Community Forum

4K receiver - non DVR

uof2002
Contributor

4K receiver - non DVR

I have the 4k DVR and got a 2nd 4K tv I'd like to get a 4K receiver for and noticed they don't appear to have a coax input.  I have my own router and modem and wondering is the only way to get 4K on a 2nd tv is to rent a Comcast modem/router combo?

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR

Yes, unless you get a second dvr

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
uof2002
Contributor

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR

Is this just a way to force the Comcast modem on someone to get the rental fee?  I just don't see any other rationale.

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR

It uses moca to get live tv and that’s how moca works, dvr talks to gateway, gateway talks to wireless box. See how your personal modem doesn’t fit in the equation?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
uof2002
Contributor

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR

I do, but I guess I was thinking more as to why can't the box just have a coax connection and not be solely wireless?

RobertWy
Silver Problem Solver

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR


@uof2002 wrote:

I do, but I guess I was thinking more as to why can't the box just have a coax connection and not be solely wireless?


There are coax and wireless boxes.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR

I believe the OP is referring to specifically about 4K boxes (see title of the thread).

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
uof2002
Contributor

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR

Yes, I'm referring specifically to a 4K box and wondering why the only option for a non-DVR box would be wireless?  I have a 4K DVR box and now have a 2nd 4K TV I'd like to get a 4K box for.

RobertWy
Silver Problem Solver

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR


@uof2002 wrote:

Yes, I'm referring specifically to a 4K box and wondering why the only option for a non-DVR box would be wireless?  I have a 4K DVR box and now have a 2nd 4K TV I'd like to get a 4K box for.


These are our only option at this time:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Rustyben
Expert

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR


@uof2002 wrote:

Yes, I'm referring specifically to a 4K box and wondering why the only option for a non-DVR box would be wireless?  I have a 4K DVR box and now have a 2nd 4K TV I'd like to get a 4K box for.


although coax is not on the xi6 ethernet is (wired) so you can bypass using wireless but the connection must still go to the same Comcast modem so the MoCA can be put on the ethernet cable. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
jslehrer
Frequent Visitor

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR

I have the same question, can anyone help:

My own cable modem connected to...
... My own router and WiFi access points
4K DVR hooked up to main tv

I now have two more 4K TVs and would like to access 4K Content on them using xfinity companion boxes.

It is my understanding they want you to rent their cable modem, and that the companion box will then talk WiFi to their cable modem/router combination.

I also believe the companion box has an Ethernet port in the back that it can use instead of the WiFi.

Finally I am told the companion boxes are fully cloud based and get all their video from Comcast over the cable modem, not from the home DVR.

Here’s my question:

My tech guy says this will work. They want to get a MOCA adapter, split the coax out of the cable modem running a new line into the MOCA, then ethernet out from the MOCA into my switch. Then they want to run ethernet from the switch to the two companion boxes.

My questions are

1) will this work?

2) is it okay if the switch is the same switch which is switching the rest of my home network, or is this a separate network that should only be used by my cable modem / MOCA / companion boxes.

3) using this setup does it create a new network and subnet, or do the companion boxes and MOCA adapter get ip addresses from my existing dhcp server?

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Rustyben
Expert

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR


@jslehrer wrote:
I have the same question, can anyone help:

My own cable modem connected to...
... My own router and WiFi access points
4K DVR hooked up to main tv

I now have two more 4K TVs and would like to access 4K Content on them using xfinity companion boxes.

It is my understanding they want you to rent their cable modem, and that the companion box will then talk WiFi to their cable modem/router combination.

I also believe the companion box has an Ethernet port in the back that it can use instead of the WiFi.

Finally I am told the companion boxes are fully cloud based and get all their video from Comcast over the cable modem, not from the home DVR.

Here’s my question:

My tech guy says this will work. They want to get a MOCA adapter, split the coax out of the cable modem running a new line into the MOCA, then ethernet out from the MOCA into my switch. Then they want to run ethernet from the switch to the two companion boxes.

My questions are

1) will this work?

2) is it okay if the switch is the same switch which is switching the rest of my home network, or is this a separate network that should only be used by my cable modem / MOCA / companion boxes.

3) using this setup does it create a new network and subnet, or do the companion boxes and MOCA adapter get ip addresses from my existing dhcp server?

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

recordings are made on both the home and cloud DVR, independently. The use of a non XB3/6/7 gateway will cause the xi6 to randomly and often search for a hub (the xg1v4 or an xg2), then hang up as an on-going problem. the cloud DVR recordings are in audio 2.0. a customer owned MoCA is usable if can be tuned away from the MoCA band that Comcast uses. the MoCA adapter will not be able to join the Comcast mesh nor will the Comcast equipment join your adapter's mesh. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
jslehrer
Frequent Visitor

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR

I appreciate you taking the time to help me.  I consider myself somewhat of a computer expert but I'm still having trouble following.


you say recordings can come from the cloud. How will the xi6 play live tv? It doesn't have a coax input, does the live tv come from the cloud as well?

 

when you say the xi6 will "randomly and often search for a hub then hang up as an ongoing problem." Can you explain further? Hang up? What problems will this cause?

 

"cloud dvr recordings are in 2.0." So does this mean if the xi6 obtains the recording from the cloud rather than from a local hub that you won't get surround sound?


can you explain the MOCA piece further? What mesh? Is this good or bad that they can't join each other?

 

thank you for your time.

Rustyben
Expert

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR


@jslehrer wrote:

I appreciate you taking the time to help me.  I consider myself somewhat of a computer expert but I'm still having trouble following.


you say recordings can come from the cloud. How will the xi6 play live tv? It doesn't have a coax input, does the live tv come from the cloud as well?

 

when you say the xi6 will "randomly and often search for a hub then hang up as an ongoing problem." Can you explain further? Hang up? What problems will this cause?

 

"cloud dvr recordings are in 2.0." So does this mean if the xi6 obtains the recording from the cloud rather than from a local hub that you won't get surround sound?


can you explain the MOCA piece further? What mesh? Is this good or bad that they can't join each other?

 

thank you for your time.


if the xi6 can not use MoCA over ethernet to the leased Xfinity gateway, and it finally connects via your own wifi, it will stream IPTV (internet protocol TV) via comcast's servers. 

 

the xi6 will continuously try and fail to connect to a missing leased MoCA gateway giving you errors and frustrating delays to watch.  

 

cloud recordings are only in stereo 2.0. when connected to a home hub (xg1 DVR or XG2 HD with 3 extra tuners it can loan to xi* devices), the full range of audio available can be used by the xi6.

 

google 'cable TV and MoCA' for articles on how the MoCA mesh network works. with wifi, it is MoCA over wifi.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
jslehrer
Frequent Visitor

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR


@Rustyben wrote:if the xi6 can not use MoCA over ethernet to the leased Xfinity gateway, and it finally connects via your own wifi, it will stream IPTV (internet protocol TV) via comcast's servers. 

Here's where I'm confused.  Can we add our own MoCA injector so that the xi6 can connect to the home hub?  If so, does that solve all the problems?

 

Can I split the coax after the cable modem, one goes to the home hub, and one goes to MoCA adapter.  Then, MoCA adapter ethernet out to the xi6.  Will this work?  Will this allow the xi6 to connect to the home hub?  If so, is it okay if the MoCA out eithernet goes to my existing home router/switch, or is this a separate network?

 

All of my equipment is in a rack together (companion boxes, home hub, cable modem, router, switches), so it's easy for me to connect all of this up in any way that would make it work.  I'm just trying to understand if it's possible.

Rustyben
Expert

Re: 4K receiver - non DVR


@jslehrer wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:if the xi6 can not use MoCA over ethernet to the leased Xfinity gateway, and it finally connects via your own wifi, it will stream IPTV (internet protocol TV) via comcast's servers. 

Here's where I'm confused.  Can we add our own MoCA injector so that the xi6 can connect to the home hub?  If so, does that solve all the problems?

 

Can I split the coax after the cable modem, one goes to the home hub, and one goes to MoCA adapter.  Then, MoCA adapter ethernet out to the xi6.  Will this work?  Will this allow the xi6 to connect to the home hub?  If so, is it okay if the MoCA out eithernet goes to my existing home router/switch, or is this a separate network?

 

All of my equipment is in a rack together (companion boxes, home hub, cable modem, router, switches), so it's easy for me to connect all of this up in any way that would make it work.  I'm just trying to understand if it's possible.


X1 set top boxes and the gateway connect to their own private network. If a customer owned MoCA adapter is using that particular frequency then the Xfinity equipment will not join the customer's 'mesh network'. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!