Dlichman's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Friday, January 17th, 2020 6:00 AM

Closed

DVR non functional during internet outage

I am deeply disappointed that when the internet is down,I can’t access programs I’ve recorded on the DVR. The whole point is to have it stored locally so I can watch anytime, but the huge flaw in the system is that, although the program is here, you require that I be connected to the internet to have access to it. Not really a viable recording then is it?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

That is one of the flaws of X1. Your box is more like what is called a 'thin client'. Its software that relies heavily on a network connection for all data. If the box is unable to connect to the servers, it is just a power-hungry brick.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

@Dlichman wrote:
I am deeply disappointed that when the internet is down,I can’t access programs I’ve recorded on the DVR. The whole point is to have it stored locally so I can watch anytime, but the huge flaw in the system is that, although the program is here, you require that I be connected to the internet to have access to it. Not really a viable recording then is it?

I live in Houston and we have frequent power outages and that is why we have rabbit ears to watch local channels (if the weather hasn't knocked them offline).

How is that relevant to the OP's cloud DVR issue ?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

fwiw I just watch on the cloud DVR using cell data until the interruption has ended.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here