Community Forum

4K boxes require Xfinity Modem?

New Poster

4K boxes require Xfinity Modem?

I chatted with Customer Service to request 4K boxes for my TVs that are 4K, including a DVR.  I have my own cable modem and router so was told that the 4K boxes are wireless and require a leased Xfinity router/modem.  First, is this true, and second, does Comcast have a plan to allow the 4K boxes to work for customers with their own modems/routers?  Thanks.

 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 4K boxes require Xfinity Modem?

Yes and no. There’s a 4K dvr and doesn’t need a Comcast modem/gateway, there’s wireless boxes that depending on the dvr service you were inquiring about DOES need a Comcast modem/gateway. It’s possible you and the agent weren’t sure what the other was referring to, so I’ve escalated it up to an Official Employee that can go over your account needs in private

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: 4K boxes require Xfinity Modem?

Thanks! Upgrading my DVR would be great. That’s on my primary TV. That would leave my other TVs out. So there is no way to add non-DVR 4K boxes at this time? Ever?

Will wait for someone to reach out.
Expert

Re: 4K boxes require Xfinity Modem?


@RenanLlanes wrote:
Thanks! Upgrading my DVR would be great. That’s on my primary TV. That would leave my other TVs out. So there is no way to add non-DVR 4K boxes at this time? Ever?

Will wait for someone to reach out.

you would need a DVR or an Xg2 Hub (no DVR), a working and installed Xfinity rental gateway that has MoCA capability. the HD set top box is an Xi6 and must be able to receive a good signal from the wifi or you can connect the Xi6 via ethernet cable. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: 4K boxes require Xfinity Modem?

Hi @RenanLlanes

 

I can send an updated DVR. Can you please send me a private message with your first and last name as it appears on your account? To send a private message, click on "ComcastChe" and then click "send a message." 

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Can you help with my 4k setup too?

Hey I got my own modem and was told the same thing as the OP. I dont want to get a modem, just the 4k box. Thanks

Expert

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?


@FTrieu109 wrote:

Hey I got my own modem and was told the same thing as the OP. I dont want to get a modem, just the 4k box. Thanks


if you have the x1 service, 4k is via a DVR (xg1v4) or as you described, an xb3/6/7 gateway with a wired/wireless xi6 set top box. Those are the only two set top boxes for 4k at this time.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

So should I call and ask for the xg1v4? Because all of the representatives say i need a new modem no matter what
Expert

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?


@FTrieu109 wrote:
So should I call and ask for the xg1v4? Because all of the representatives say i need a new modem no matter what

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

Greetings, FTrieu109! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day! I certainly understand wanting to make sure you have the latest technology from Comcast to take advantage of your 4k TV. I would like to look into this for you. Can you please send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you?

 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Wireless Cable Boxes/Customer-owned modem

This is more of a comment than a question.   Especially in light of current times, when more people are needing to be housebound and work remotely, I think that it is unreasonable for Xfinity to require leasing of their modem/router in order to have access to its wireless cable boxes and home security services.  Our family invested a lot of time and money in buying modems and routers, and Xfinity should find a way to provide their wireless cable/home security services in such circumstances.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Wireless Cable Boxes/Customer-owned modem

You can get home security if you own your own modem, you just need a special Netgear router installed.
Instead of using wireless boxes, use a Roku(and save money on renting a cable box) or a wired cable box

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

Same issue here, no 4k box without Comcast modem (per rep). 

Expert

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?


@racaraballo wrote:

Same issue here, no 4k box without Comcast modem (per rep). 


ask if the xg1v4 (no clock) DVR is available in your area? 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

I'll second this as well.  I was also told that I cannot get a 4K box unless I rent a gateway (chat ID was 332245694370333633 for reference).  I even said I want a XG1v4 so they knew exactly what I wanted.  The FAQ page does not say that I need to do this.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/uhd-4k-faqs

 

Can someone from Comcast please clarify this?  Super frustrated.

Expert

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?


@Swenny wrote:

I'll second this as well.  I was also told that I cannot get a 4K box unless I rent a gateway (chat ID was 332245694370333633 for reference).  I even said I want a XG1v4 so they knew exactly what I wanted.  The FAQ page does not say that I need to do this.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/uhd-4k-faqs

 

Can someone from Comcast please clarify this?  Super frustrated.


in some markets,  there are no new home DVR equipment being supplied, just the xi6 MoCA over wifi (needs the xb3/xb6/ or xb7 Xfinity device). If you can get a physical xg1v4 DVR for your home (it connects to coax) then the customer owned vs rental xb gateway/modem is not needed for 4k on that set top box.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: 4K boxes require Xfinity Modem?

I am having the same problem as many others describe.  I have a customer owned modem, and an XG1v4 DVR for one 4k TV and have an Xi6 box on the other 4k TV.  The Xi6 constantly gives error code XRE-10007.  Had a technician troubleshoot the problem and was also informed that i need to rent a comcast modem to resolve the problem.  I asked why they couldn't install a second, wired (coax) box such as the XG1v4 and was told that i would have to pay for the second DVR if i wanted to do that.  This makes no sense - i'm paying a lot for X1 service, but can't get a simple TV box to support all the features I'm paying for.  Please help resolve this.

Expert

Re: 4K boxes require Xfinity Modem?


@rppkbp wrote:

I am having the same problem as many others describe.  I have a customer owned modem, and an XG1v4 DVR for one 4k TV and have an Xi6 box on the other 4k TV.  The Xi6 constantly gives error code XRE-10007.  Had a technician troubleshoot the problem and was also informed that i need to rent a comcast modem to resolve the problem.  I asked why they couldn't install a second, wired (coax) box such as the XG1v4 and was told that i would have to pay for the second DVR if i wanted to do that.  This makes no sense - i'm paying a lot for X1 service, but can't get a simple TV box to support all the features I'm paying for.  Please help resolve this.


currently the xi6 needs the Xb3/xb6/xb7 gateway/modem to be able to give you your programming.  you can add a coax connected 2nd xg1. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: 4K boxes require Xfinity Modem?

@Rustyben I asked the technician to install an XG1v4 box to resolve the problem and he told me that he couldn't do that unless i paid a monthly fee for the second DVR.  He gave me his supervisors phone number but nobody picks up when i call.  It's incredibly frustrating to spend hours trying to get this resolved when the solution is obvious to everyone, you included, but Xfinity doesn't resolve it.  Service like this is the reason that customers switch to other providers as soon as they become available.  

Contributor

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

 

QUOTE:

"If you can get a physical xg1v4 DVR for your home (it connects to coax) then the customer owned vs rental xb gateway/modem is not needed for 4k on that set top box."

 

Just for the clarification and straight answer:

Does it mean that  customer owned modem is OK, or I have to have rented the Xfinity modem or any other Xfinity service to be free of errors?

BTW I did order and got XG1v4 and Xi6 boxes after several live conversations with Xfinity Customer service.

Before I ordered the equipment, I was clearly emphasized that I have  my own Xfinity approved MODEM with voice/phone capability (transcript available).

 

Expert

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?


@fq9228 wrote:

 

QUOTE:

"If you can get a physical xg1v4 DVR for your home (it connects to coax) then the customer owned vs rental xb gateway/modem is not needed for 4k on that set top box."

 

Just for the clarification and straight answer:

Does it mean that  customer owned modem is OK, or I have to have rented the Xfinity modem or any other Xfinity service to be free of errors?

BTW I did order and got XG1v4 and Xi6 boxes after several live conversations with Xfinity Customer service.

Before I ordered the equipment, I was clearly emphasized that I have  my own Xfinity approved MODEM with voice/phone capability (transcript available).


without the XB3/6/7 gateways, the xi6 willoperate as an IP device and will not be able to play recordings on your home DVR (recordings currently in cloud are stereo 2.0). with an xb gateway, the xi6 will be connected to the in-home MoCA, and be able to use a tuner and playback recordings that are on the home DVR. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

Just confirmed - connecting to my own modem/voce (ARRIS SBV-3202),  I installed my XG1v4-A and three STB boxes Xi6-T. I can record and play on all devices the recorded material and watch live TV.  The only caveat is that after longer idle time,  Xi6 STB-s should be wake up by changing the previous channel up or down. After this small trick everything is OK during the rest of the day. The error code shows XRE-10007 which actually means nothing (somehow generic) because it can be caused by many different reasons. In fact, I can live with this as I did not find the fix for it . Reading almost the entire Xfinity community help to customers with a setup similar or identical to mine,  did not get the right answer. I hope that some future firmwares will fix this gleach.

Thanks again for helping.

Expert

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?


@fq9228 wrote:

Just confirmed - connecting to my own modem/voce (ARRIS SBV-3202),  I installed my XG1v4-A and three STB boxes Xi6-T. I can record and play on all devices the recorded material and watch live TV.  The only caveat is that after longer idle time,  Xi6 STB-s should be wake up by changing the previous channel up or down. After this small trick everything is OK during the rest of the day. The error code shows XRE-10007 which actually means nothing (somehow generic) because it can be caused by many different reasons. In fact, I can live with this as I did not find the fix for it . Reading almost the entire Xfinity community help to customers with a setup similar or identical to mine,  did not get the right answer. I hope that some future firmwares will fix this gleach.

Thanks again for helping.


since you do not have an xb3/6/7 gateway the xi6 devices do not communicate with your xg1v4 and essentially are the same as using a roku/amazon fire TV device being used. The xb* gateway provides MoCA over ethernet/wifi to the xi6 devices. more info: the xg1v4 has 6 tuners to use to record or loan out. If you did have the xb* gateway your available tuners to watch/record would only be '3' as other 3 would be used by the 3 xi6 devices. if you get the xb* and use it 'not' in bridge mode it would be best to swap one xi6 for an xg2 (coax connected) that has 3 tuners to loan out which keeps the DVR's tuners all available to the DVR.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

QUOTE:
"The xb* gateway provides MoCA over ethernet/wifi to the xi6 devices . . ."

 

I have checked connected devices on my Wi-Fi home network - all three Xi6 boxes and one XG!v4-A DVR box are visible with their local IP numbers (like 192.168.1 .33 etc) with their respective MAC IDs ? What this does tell you about comunications between DVR and TV boxes? Or this does not matter at all . .?   BTW, DVR was shown as wired device. The Xi6 boxess are shown as wireless devices.
I will greatly appreciate your opinion.

Expert

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?


@fq9228 wrote:

QUOTE:
"The xb* gateway provides MoCA over ethernet/wifi to the xi6 devices . . ."

 

I have checked connected devices on my Wi-Fi home network - all three Xi6 boxes and one XG!v4-A DVR box are visible with their local IP numbers (like 192.168.1 .33 etc) with their respective MAC IDs ? What this does tell you about comunications between DVR and TV boxes? Or this does not matter at all . .?   BTW, DVR was shown as wired device. The Xi6 boxess are shown as wireless devices.
I will greatly appreciate your opinion.


using your 'DVR' remote use voice command 'about' what is rest of line to right of STB Version?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

The STB version:

 

AX014AN_4.4p19s1_PROD_sey

Thanks.

STBversion.jpg
Expert

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

the xg1v4 has no wifi capability. that is why I asked for the model number - was thinking it may be another device.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

Lots of interesting discussion, yet I still can't watch 4K content on my second TV unless I rent a comcast modem or rent a second DVR.  How about resolving the problem . . . .

Contributor

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

Sorry, but I have to rephrase my question, despite I wrote in my previous mail that

DVR XG1v4 is connected as a WIRED device.

 

1. On my RAX48 router, DVR XG1v4 is shown as a WIRED device.

 

2. Xi6-T,  slave TV boxes are shown as WIRELESS devices.

 

3. They ALL are also shown on my LAN network.

 

4. On the router "Attached" devices, XG1v4 WIRED)  is attached always  - the Xi6 TV wireless boxes are shown attached (wireless) only when they are in use,  respectfully one, two or all three of these.

 

Still, my question is the same, since I have seen many controversial answers to this topic.

I am still searching for the appropriate answer why every morning I have "manually" wake-up my TV boxes Xi6. It is a simple task - channel up or down and push on the highlighted  info "try again"  (XRE-10007).  No big deal, but it would be nice to fix it.

 

Expert

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?


@fq9228 wrote:

Sorry, but I have to rephrase my question, despite I wrote in my previous mail that

DVR XG1v4 is connected as a WIRED device.

 

1. On my RAX48 router, DVR XG1v4 is shown as a WIRED device.

 

2. Xi6-T,  slave TV boxes are shown as WIRELESS devices.

 

3. They ALL are also shown on my LAN network.

 

4. On the router "Attached" devices, XG1v4 WIRED)  is attached always  - the Xi6 TV wireless boxes are shown attached (wireless) only when they are in use,  respectfully one, two or all three of these.

 

Still, my question is the same, since I have seen many controversial answers to this topic.

I am still searching for the appropriate answer why every morning I have "manually" wake-up my TV boxes Xi6. It is a simple task - channel up or down and push on the highlighted  info "try again"  (XRE-10007).  No big deal, but it would be nice to fix it.


using the remote for your DVR use the about command. what is the rest of the line to the right of STB Version?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

I have already responded to your question:

 

The STB (XG1v4-A)  version is:        AX014AN_4.4p19s1_PROD_sey

Is there anything wrong with my XG1v4-A  ???

 

The STB version of all three my XiG-T boxes is:    TX061AEI_4.4p19s1_PROD_sey

Is everything O.K. with my XiG-T  boxes ??

 

Appreciating your help.

Contributor

Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too?

As you asked again the same question, here is attached the entire "About" info

of my XG1v4-A   DVR.

 

about.jpg