Community Forum

Guide issue

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Guide issue

When we are watching tv, in order to check what is on the other channels without changing channel, we hit the Guide button and then the arrow and up and down buttons.  But if a channel we want to check what is on is far away, we hit the number buttons to get to channel.  It USED to stay on guide and show us what's on that channel.  
NOW it changes our tv to that channel INSTEAD of staying on the guide. 
We have been doing it for years and now suddenly in the past week it usually changes the channel.

is this happening to others?  Any suggestions how to fix this issue?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Guide issue


@Laneyny wrote:

When we are watching tv, in order to check what is on the other channels without changing channel, we hit the Guide button and then the arrow and up and down buttons.  But if a channel we want to check what is on is far away, we hit the number buttons to get to channel.  It USED to stay on guide and show us what's on that channel.  
NOW it changes our tv to that channel INSTEAD of staying on the guide. 
We have been doing it for years and now suddenly in the past week it usually changes the channel.

is this happening to others?  Any suggestions how to fix this issue?


If you are watching live TV and press '48' and wait until the search box on right side populates with data and hit OK (don't select the channel by pressing down) AND the channel is in your subscription (shown on the guide) the guide will scroll to that channel. If you do it too fast or select a channel not available on your default guide view the channel will change.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Guide issue

Thank you for your reply, but before I do anything, I'm not sure I get what I'm doing. What is hitting 48 do?  
Why is it malfunctioning suddenly by changing to that channel while I'm trying to stay on guide and not necessarily trying to watch that channel yet. 

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Guide issue


@Laneyny wrote:

Thank you for your reply, but before I do anything, I'm not sure I get what I'm doing. What is hitting 48 do?  
Why is it malfunctioning suddenly by changing to that channel while I'm trying to stay on guide and not necessarily trying to watch that channel yet. 


the 48 is an example channel number. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

VIEW ANOTHER CHANNEL INFO ON GUIDE WITHOUT CHANGING CURRENT CHANNEL

This has been happening more frequently over the past few months so its time to ask about it. On the guide when we wanted to see whats on another channel  without 'going there' we just input the other channel and the guide view changed BUT  now it changes the channel and all we want to do is view the guide info.  Happens more and more and its extremely frurstating.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: VIEW ANOTHER CHANNEL INFO ON GUIDE WITHOUT CHANGING CURRENT CHANNEL


@TerriB wrote:

This has been happening more frequently over the past few months so its time to ask about it. On the guide when we wanted to see whats on another channel  without 'going there' we just input the other channel and the guide view changed BUT  now it changes the channel and all we want to do is view the guide info.  Happens more and more and its extremely frurstating.


Is it possible that when you type in the  channel number and the guide view jumps to that channel, your remote button somehow is sticking and the OK button was entered twice?

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: VIEW ANOTHER CHANNEL INFO ON GUIDE WITHOUT CHANGING CURRENT CHANNEL


@jav6joev wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

This has been happening more frequently over the past few months so its time to ask about it. On the guide when we wanted to see whats on another channel  without 'going there' we just input the other channel and the guide view changed BUT  now it changes the channel and all we want to do is view the guide info.  Happens more and more and its extremely frurstating.


Is it possible that when you type in the  channel number and the guide view jumps to that channel, your remote button somehow is sticking and the OK button was entered twice?


===

That was a good thought but nope its not sticking. I even input  the channel number and wait a bit but it still jumps to the channel.  Just tried it with another remote and same thing happened. Its really aggravating. I even restarted X1 but didn't help.

 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Guide issue

I have the same problem.  It's not sticking and I am not scrolling too fast.  If you are in guide view, and want to see what's on another channel you 

1. select Guide

2. Enter a channel number

Then it should behave the same way every time.  What it used to do is display whatever channel you selected in guide view.  Now it does that about 50% of the time.  The other 50% of the time it switches channels.  It's definitely a bug and I wonder if anyone knows how to fix it?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Guide issue


@ransue wrote:

I have the same problem.  It's not sticking and I am not scrolling too fast.  If you are in guide view, and want to see what's on another channel you 

1. select Guide

2. Enter a channel number

Then it should behave the same way every time.  What it used to do is display whatever channel you selected in guide view.  Now it does that about 50% of the time.  The other 50% of the time it switches channels.  It's definitely a bug and I wonder if anyone knows how to fix it?


remember when you type a channel number it is really a search. if the search has not populated with other than the channel number there is only one choice and the channel change is made. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Guide issue

After your reply about letting the channel load, I did that, and now the channel doesn't change.  Sometimes the channel loading is slower, so it is possible I was hitting ok to fast.  So far, this suggestion has helped me, but if that changes I will repost.

Thank you.

Ps I hope the rest of the replies get answers to their issues if this doesn't solve it.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: Guide issue


@Rustyben wrote:

@ransue wrote:

I have the same problem.  It's not sticking and I am not scrolling too fast.  If you are in guide view, and want to see what's on another channel you 

1. select Guide

2. Enter a channel number

Then it should behave the same way every time.  What it used to do is display whatever channel you selected in guide view.  Now it does that about 50% of the time.  The other 50% of the time it switches channels.  It's definitely a bug and I wonder if anyone knows how to fix it?


remember when you type a channel number it is really a search. if the search has not populated with other than the channel number there is only one choice and the channel change is made. 


==

 

Sorry but I  disagree. I do agree its a search but  its not a 'change channel' command.  This behavoir just started a  while back and our process has always been the same. Typing a channel number while on the guide always resulted in just viewing the program listing for that channel and never changed to it to the requested  channel. Now its changing more than 50% of the time.  Doesn't matter if we do it slowly or more quickly. Now we have to scroll thru page after page ad-nauseum to get to the guide listing for the desired channel 'just to look'.  Royal pain when you are on a low channel and want to look at a much higher channel's listing

 

 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Guide issue

Exactly.  The behavior for the last several years is 

1. select guide

2. key in a channel number

response was:

guide displays that channel

 

this happened 100% of the time.  Now it happens 50% of the time.  That's a defect.  Think about it this way, you go to amazon, put some stuff in your cart, you select to complete your order and it completes 50% of your order.  Did you key too fast, scroll too slowly, or does amazon have a defect?  Anyway, I hope someone from Xfinity reads this and fixes it. 

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: Guide issue


@ransue wrote:

Exactly.  The behavior for the last several years is 

1. select guide

2. key in a channel number

response was:

guide displays that channel

 

this happened 100% of the time.  Now it happens 50% of the time.  That's a defect.  Think about it this way, you go to amazon, put some stuff in your cart, you select to complete your order and it completes 50% of your order.  Did you key too fast, scroll too slowly, or does amazon have a defect?  Anyway, I hope someone from Xfinity reads this and fixes it. 


--

I have noticed in the past several months we can't get the attention of the Comcast reps that used to monitor these forums . I don't understand why they are not reacting in any way to the real issues we bring forward and this is definitely one of them. Its broken!  Calling cust svc does NOTHING.

 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Guide issue

Someone listed this topic as answered by  laneymy on 5/25.  This is not answered because it was still happening as of yesterday.  No one voted for that answer so who decided this was answered?  Please reverse that and address the defect.  Thank you.

 
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: Guide issue


@ransue wrote:

Someone listed this topic as answered by  laneymy on 5/25.  This is not answered because it was still happening as of yesterday.  No one voted for that answer so who decided this was answered?  Please reverse that and address the defect.  Thank you.

 

I echo the issue that this topic shows 'answered'.  NOW it says 'solved' and  nothing could be further from the truth. As I said yesterday we rarely get anyone from Comcast responding  to our pleas for someone to look into broken features. The forums used to be heavily monitored by official employees so I guess thats broken too. I am adding tags to see if we can anyone from Comcast to respond.

 

@Comcast_Support 

@ComcastAlly

@ComcastMorgan

@ComcastJessie

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Guide issue

I figured it out. If you are in the guide menu and want to see what's on another channel, but still stay in the guide ... enter the selected channel number and WAIT until the pop up box loads fully. The press enter to go to the selected channel in the guide.

 

If you enter a number in the guide and press enter too soon it'll take you to the selected programming.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: Guide issue

David...was getting ready to say same thing! Learned that if we wait until ALL the numbers in the box 'turn blue' and then press ok it goes to that channel on the guide without changing the channel. Doesn't seem like we had to do that before but whatever works!

 

The things we have to do!!!

====

 

Re: Guide issue

I figured it out. If you are in the guide menu and want to see what's on another channel, but still stay in the guide ... enter the selected channel number and WAIT until the pop up box loads fully. The press enter to go to the selected channel in the guide.

 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Guide issue

I am glad I found this thread. This issue has been driving me nuts for more than a month. I couldn't figure out the rhyme or reason why it would only switch to the channel occasionally. I'm glad you guys figured it out, thanks

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: Guide issue


@PghSteelerFan43 wrote:

I am glad I found this thread. This issue has been driving me nuts for more than a month. I couldn't figure out the rhyme or reason why it would only switch to the channel occasionally. I'm glad you guys figured it out, thanks


---

 

Its just a shame that users have to figure out work arounds rather than Comcast   being more customer focused and posting something to resolve these glitches.