Tmurphy72's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, November 17th, 2019 10:00 AM

Closed

DVR box began locking up.

I started having issues with my DVR box in that it would lock up while trying to pause, ff or rewind. Then it would not exit, or respond in any way. Powering down and restarting results in an error screen. Repeated attempts were fruitless. Shut it off for several hours then it works. For a while that is. After viewing for an hour or so it happens again. What can it be?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Upstream pwr was reading 58.0 Tenth dBmV. Tech cam out today. Culprit was corrosion at the drop from the pole. US Pwr no down to 46.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Tmurphy72 wrote:
I started having issues with my DVR box in that it would lock up while trying to pause, ff or rewind. Then it would not exit, or respond in any way. Powering down and restarting results in an error screen. Repeated attempts were fruitless. Shut it off for several hours then it works. For a while that is. After viewing for an hour or so it happens again. What can it be?

what was the error message and error number shown?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

The message was something to the effect: We seem to have problems connecting to the internet. Please check and tighten your connectors, unplug the power for 10 seconds... Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. The error code was RK 030034, or something like that. I left the unit unplugged for about 3 or 4 hours. Then tried it again. Works fine now, but have a feeling it's heat related and will be back again.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

New cable box has same issue. Error message on screen reads "Sorry, we're having some trouble.
Please tighten your cable connections then restart your TV Box, which can often fix common issues." Code is RDK-03004.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Tmurphy72 wrote:
New cable box has same issue. Error message on screen reads "Sorry, we're having some trouble.
Please tighten your cable connections then restart your TV Box, which can often fix common issues." Code is RDK-03004.

do you have an attic amp that is plugged in somewhere in your home? may be knocked loose. 003004 is very weak signal from comcast received by the set top box. if there is a powered splitter there is an LED that should be illuminated. if not, something is unplugged.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

No powered splitter. A four way was installed by a Comcast installer and another 3 yrs later by a Comcast service tech in May. I upgraded 2 of the cables to the TV's with RG 6 as instructed by him. He returned to install their fittings. Was all fine until Sat.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Tmurphy72 wrote:
No powered splitter. A four way was installed by a Comcast installer and another 3 yrs later by a Comcast service tech in May. I upgraded 2 of the cables to the TV's with RG 6 as instructed by him. He returned to install their fittings. Was all fine until Sat.

to self diagnose if you can get into your outside cable box interconnect location, connect a cable box and TV directly to the POE filter output and see if you can connect (must be a hub like xg1 DVR or XG2.). if you can do that did the TV work? if you can't get there but can get to the splitter connect to the wire that connects to the splitter that says 'input'. (disconnect from the splitter).

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

It appears that there are two POE filters on the line from the drop. One is in the box noted by an elongated connector which is approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and another of about the same length on the input to the splitter. The tv box was working this morning as it was yesterday morning, however, by mid-morning yesterday the box locked up and I couldn't get it to work all day. Even with a new box picked up from Comcast. The signal strength showed DS pwr of -.4 dBmV & snr of 40.2 Tenth dB at 5:00 a.m. By 7:30 the numbers were -.1 dBmV & 40.0 Tenth dB

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Tmurphy72 wrote:
It appears that there are two POE filters on the line from the drop. One is in the box noted by an elongated connector which is approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and another of about the same length on the input to the splitter. The tv box was working this morning as it was yesterday morning, however, by mid-morning yesterday the box locked up and I couldn't get it to work all day. Even with a new box picked up from Comcast. The signal strength showed DS pwr of -.4 dBmV & snr of 40.2 Tenth dB at 5:00 a.m. By 7:30 the numbers were -.1 dBmV & 40.0 Tenth dB

if it is a barrel (as opposed to an entry POE with a grounding bracket, that is all you need. the numbers you show are trivially different (should be at or near 0.0). Were those the readings at the demarcation box? if so, after you get a reading reinstall that set top box and do the readings from that connection.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Was there upstream levels (you need both)? You may need a tech out instead of swapping equipment
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here