Community Forum

Manually programed xr 15 remote voice command not working

Frequent Visitor

Manually programed xr 15 remote voice command not working

I just got my x1 box and xr15 voice remote. I tried to set up remote at prompt. Nothing happened so I used a manual code. It turns my Samsung tv on and off controls volume and most functions. The input button works but I can't select using up and down arrows. When I try to use voice commands it ask me if I want to set up remote. When I say yes and try it doesn't do anything. I go to setting and the remote settings and hit enter or riht arrow and nothing happens. I reset the remote to factory settings and tried again. I got the same results. I called support they reset my box. None of these did any good.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Manually programed xr 15 remote voice command not working

Your XR15 sounds like it could be working OK. In regards to controlling your TV, the only buttons that will work on your TV are volume, mute, power and input. The up and down arrows will not control anything on the TV just the X1 box.

The X1 remotes will not control the input setting on some TVs. If your TV allows multiple presses of the input button to change inputs you will be OK. However if you need to press any other buttons to cycle or confirm inputs the XR15 will not work.

@iloaders wrote:

I just got my x1 box and xr15 voice remote. I tried to set up remote at prompt. Nothing happened so I used a manual code. It turns my Samsung tv on and off controls volume and most functions. The input button works but I can't select using up and down arrows. When I try to use voice commands it ask me if I want to set up remote. When I say yes and try it doesn't do anything. I go to setting and the remote settings and hit enter or riht arrow and nothing happens. I reset the remote to factory settings and tried again. I got the same results. I called support they reset my box. None of these did any good.

Frequent Visitor

the voice command still won’t work though. When I press the mic button it asks me if i want to set up my remote
Diamond Problem Solver

Did you ever get to a screen that shows a 3 digit code? Until that 3 digit code is entered, no voice commands will work

Press and hold the xfinity and Info buttons for five seconds. Wait for the remote light to change from red to green.
Follow the instructions by entering the three-digit, on-screen pairing code.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Yes, Andrew is right. You programmed the remote to control the TV but you haven't "paired" it to the cable box.

It is more than one step. Please follow Andrews suggestions.

@iloaders wrote:
the voice command still won’t work though. When I press the mic button it asks me if i want to set up my remote

Frequent Visitor

no that’s the problem. i get the green light but no code screen
Gold Problem Solver

Sorry but it probably is the issue. Slow down and read the on screen instructions slowly and carefully.

Many of us have made the same mistake.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your help but with all do respect. I’m not illiterate I would read the screen if there was something to read. the screen you are talking about does not generate. I press the buttons and nothing happens. If I hadn’t tried researching every online support page I wouldn’t be asking for your help.
Diamond Problem Solver

What’s the model of the box? And do you have other X1 boxes? Sorry, your original post was lacking details, there was no way to know what was/wasn’t tried..

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

yes
Frequent Visitor

sorry no just the one
Frequent Visitor

This problem was not resolved. I guess my issue is to complicated to deserve action.
Silver Problem Solver

@iloaders wrote:
This problem was not resolved. I guess my issue is to complicated to deserve action.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/remotes

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your help but I have read this multiple times. It is not the answer.
Gold Problem Solver

You could always have Comcast send a tech out to assist you.

If the problem in Comcast hardware or wiring outside of your house they will not charge you.

@iloaders wrote:
Thanks for your help but I have read this multiple times. It is not the answer.

Contributor

I have had the same problem and have now used 3 different remotes. Sometimes the voice comand will work at first, then stop working. Talked / chatted with "customer service" a few times now to no avail!

Official Employee

Hi all, 

If you're still having issues pairing the xr15 and setting up the voice command let me know by sending your full name to me in private message. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

iloaders, sorry to hear about your experience with the X1 box. This type of experience isn't typical so I'd be happy to investigate what might be causing the lag if you change your mind. Thanks for posting here!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Administrator

All,

We sincerely apologize if you are experiencing issues with your voice remote. If you are experiencing the "Somethings not quite right!" or "Voice commands aren't working right now, try again later!" errors we recommend you wait a few minutes and try again. 

If the issue persists, we also recommend resetting your television box by unplugging it from the power outlet for 30 seconds to 1 minute and plug it back in. 

When programming your remote, did you ever get to a screen that shows a 3 digit code? Until that 3 digit code is entered, no voice commands will work. Press and hold the xfinity and Info buttons for five seconds. Wait for the remote light to change from red to green. Follow the instructions by entering the three-digit, on-screen pairing code.

If your commands are not recognized, make sure you are speaking clearly and at a natural, conversational volume. Hold the remote one to eight inches away while giving a command and hold down the Microphone (Mic) button until you finish speaking. If you are still having trouble, consider whether or not there are other sources of noise near you that may be interfering with your voice commands.

The battery levels in your remote could also have an impact on voice commands. To check your battery level, visit the About section of the X1 Settings menu. If your battery level is red or yellow, try changing your batteries

If you continue to experience issues with the X1 Voice Commands please let us know here.

New Poster

I am having the same exact issue. I got the remote to change volume, channels off/on but I don’t get the 3 digit code for the voice control. Help!
New Poster

I got a new box. Try that
New Poster

It’s putting the three digit code on the other box in the living room. So frustrating. I was on phone with tech support last night for at least an hour. Can boxes be too close together?
New Poster

I have the same issue. My main box is paired with a newer tv and everything works. The 2nd box for our bedroom I had to manually pair with the tv, an Apex tv. The voice command is red and when I push it the screen says "Your remote is paired for voice control!" and to click ok. But ok will not click. It is stuck there. I've also tried re pairing the remote with the box but I do not get the 3 numbers.
New Poster

Yep! Same exact problem I have encountered. No 3 digit code is given after my remote turns from red to green...it just stays on the pairing screen. This will be a bummer if I cant get voice controls to work, as it is a big reason I switched to Xfinity.
Official Employee

Hi All, thanks for posting about your remote pairing concerns. 

The voice remote is one of our most popular products so it is definitely something I want you to enjoy! 

If you've followed the instructions here: 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

and still cannot successfully pair your remote, let me know! You can send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue as iloaders. I have 3 xr15 remotes that we just got and 2 work fine but the 3rd one will work the basic functions but will not work the voice control. When I try to pair it, the code shows up on the other TVs and not the one I am using and I cant go any further.
New Poster

I’m running into the same issue. The 3 digit code is not appearing for 2 X1 boxes. A
Attempted rebooting all devices without resolve. Unsure how to proceed.
New Poster

the remote goes to green then stops, never get to the code showing up.  the "OK" button won't react when we get to pairing the remote.  it worked when the installer programmed it but now it wont

Expert

@KFKING46 wrote:

the remote goes to green then stops, never get to the code showing up.  the "OK" button won't react when we get to pairing the remote.  it worked when the installer programmed it but now it wont

which remote do you have? what is the model of the set top box (go to menu, gear (settings) and about. the part to right of "STB version"

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

XR15 - comcast said i should get a new remote

Silver Problem Solver

@KFKING46 wrote:

XR15 - comcast said i should get a new remote

FYI, I prefer the XR11.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hey Everyone, 

Can you please attempted to unpair (reset) the remote following the instructions here: 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-remote-unpair

and then attempt to repair again following the instructions here: 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xr15-remote/m-p/3020668#M142589

Regular Visitor

Having the same issue. Holding xfinity and info for 5 seconds causes the red light to turn into a green blinking light on the remote, but no code shows up on screen.  Why is this post marked as solved when there is no solution presented?  I have tried unpairing and then following the pairing instructions, but the issue is the same: no onscreen code appears.

Expert

@EricVanWinkle wrote:

Having the same issue. Holding xfinity and info for 5 seconds causes the red light to turn into a green blinking light on the remote, but no code shows up on screen.  Why is this post marked as solved when there is no solution presented?  I have tried unpairing and then following the pairing instructions, but the issue is the same: no onscreen code appears.

what is the model of the set top box you are attempting to program? if it is an xg1v4 move the remote to within a foot of the bottom right hand front edge of the set top box and aim the IR sender (top) end of the remote to that IR window on the set top box. actiavate the settings. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

I have an XG2v2-P box and a XR15-UQ remote. I tried holding it closer anyway, but that didn't change anything.
Expert

@EricVanWinkle wrote:
I have an XG2v2-P box and a XR15-UQ remote. I tried holding it closer anyway, but that didn't change anything.

forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Boxes-and-IR-Locations/td-p/2720333 3rd image down is the pace xg2 and it has the smallest window you may need to push up on it to gtet a clear shot of the window with the remote.

Regular Visitor

To be clear, I can use the IR function of the remote for the xfinity menu and guide and stuff. It is the RF pairing for the point anywhere and voice control functions that is not working. When I hold down the xfinity and info buttons for 5 seconds either the xfinity menu or the info menu comes up. It never goes to the screen where it gives me a 3 digit code to enter. Is there some way to get the 3 digit code for rf pairing? Is it hidden in the menu or can a comcast tech connect to the box and get it? Do I just need a different remote?
New Poster

I called Comcast and they said to get a new remote. But I have two already and neither one works. It did work when the installer was here then stopped. I think it has to do with my brand of TV. Sansui
New Poster

I did the factory reset with Comcast on the phone. Didn't work
Expert

@EricVanWinkle wrote:
To be clear, I can use the IR function of the remote for the xfinity menu and guide and stuff. It is the RF pairing for the point anywhere and voice control functions that is not working. When I hold down the xfinity and info buttons for 5 seconds either the xfinity menu or the info menu comes up. It never goes to the screen where it gives me a 3 digit code to enter. Is there some way to get the 3 digit code for rf pairing? Is it hidden in the menu or can a comcast tech connect to the box and get it? Do I just need a different remote?

the xr15 only works with set top boxes via RF. only for programming does the IR emitter work for x1 set top boxes.  the IR is used to control TV, soundbar, receiver.

Regular Visitor

That seems to be contradictory to the link you posted. It says all set top boxes use the same IR code so that means all remotes even unpaired will work with all x1 boxes when pointes at the IR window. I need to pair my x15 with the box so that I can use point anywhere and voice commands. That would be by rf since it wouldn't have to be pointing at the IR window on the box.
Expert

@EricVanWinkle wrote:
That seems to be contradictory to the link you posted. It says all set top boxes use the same IR code so that means all remotes even unpaired will work with all x1 boxes when pointes at the IR window. I need to pair my x15 with the box so that I can use point anywhere and voice commands. That would be by rf since it wouldn't have to be pointing at the IR window on the box.

the xr15 is different, not designed to be used with x1 via IR. universal remotes and xr11's can communicate (not voice commands) with x1 set top boxes via IR.

Regular Visitor

Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that my remote's point anywhere and voice commands aren't working. The 3 digit code never comes up when trying to pair it to the box. Any more info on how to get that code other than holding xfinity and info, which isn't working?
Expert

@EricVanWinkle wrote:
Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that my remote's point anywhere and voice commands aren't working. The 3 digit code never comes up when trying to pair it to the box. Any more info on how to get that code other than holding xfinity and info, which isn't working?

ig you have another set top box try same procedure (don't have to pair). did code come up? or go to xfinity store and try the command. did you find the ir window on the STB and verify it is not covered or blocked (dust/tape-plastic)?