shimadk1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, March 12th, 2019 11:00 PM

Closed

DVR recordings disappeared

All my recordings prior to 12/31/2018 disappeared today without me deleting them.  Is there another problem that has occurred with the cloud recordings or has the daily update just removed older recordings?

There was was sufficient space so please don't tell me that they were deleted to make room for new recordings. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Comcast sent me an email stating that I was receiving a credit for one month DVR use for one of our DVRs to make up for wiping out 9 months of recordings. That’s their idea of fair compensation.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I just noticed today - was fine last night - that a majority of my recordings just disappeared?!?!?!  What is the resolution to get these back?

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

Hey All, 

Appreciate you all taking the time to let us know about your missing recordings. Losing recordings can be a frustrating experience especially if you have some old recordings that you love. I have a few shows I watched when I was younger on my DVR that I have recorded whole seasons. If I lost these shows, I'd be heartbroken.  Please check your trash folder to make sure they are not there. If they are not, please let me know. Send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right-hand side.  

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Hello,

I'm having the same issue. My physical DVR is working perfectly. It will record every show that I want and the show will not be deleted until I delete it myself, or I run out of space. However the cloud is a different story. For example I currently only have 24 recordings on my DVR and the oldest recording is only 4 days old. On the cloud I only have 15 recordings. Overnight the oldest 9 recordings were deleted as if I had run out of space however my cloud DVR settings on the Xfinity Stream app are showing that I'm only 19% full.

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

Janglea, 

Thanks for taking the time to post on the forums about your DVR and cloud DVR concerns. 

There will often be a mismatch between the storage amounts you see on the DVR and the cloud DVR because the units of measurement are different. For example, your DVR will store up to 500GB of content to its internal hard drive. The Cloud DVR feature will only store up to 60 hours of content. And that content will only be 60 hours of the most recently recorded programs. 

Overnight the oldest 9 recordings were deleted as if I had run out of space 

Do you see these recordings in your trash can folder? Were these programs removed from the cloud as well? 

Ken

Contributor

• 

57 Messages

5 years ago

Hello Ken

Thanks for reaching out.

I did not see these in Trash. If you could provide a simple set of steps to test the cloud question, I would be happy to test that.

I would like to avoid starting up a smart device in the house and streaming content and searching for these missing recording. Hoping there is a easier method. I have limited time to do this test.

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

Fedge, 

You don't need to start a smart device to test the cloud content! You can also log into your account via your computer to check what is on the cloud: https://www.xfinity.com/stream/

From there you can log in as necessary and then navigate to the "recording's" pane on the left side of the screen. Then click "My recordings" and there will be listed all of your cloud recordings. 

Ken

Contributor

• 

57 Messages

5 years ago

Easy steps - thanks

I Posted that I had

Had 16 classic doctor who's saved on Friday evening

I see in Cloud

2 Doctor Who Classics today

But I also see that the cloud space is 100% full

Also nothing in Cloud deleted folder

I could see that the cloud 100% - caused deleting to occur

But my local DVR's had plenty of local space 40% to retain these

How would the system handle this (no space in cloud but space local)?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

That is exactly my question, too. Why would the cloud delete items when there is plenty of space on the hard drive of the DVR??  I thought the recording should go to the DVR first and then to the cloud.  

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

🙂 

Glad you were able to locate them! 

The cloud isn't able to delete items on your physical storage on the main DVR if it runs out of space. The DVR is supposed to record the content (up to 500GB) and the newest 60 hours of that content goes to the cloud. If you are recording a ton of stuff, the cloud will continue to move the older recordings out of the cloud to make room for the new content on the cloud. So for example, if you record 50 hours of Seinfeld but then record 20 new hours of Game of Thrones, your cloud would show the 20 hours of Game of Thrones and the 40 hours of Seinfeld. All 60 hours of Seinfeld and 20 hours of Seinfeld would remain on the actual DVR storage unless those totals were more than 500GB (I think that equates to about 150 hours). 

If you exceed the 60-hour limit, your most recent recordings will replace older recordings unless the older recordings are marked as Save for 1 Year.

If you're missing recorded programs on both the cloud and the internal harddrive, please let me know. I will attempt to troubleshoot and get tech ops involved as necessary.  Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

Fedge, 

I'm right there with you. We will post a resolution if this is a known issue. A few weeks ago I did work with a few customers who saw some missing recordings and we were able to trace it to a known bug in a previous firmware code. It has been corrected since then so I'm happy to investigate if there is an issue with your firmware/ see if we can get these recordings back. 

Can you send me a private message with your full name? This'll allow me to access your account and start troubleshooting. Thanks for being so understanding and patient. My goal is to get to the bottom of this and report here on this thread, assuming the issues are linked (and otherwise for that matter). 

Ken

Contributor

• 

57 Messages

5 years ago

I am missing the 16 doctor whos from cloud and local.

I had no space on cloud

But I had plenty of space on local DVR.

I would like to see these restored, but I also would understand if these cannot be restored.

The more important issue is moving forward - resolving the unexplained deletions of DVR recordings from local/cloud when there is plenty of space available. This is being reported to Comcast in multi threads.

There is a great deal of expense laid out to record and preserve these recordings and if we take the time to manage thee space, we should feel confident that the recording will be preserved.

I hope I worded this in a constructive and positive way to ensure that we have eyes on a possible bug that is causing DVR recording to be removed when space exist.

Feel free to reach out to me in a PM for any private info needed as I share the same goal as you - to resolve for the future.

If Comcast finds cause and resolution - this should be posted publicly for all (IMHO).

Thanks Ken

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Hi I tried to send you a personal message but can't figure out how.  I clicked on your name and it brought me to your about page.  I am experience the same problem with my recordings deleted.  There was room, they were not over a year, and they are not in my deleted folder. 

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

All of my recordings have disappeared also. I cannot figure out how to send you a private message. Once I hit close to 60 hours it deletes everything that is old. It used to save a lot more than that. I read you said 500 GB is saved on the local DVR and that should be about 150 hours in HD I assume. Other sites say 60 hours HD total period. I am so confused. Having had U-Verse in the past which is at least 150 hours in HD I have never had this problem until I moved and had to get Xfinity. 

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

butterdov and tvines1616--

As per our forums guidelines, your private message access is deactivated until you post publicly at least one time. Now that you have done so, you should be able to send a private message. Thanks for posting on the forums! Please send me a private message so we can begin troubleshooting 🙂 

Ken

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here