WNeuetc's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

Sunday, October 21st, 2018 11:00 AM

Closed

How To Switch X15 / XG1v4-A) From RF Mode To IR Mode?

I just upgraded my X1 to a XG1v4-A box with the X15 remote.  My Harmony 650 universal remote only works in IR mode.  How can I switch my X15 remote and XG1v4-A to IR mode so that my Harmony 650 will control the box?

-Wes

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

Press and hold A and D buttons at the same time, LED goes from red to green and press 987. Note, this will disable Voice Commands

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

981-wipes all codes
987-wipes the remote’s RF pairing, leaving audio/video device codes entact

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

that sequence didn't put my xr15 into IR mode (just info). If I recall correctly the XR15 only works via IR RF (edited) with the xg1v4 UHD/4k set top box. the use of a harmony remote is not blocked nor interfered with in any way by having the XR15 or any other RF enabled remote paired to the set top box. A post or two has said the IR receiver for the Xg1v4 is very hard to 'hit' with IR and one post found turning the set top box upside down (still facing front) allowed the IR to more easily enter the xg1v4 by the IR remote.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

All remotes are IR until you RF pair, the above sequence is a factory reset, clearing the codes. 981 clears all codes.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

that sequence didn't put my xr15 into IR mode (just info). If I recall correctly the XR15 only works via IR RF (edited) with the xg1v4 UHD/4k set top box. the use of a harmony remote is not blocked nor interfered with in any way by having the XR15 or any other RF enabled remote paired to the set top box. A post or two has said the IR receiver for the Xg1v4 is very hard to 'hit' with IR and one post found turning the set top box upside down (still facing front) allowed the IR to more easily enter the xg1v4 by the IR remote.

Well my experience is that indeed the Harmony remote (in my case the 650, but *all* Harmony remotes - ultimately - use IR,  remote or hub regardless) does *not* communicate with the XG1v4-A box when the box is set to RF mode. 

Would agree for sure that the XG1v4-A box is very insensitive to IR signals - in some cases practically useless without an IR booster device.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@WNeuetc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Well my experience is that indeed the Harmony remote (in my case the 650, but *all* Harmony remotes - ultimately - use IR,  remote or hub regardless) does *not* communicate with the XG1v4-A box when the box is set to RF mode. 

Would agree for sure that the XG1v4-A box is very insensitive to IR signals - in some cases practically useless without an IR booster device. 

pairing a remote via RF does not turn off the set top box ability/function to receive IR commands. For example you could have two separate XR11 remotes one paired by RF and the other issuing commands via IR. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

@WNeuetc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

pairing a remote via RF does not turn off the set top box ability/function to receive IR commands. For example you could have two separate XR11 remotes one paired by RF and the other issuing commands via IR. 

I had certainly hoped that would be the case, but at least with my XG1v4-A box as soon as I put the XR15 remote into RF mode (done via the 'pairing' option in the box set up menu the box became totally unresponsive to the Harmony 650 remote, even when placed directly in front of the box.  It seems pointless that this would be the case - why not allow both IR and RF signals to work simultaneously (like with my Roku TV) but - at least so far - that's what I've experienced. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks Andrew!  It did the trick - my XR-15 and XG1v4-A box are now (apparently) in IR mode, thus allowing my Harmony 650 to control the Xfinity box again.  The only downside (and it's a significant downside) is the XG1v4-A's very poor IR sensitivity (commented on by many others on this forum).  

One additional question:  Why must the box be exclusively  in *either* IR or RF control mode, rather than allowing them to both be active at the same time?  My Roku TV (TCL) works like this - native remote is RF and my Harmony 650 is IR and they both work just fine.

-Wes

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Andrew,

One other question:  Where on the XG1v4-A box is the IR sensor located?  I'm planning on installing an IR repeater to address the poor IR sensitivity of the box and need to know where to position the repeater emitter.

Thanks!

-Wes

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

@CCAndrew wrote:
All remotes are IR until you RF pair, the above sequence is a factory reset, clearing the codes. 981 clears all codes.

Could you please clarify what the difference is between the 987 and 981 commands?  What is cleared or reset by each?

-Wes

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

previous post by Official employee says in bottom right area.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the clarification!

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

previous post by Official employee says in bottom right area.

Yep.  I believe that's likely the case.  There's a small (very small) clear plastic piece lower right which is probably the IR receiver window. Both the location and the size would help explain the often reported poor IR sensitivity of the XG1v4 boxes.

In any case, I've ordered a IR repeater, which - hopefully - will address the sensitivity problem.  Will keep the forum posted on how it works out.

-Wes

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

Having similar issues with IR using new Samsung TV universal remote.   Previous STB. (Non-4K) worked perfectly.   XG1v4 IR is junk!    What ir blaster are you looking at?    

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

UPDATE!!!-  IR Repeater  from AMAZON recieved today...  Works Great!!   

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here