Community Forum

Intermittent Video Issues Affecting Some Customers

Highlighted
Administrator

Intermittent Video Issues Affecting Some Customers

A firmware update was recently deployed to TV Boxes that may be causing picture issues for some customers

The update includes a feature that defaults TV Boxes to the highest screen resolution the TV is capable of. This is causing a black screen, blue screen, a 'no signal' messages, or a "flickering" screen for some customers. 

We are working to deploy an update as soon as possible to fix this issue for all customers. In the meantime, we recommend the following steps to help mitigate this issue until we can provide that update.

Steps to mitigate the issue: 

• Press “exit, exit, exit, 720” on your Xfinity remote. This sets the resolution to 720. 
    • This should bring back the picture
  • Once the picture is on the screen click the Xfinity button on your remote > click on the gear icon (settings) > click Preference> click General > choose prefer Best Available Resolution > set to Off
  • You can attempt to adjust their resolution to higher resolutions if desired at this point
  • If the new resolution fails to display it will go back to the previous setting in 30 seconds. 

*Note*: Autotune to "Best Available Resolution" will not be automatically turned back on when the update is deployed. We recommend that you turn this feature back on at the end of next week after the update is complete.

Thank you for your continued patience as we work to resolve this permanently. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

HDMI to DVI adapter

I have an old HDTV that does not have an HDMI port. It does have a DVI port. I have been connecting to the Xfinity X1 cable box by using the HDMI out port  and going through the adapter to connect to the DVI port on my HDTV. to get the audio I connected to the componet audio on the X1 box. this has worked for more than 3 years with a great picture and no problems.

then about 2 weeks ago, the something happened. The picture was still great, but about every 10 seconf the screen flashes white for a second and the picture returns. The remote has sporadic communication.

Of course, spent a lot of time with tech help to no avail. they suggested I exchange cable box. I did

but no change. I now have my TV connnected using componet cables ( the only option if you don't have HDMI). Everything works except you cannot select display resolution through the help, Device settings, just get a blank screen.

so my quesion is does Comcast no longer support the use of an HDMI to DVI adapter?

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: HDMI to DVI adapter

@SDoo1 

Welcome to the Xfinity Forum and thank you for posting your questions here. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We recommend changing the resolution on your Xfinity television box. You can easily do so by pressing the following button sequence on you Xfinity remote, “exit exit exit 720”.

Please let us know if you continue to experience issues. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Contributor

There is a new-ish picture resolution Comcast offers and a lot of TVs have a issue with it and older adapters don’t seem to support it.(1080p60) The Xfinity rep is probably correct but if you press "EXIT EXIT EXIT 1080" it will change the picture resolution from 1080p60 to 1080i. Some Xfinity stores also offer HDMI to Component converters (Still does not support 1080p60)

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you so much for your help. I did as you instructed and that solved the problem. I am wondering if an update somehow changed the output of the HDMI port to 1080p from 720p that the technician set the box on when he installed the x1 box. Apparently, a new box comes with the HDMI port set at 1080p (which makes sense), but that was incompatible with my old TV and did not allow the DVI connector to work, as well as some functions under the device settings.

Everything is working now. Thanks again.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Intermittent Video Issues Affecting Some Customers

All 3 of my TVs were affected. One says preferred resolution was unavailable. The other one won’t let me get to anything when I click xfinity. Says having trouble connecting g. And the 3rd is frozen. I’ve done two restarts and no luck .
Highlighted
New Poster

Still having roblems with this

Highlighted
Contributor

I am having white light flashing issue and cannot get a service rep. to work on a solution.  Where is Comcast support!?

Highlighted
Contributor

If it's a secondary box, that means the adapter is in `panic`or trouble mode. Which means it lost connection and is searching for a signal. 

I am not a Comcast Employee, I am just a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the post. Can you post a followup comment when the update that fixes this issue is deployed?

Highlighted
New Poster

What is the expected resolution time on this update, doesn't sound like there will be a notice
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Sounded like a good fix but did not work. Hitting exit exit exit 720 did not change anything.
CBS 433 is the worst !
Highlighted
New Poster

Nothing happens when I press exit exit exit 720 except it changes the channel to 720. We’ve had picture issues for over a week. I can’t get in touch with a human at Comcast. Please help.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

This has been affecting my 4k X1 DVR in south SFbay since Friday June 26, when I first contacted Xfinity about this,  and continues as I write this,  even after a later DVR swap. 

I was originally  told this would be resolved by July 3, on Sunday 7/5 called again, provided a replacement X1 , after the CSR insisted this would resolve the issue.

Speaking to Xfinity reps at Customer Service is a waste of time, even referencing this thread directly, with this ID #3347927 to them does not help. Just met with indifference and they are not being provided information/updates on this issue.

Changing resolution every time the equipment has been off or in standby overnight,  or for a long period during the day, (which causes the flashing  issue to return) and having to go back and do this picture resolution work-around,  is a bother, and not a solution.

This thread hasn't been updated in nearly 2 weeks by Xfinity, when is a fix to this buggy firmware going to be rolled out? My wiring has been checked out my Tivo in another room is at least unaffected....Can the powers-that-be provide at least the courtesy of an update? 

Please provide customers a reply, in what timeframe will this now be resolved, since the orignal post states this should have been resolved by July 3

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

UGH - Still not working!

And it is eating up my data usage because the DATA light is always blinking 

I have a plain tv box in one room and a dvr box in another.

Do I need new boxes?

How do I check on the status of my reference ticket CR913601016 from when I contacted them last week?

Thanks

Highlighted
Expert

@franceshd wrote:

UGH - Still not working!

And it is eating up my data usage because the DATA light is always blinking 

I have a plain tv box in one room and a dvr box in another.

Do I need new boxes?

How do I check on the status of my reference ticket CR913601016 from when I contacted them last week?

Thanks

The data the set top box uses for maintaining its software (refreshes) does not count toward your data usage. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

July 8, 2020 - I'm still having this issue. Has the software been updated yet?

Highlighted
New Poster

I have done restarts over & over for 2 weeks and one new box and still looking at black screen❣❣

Highlighted
Administrator

All,

Thank you for your continued patience as we work to resolve this issue permanently. We will be updating this main thread once there is an official resolution to share. In the meantime, we continue to recommend using the steps outlined in the first post on this thread as a temporary resolution.

Thank you again for your patience.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for replying, RustyBen.

Well, almost 20% of my data usage has been used up in little over a week with no On Demand usage . Does that include recorded programs on the box?

THANK YOU!

Frances

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Channel viewings are great. But...

1)  the ON DEMAND button has error CL-17 

2)  the SEARCH button has error MOGSCNA

3)  the XFINITY button does not have a  gear icon/settings choice

exit-exit-exit-720 takes me to channel number 720

PLEASE HELP !

THanks so much

Frances

Highlighted
New Poster

My screen keeps freezing. Tried the "exit exit exit 720 and that just takes me to channel 720. Also, no gear icon. Screen freezes every 5 seconds apx. This has been happening for almost 2 weeks. The first time I had a problem, an error code popped up. This is driving me crazy and maybe to Fios. Can you help? Thanks.

Highlighted
Expert

@franceshd wrote:

Thanks for replying, RustyBen.

Well, almost 20% of my data usage has been used up in little over a week with no On Demand usage . Does that include recorded programs on the box?

THANK YOU!

Frances

I'm pretty much freaking out too as my usage is 304 which is (was priorto covid) around 350/month. but set top box updates are 'on' Comcast and all internal traffic to comcast and is not supposed to count.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Expert

@franceshd wrote:

Channel viewings are great. But...

1)  the ON DEMAND button has error CL-17 

2)  the SEARCH button has error MOGSCNA

3)  the XFINITY button does not have a  gear icon/settings choice

exit-exit-exit-720 takes me to channel number 720

PLEASE HELP !

THanks so much

Frances

this is the X1 area of the forum. you seem to be speaking of non-X1 equipment issues.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

OOOPS. Sorry. I did not know that.

Highlighted
New Poster

All the channles say " to be announced" I've reset the box 3 times, I've done the exit, exit, exit 720 and still nothing!! It's getting old real fast!!

Highlighted
Expert

@franceshd wrote:

OOOPS. Sorry. I did not know that.

watch for a new reply here, previous answers were based upon X1 (bundle with Cable TV and Internet (and more) details.

Highlighted
New Poster

I had this problem. Was Finally solved when customer service suggested boost pro. My speed was too slow. No more freezing and error code.
Highlighted
New Poster

This is the first time I’ve seen anything about this video issue. Maybe an email to your clients or a letter or a news story online. I’ve gone to 2 different stores 4 times this week, during posted hours, and each one has been closed. Will we all be getting refunds on our very expensive service??
Highlighted
Contributor

@Rustyben:  Did you move this thread? When I click on your link for the moved thread, the page says "access denied".  Whenever a thread is "moved", the link says "access denied".

Highlighted
Expert

@Rik11 wrote:

@Rustyben:  Did you move this thread? When I click on your link for the moved thread, the page says "access denied".  Whenever a thread is "moved", the link says "access denied".

it was a duplicate post from the 'missy' above. the reference to the post is 'where' it is transferred. eventually the placeholder is also removed from the thread. as you can see this thread is still here.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yay !

Finally made contact with a living, breathing rep after I messaged on Twitter this weekend.

Still swapping messages for a total of 3 - description, name/address and today account number request.

Will post when resolved.

THANKS for all the support and comments.

We're all mired in this together

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Exit Exit Exit 720 doesn't work when all you have is the blue screen.  How about some information as to how to get back to a screen where I can do Exit Exit Exit 720?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I restarted the box 3 times.  I did a full refresh.  I still could not get off the blue screen.

Here is what did work for me to get off the blue screen:  I cycled my TV through the inputs back to HDMI 1 where the X1 box is plugged in.  That got the regular xfinity screen back.  I hit Exit Exit Exit and nothing happened so that is just nonsense.  I did go into the video settings and put it on 720 instead of Best Available.  We'll see how long this lasts.

Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity is saying I have used all my data and may have to pay extra for it.  Too many outages lately has caused us to use data.  Do NOT charge customers for using data during an outage.  We are not responsible for the outage - YOU ARE AT FAULT.  We should NOT PAY DATA DURING AN OUTAGE!!!  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I wanted to update, since no-one from Xfinity is.

My XG1v4 took the new update to 116.0.1 dated July 8 and I still have the same problems of the box defaulting to 1080p each time I shut the tv off for a period ranging from 15 minutes to overnight,  I start with a tv screen that slowly begins with thin lines and the longer TV is on, moves into flashing, partial screen, and the longer I watch, the worse it becomes until the flashing is so frequent TV is unwatchable.

The DVR is set to non powersaving mode

Changing the output to 2160p (60)  continues to remedy the flashing, lines, etc.  and  stops it immediately, that is until I turn off my TV for a period of time

I checked this thread because I  just now received a call from 844-536-9475 which purports to be Xfinity Level 2 technical support, but is just a call center in India with nearly impossible to understand the reps, (I tried 3 times, lots of  background noise, and reps that read from a script).  How can this call center be advanced support?

Highlighted
Expert

@thugrilla5 wrote:

I wanted to update, since no-one from Xfinity is.

My XG1v4 took the new update to 116.0.1 dated July 8 and I still have the same problems of the box defaulting to 1080p each time I shut the tv off for a period ranging from 15 minutes to overnight,  I start with a tv screen that slowly begins with thin lines and the longer TV is on, moves into flashing, partial screen, and the longer I watch, the worse it becomes until the flashing is so frequent TV is unwatchable.

The DVR is set to non powersaving mode

Changing the output to 2160p (60)  continues to remedy the flashing, lines, etc.  and  stops it immediately, that is until I turn off my TV for a period of time

I checked this thread because I  just now received a call from 844-536-9475 which purports to be Xfinity Level 2 technical support, but is just a call center in India with nearly impossible to understand the reps, (I tried 3 times, lots of  background noise, and reps that read from a script).  How can this call center be advanced support?

is the HDMI cable from the set top box attached to the HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 on your TV? does the plastic on the TV around the connector say it is 4k capable?

Highlighted
Contributor

I've done as the answer suggested - waited and still shows viewed from dvr have multiple pixelated sections. 

Highlighted
Expert

@dvdjck wrote:

I've done as the answer suggested - waited and still shows viewed from dvr have multiple pixelated sections. 

when that happens note where you are so you can find it again within the recording. go to a smart phone/tablet and use the Xfinity stream TV app and view the same area there and observe the same part of the recording. Does it happen there too? if not the pause/break may just be a network or your broadcast channel glitch.

New Poster

My cable box keeps turning on and off and I tried the work around as suggested and I am still having the same issue. I hope my bill will be discounted due to the lack of reliability. What is the fix? I do not see a resolution nor do I see a fix.
Highlighted
New Poster

I have been having this issue for about 4 weeks.   Why wasn't this announcement sent directly to Comcast customers.   I have talked to Comcast customer service 8-10 times, had a service rep come out and replace my box and still having this issue.  Now another service tech is coming to check the outside line.   This is ridiculous.   I get the blank service, pixelation on numerous channels constantly.   I cannot understand why Comcast customer service never mentioned this issue to me.   Unacceptable.  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

A possible solution to consider is to to xfinity store and trading each failed devices for lower-cost less-software fewer-bugs devices such as "HD-DTA" less-functional settop-boxes, and get a printed receipt for each device/serial-number turned in.    Additionally it seems that you would be entitled to a refund for failed device rental costs for duration of the failure.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

As a follow up after countless calls and restarts, I final spoke to a technician that could think!
He discovered I had a bad line signal! Tech came out next day and picture is now perfect.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

CONGRATS!

I finally heard back and was told AGAIN to just switcch to X1.

But X1 does not have TCM or Nat Geo channels after this month

Highlighted
New Poster

This fix suggestion does nothing for our TVs. The only buttons that change the "No Signal" message on the TVs are input and power. Pressing exit does nothing, nor do any other buttons. We have replaced cables and tried multiple devices, none of them work when connected to our box/DVR. The DVR is recording because we can access the recordings on the Xfinity Stream app, but that does us no good on the TVs themselves.

Highlighted
New Poster

" I final spoke to a technician (who) discovered I had a bad line signal! Tech came out next day and picture is now perfect."

Please tell us how you were able to actually reach a tech.

Ive been getting these various frustrating messages for days now.

z

Highlighted
New Poster

this has happened to me three nights in a row.

Why am I paying for a service that is intermittently off?

z

Highlighted
New Poster

How did you get a live person? I've spent DAYS on the phone just trying to get an agent to speak with me. When they said they would call back when available, I got an extended ringback. 

I have 2 channels that are completely pixelated. So, obvi this is a COMCAST issue; my device works perfectly otherwise.  NONE of the suggestions have worked for me. 

Congrats on getting through at ALL and for also getting to speak with someone knowledgeable. COMCAST NEEDS TO SUPPORT ITS CUSTOMERS. This has been going on for weeks. Just reply to every customer here and fix their issue. If it is a "line signal" per this person who got thru, just fix it! 

BTW: Exit, exit, exit 720 does nothing but take me to channel 720. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I had an Xfinity tech at my house for several hours last Friday to troubleshoot why I am suddenly  getting sound but no picture after 15 years on two of my TV's connected via component. It looks as though Xfinity's unnanouced firmware update seems to have resulted in causing legacy boxes to no longer work with component connections. I don't know if that's the case with X1. We tested HDMI on the same non-working box and it appears to work fine (in my case it's not easy for me to swap out component for HDMI because the boxes and the TV's are on different floors). Xfinity does not have a fix. In fact, the service tech who came out managed to slip out of my house without so much as a whisper after he failed to fix the problem. Since then I have unsuccessfully tried to escalate this to to Tier 2 tech support to see if maybe an HDMI to component converter could be a work around.  Rather than be connected to Tier 2 support,  I have been thrown into an endless loop with Xfinity's Philipino call center telling me "Oh, I'm so sorry for your problems Mr. Don, but first we need to to start all over troubleshooting the problem.  Please can we refresh the boxes now, Mr. Don blah, blah blah.......?"  Ater the 10th time I have given up and am waiting for delivery of a converter I purchased to see if it works. Supposedly some Xfinity stores have component to HDMI converters readily available and "they're free" (according to another tech I spoke to somewhere behind the Iron Curtain). Not according to the store near me - the employee looked at me like I was on drugs telling me he's "never, ever heard of this". I will repost with the results of the converter.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Call customer service 800 number
Talk to robot
They will resend signal to no avail.
Then call back and say you still have issues.
If luck they will put you on call back list after you wait 2 hours.
If that does not work , repeat.
When that does not work tell robot you want to change service, drop some service. They might contact you to somebody that might connect you to reliable tech.
It took me a month to resolve.
Good luck