Community Forum

Ghost recordings showing up on recorded list

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Ghost recordings showing up on recorded list

Why are there ghost recordings showing up on my DVR? This morning I have more than a dozen shows on my recording list that were not there yesterday. Almost all are programs that were originally recorded by me last July and August but had been deleted many months ago.  When I try to watch one I get a message that they are not available but they are showing as part of my percentage total DVR  full and when I delete them the percentage full decreases.

 

So is anyone else having a similar problem? Why is this happening and how do we stop it? I don't want to not have room to record a new program because my system is full of ghost programs.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Ghost recordings showing up on recorded list

I have a similar issue - I delete the show but it is still on the DVR listing but I cannot watch it because it is "unavailable check back later."  And I can do you one better - I recorded a show (1 hour).  It was on the DVR when I left for work in the morning and when I got home it had disappeared.  It was not in the deleted list.  Just disappeared. . . . and there was plenty of space on the DVR (was at 43 percent full).  I think somehow this is linked to the cloud because when I called Xfinity the lady said my box was 99% full - um no it is not.  I offered to send her a photo of the box but as usual they don't know how to respond to something that isn't in the script. 

 

Now the box is recording repeats of shows even though they are set to only record "new."  I also recorded a show called Carter but the recording itself is 2 episodes of Last Man Standing.   The listing shows the picture of the Carter show but that is not what is there.  I have called Xfinity twice about the issue both times spent over 2 hours on the phone with them.  No solutions offered other than the unplug reboot will send signal .  . . 

 

It was suggested that I replace the DVR after today's phone call.  That being said I asked the person on the phone if I could get the recordings transferred over to a new box and the reply was "sure of course."  So if there are any technicians on here I would like to know if this statement is true.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Ghost recordings showing up on recorded list


@winger1960 wrote:

I have a similar issue - I delete the show but it is still on the DVR listing but I cannot watch it because it is "unavailable check back later."  And I can do you one better - I recorded a show (1 hour).  It was on the DVR when I left for work in the morning and when I got home it had disappeared.  It was not in the deleted list.  Just disappeared. . . . and there was plenty of space on the DVR (was at 43 percent full).  I think somehow this is linked to the cloud because when I called Xfinity the lady said my box was 99% full - um no it is not.  I offered to send her a photo of the box but as usual they don't know how to respond to something that isn't in the script. 

 

Now the box is recording repeats of shows even though they are set to only record "new."  I also recorded a show called Carter but the recording itself is 2 episodes of Last Man Standing.   The listing shows the picture of the Carter show but that is not what is there.  I have called Xfinity twice about the issue both times spent over 2 hours on the phone with them.  No solutions offered other than the unplug reboot will send signal .  . . 

 

It was suggested that I replace the DVR after today's phone call.  That being said I asked the person on the phone if I could get the recordings transferred over to a new box and the reply was "sure of course."  So if there are any technicians on here I would like to know if this statement is true.


does a smart phone/tablet/roku/desk-laptop show the recordings?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Ghost recordings showing up on recorded list


@winger1960 wrote:

I have a similar issue - I delete the show but it is still on the DVR listing but I cannot watch it because it is "unavailable check back later."  And I can do you one better - I recorded a show (1 hour).  It was on the DVR when I left for work in the morning and when I got home it had disappeared.  It was not in the deleted list.  Just disappeared. . . . and there was plenty of space on the DVR (was at 43 percent full).  I think somehow this is linked to the cloud because when I called Xfinity the lady said my box was 99% full - um no it is not.  I offered to send her a photo of the box but as usual they don't know how to respond to something that isn't in the script. 

 

Now the box is recording repeats of shows even though they are set to only record "new."  I also recorded a show called Carter but the recording itself is 2 episodes of Last Man Standing.   The listing shows the picture of the Carter show but that is not what is there.  I have called Xfinity twice about the issue both times spent over 2 hours on the phone with them.  No solutions offered other than the unplug reboot will send signal .  . . 

 

It was suggested that I replace the DVR after today's phone call.  That being said I asked the person on the phone if I could get the recordings transferred over to a new box and the reply was "sure of course."  So if there are any technicians on here I would like to know if this statement is true.


I guess I am lucky it hasn't deleted any of the real programs. Except when my DVR is full then it does delete the oldest programs that have not been marked keep until 1 year. And yes they don't show up in the deleted list. They just disappear.I lost Superbowl 51 because I recorded too much on my DVR and didn't realize it. Which is why I had to get the second DVR. It could be that you have a defective disk so the percentage says 40% but the usable space is 99%.

 

I have a similar problem with recordings. The TV guide doesn't always clearly display "New" from "Repeats" so I find many repeats listed in my scheduled recordings which I have to delete each week. One way I have tried to deal with this is to set the recording to keep only 1 episode. So after recording the real "New" episode it then will delete the "New" recording as it records  a duplicate repeat. So as long as I watch that show before the next "New" episode is released it is OK and I don't have to monitor the scheduled list. I also had the other problem. There was a two part episode of Gunsmoke and I had the DVR set to record repeats but because the two episodes had the exact same name, except for part 1 and part 2, so it only recorded the first episode and not the second that came on in the next half hour even though I had manually told it to record both episodes. So now when I see something that looks like that I go into the channel recordings and set the time recording so the name of the show isn't mentioned. Then it works.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ghost recordings showing up on recorded list

New/repeat is the responsibility of the content provider; Xfinity/Comcast has no control over that.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Ghost recordings showing up on recorded list


@RobertWy wrote:

New/repeat is the responsibility of the content provider; Xfinity/Comcast has no control over that.


I disagree. Comcast hires the content provider and can demand the content provider do a better job or Comcast will find someone who can do it better.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Ghost recordings showing up on recorded list


@WindsurfMaui wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

New/repeat is the responsibility of the content provider; Xfinity/Comcast has no control over that.


I disagree. Comcast hires the content provider and can demand the content provider do a better job or Comcast will find someone who can do it better.


content providers are studios where actors create the scenes, editors compose the video and they are paid by the various networks. Comcast makes the network programming available to subscribers. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!