go to sleep mode after 4 hours?

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Here is my situation: my elderly mother-in-law is in a senior care home and cannot operate the remote (or ask for help).  The care staff turns on the TV in the morning for her. After 4 hours, the X1 box goes into sleep mode and my mother-in-law is left to stare at a screen saver for hours even though the power preferences > power saver is off. 

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

The power saver is off. I've even replaced the box and still, the problem persists. It's as if the setting does nothing.

Contributor

• 

284 Messages

4 years ago

@masayoyoshida wrote:

The power saver is off. I've even replaced the box and still, the problem persists. It's as if the setting does nothing.

I did a test yesterday with my box, turned off the power save, left it on one channel,  after 6 hours the screen saver had still did not come on.   When the power save was on at four hours it would go to the screen saver.   I am doing another test going all day today but I am wondering if there may be some other box controlling the cable that is feeding that room in the home.  Otherwise I would call comcast directly to have it looked at

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for checking. I guess I'll have to call in a technician. I've tried everything I can think of and the guys on the phone and at the store have been no help.

Contributor

• 

284 Messages

4 years ago

My test today as been on for over 8 hours and no screen saver came on.   It will be interesting to know what is found that is different in that room and with that STB.  Good luck.

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

none of my other tv's go into sleep mode (or whatever) ever. 24hrs later, still going. For me it's just the one tv

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I have the same problem. And no one I have contacted at Xfinity has told me that it basically goes into either power saver or nap mode. And that they are both the same. No way to leave your tv running without messing around with it for more than 4 hours

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Comcast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

yes I have had this same problem. My tv used to run all day for my dog for sound. Now even with the powersaver off it still turns off. I have had the box replaced and gotten the run around from multiple people on chat and over the phone with service. No one will come out and just say that no matter how you set your cable box its going into screen saver mode after 4 hours and no setting will stop it. And cant be controlled from outside the home.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Same thing just started on my X1 box also, never did this before for years, all of a sudden after the last software update, it has power saver mode "ON" even with the settings Set to "OFF" Most annying thing yet from comcast. Ressetting, Refreshing, unpluging, nothing fixes it back to the way it was.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have the same issue. I leave it on for the dogs and come home to find it in screen saver mode. It will ask if Im still here and if i don't click on anything it turns on screen saver. I googled it looking for answers which brought me here.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

@Mykill27 wrote:
I have the same issue. I leave it on for the dogs and come home to find it in screen saver mode. It will ask if Im still here and if i don't click on anything it turns on screen saver. I googled it looking for answers which brought me here.

you said power saver but the feature is screen saver. Comcast does not seem to want to provide an 'off' for the screen saver feature. Set it for the highest hours available. 

Contributor

• 

284 Messages

3 years ago

I have found that turning power save "OFF" keeps my TV on for many hours without a screen saver coming on to the screen.  BTW I have done this over a weekend by mistake so I know it does work.  At one time comcast did have various timers that would allow a customer the option to select how long the STB and the TV would remain on, but some time ago that was removed in my area.  BTW there were many complaints about that, but like most things nothing was done about it by comcast, but that is another long story.  For some reason comcast does not seem to listen to their customers or allow them various options that they can select for their viewing pleasure. But when you have a controlled area without any other choices you have the upper hand with the customer base.  IMHO.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have Had the same problem. After working many years of night shift I now cannot sleep in silence so I sleep with the TV on. Now every 4 hours I wake up when the screen saver comes on and it’s silent. I’ve called and spoken to 4 people who act like they arent sure why you cannot turn it off even though it says that power save is off. They have offered to send new boxes but I happens to every TV in the house so I’m sure it’s not a malfunctioning of the box. It’s enough to make me want to leave Comcast. They are very unresponsive to the complaints.

Regular Visitor

• 

13 Messages

I have the exact same issue.  Every 5 hours the screen saver turns on and if I'm trying to sleep my eyes pop open reacting to the silence.

It is beyond frustrating that Comcast will not give their customers an option to 100 percent disable the screen saver.  If they can't/won't fix this "feature" I'll be looking at other options for my tv entertainment.  Seeing as how this appears to have been an ongoing issue for years confidence is low that anyone over there even cares that much...

Visitor

• 

23 Messages

@LindsayA  Exactly!! Changing the boxes does NOT fix issue.  I tried.  Its maddening that we cannot get answers from techs about this or solutions.  I am considering leaving Comcast over this after 15yrs!! We pay enough.....If I want my TV on all night to sleep...then I should be able to.  No program should be able to force my live TV into sleep mode.  It should only activate if I have paused something!! 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

@LindsayA wrote:
I have Had the same problem. After working many years of night shift I now cannot sleep in silence so I sleep with the TV on. Now every 4 hours I wake up when the screen saver comes on and it’s silent. I’ve called and spoken to 4 people who act like they arent sure why you cannot turn it off even though it says that power save is off. They have offered to send new boxes but I happens to every TV in the house so I’m sure it’s not a malfunctioning of the box. It’s enough to make me want to leave Comcast. They are very unresponsive to the complaints.

use the voice remote command 'about' and reply with the rest of the line to the right of "STB Version".

Regular Visitor

• 

13 Messages

LIndsey never responded to this.  I'm having the same issue as describe by them.

AX061AEI_4.6p14s2_PROD_sdy

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

it was requested to be sure it was an X1 STB (set top box). since this thread started, Xfinity has added a mandatory 'nap' feature but did not explain it nor give a method to turn it off. so basically you get a screen saver and loss of audio after 4 hours of not pressing any cable box remote command (like fast forward, channel up/down, Xfinity button, etc. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I've been trying to get this power saver BS off my TV as well

.I wake up every time it shuts off, n I hate silence in the house so I have to continue 2 turnout back on! 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here