Raid's profile

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

Thursday, December 10th, 2020 9:00 PM

Closed

Cloud Storage Determinations

Hello,

I asked the comcast escalation team if they could tell me what determines where my recording will reside, and they could not. See, I have recorded some things and some of them are available via stream inside my home network and some are not. I would assume that some were recorded on the DVR and some in the cloud. I also don't think its a licensing issue since its in my internal network. It also does not appear to have anything to do with how much space is available on either storage (yes, I know they are different capacities).

What makes this detrmination then? I cannot find a common pattern that explains why one recording is in the cloud and one is not. It's a real bummer recording something, taking the laptop outside in the sun and finding out you can't watch it.

Please advise and thank you in advance for your help.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

If a DVR fails or power outage, it goes to the cloud. If you record an IP channel it’s on the cloud
There’s also this
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Stream-Website/Known-Issue-impacting-some-Xfinity-Stream-and-Xfinity-X1/m-p/3393733

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

3 years ago

Hi and thank you for the info! Yes it would makes sense that cloud would be a failover for localized storage and that it would be preferred destination for WAN-based broadcasting.

So are my DVR recordings available from a mobile device within my own network? I'm still trying to figure out why some things are available, some are not. Some things went to cloud (non-ip based and without any issues to the DVR) and some were recorded to the DVR. I would like to know how to make sure that something I record is available from my computer in my home.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

@Raid wrote:

Hi and thank you for the info! Yes it would makes sense that cloud would be a failover for localized storage and that it would be preferred destination for WAN-based broadcasting.

So are my DVR recordings available from a mobile device within my own network? I'm still trying to figure out why some things are available, some are not. Some things went to cloud (non-ip based and without any issues to the DVR) and some were recorded to the DVR. I would like to know how to make sure that something I record is available from my computer in my home.

when the servers make the command to record a program the command goes to your local DVR and to the separate cloud DVR. the local and cloud DVRs do not know about each other and do not communicate. The home DVR has more space to record programs, while the cloud DVR is 150 hours with older recordings removed as space is needed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here