Community Forum

How to send feedback to Comcast VP regarding Stream for older iPads 14001 error

Highlighted
Expert

Re: iPad problem

@candycane49 wrote:

I have a iPad 10.3.3

My xfinity stream app worked for 2yrs and just within the last week it tells me to update but when I try it tells me it's up to date. So what is the problem I can't stream on it.

official answer here 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Research: What does Xfinity Streaming Error Code 14001 Possibly Mean

Hey “expert” shame on you. We understand our devices are old. If we had the money we would replace them like you but newsflash buddy the reason why we are here is because we want answers from Xfinity as to how they are going to keep our business. Frankly, my old iPad and iPhone 6s self is about to walk after this. Mic drop.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: How to send feedback to Comcast VP regarding Stream for older iPads

Shame on you guys. Backing us into a corner to buy newer devices in order to stream content we pay for? So disappointed and appalled that no other solution is provided other than to upgrade. If there is any piece of advice I could give it would be to pass this along to your superiors or marketing agency because you all are losing business over this.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: I pad update 14001 error

I've found you can still use the record function for live tv, then download and watch the recorded video.

1. Set DVR to record a show.

2. Go to your recorded section

3. Find your recorded show and select it.

4. An option appears to download.

5. Download recorded show to the iPad.

6. Once it finishes downloading, it allows you to watch it.

7. "Return" it when you are finished watching it.

8. Then you can delete it from your saved recorded shows.

Thanks,

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: I pad update 14001 error

Great to hear of this workaround.  Thank you for sharing!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

In case you have not noticed Xfinity, we are in the middle of a pandemic with 8% unemployment!  I happen to be a member of that 8% and I know longer have disposable income to upgrade my technology!  I have reduced my xfinity cost while upgrading to "Gig speed" and not it is costing me less for the full xfinity package (Phone, Cable TV, and internet) all my devices worked until this update and now I am paying, YES paying, for something I can't use. You claim in your ad's that you can run stream on all your devices, that's not true, FALSE ADVERTISING.  An upgrade to your service is a great Idea , but if you are excluding fully functioning operating systems just because they are older or not the correct "bit 32/64" that's just lazy programming. You should support equipment that is at least ten years old as operating systems get released and scraped within a year or so "Windows 8" or some hardware is utilizing older technology to be more cost effective. You are writing a paid application that has a bug you seem to refuse to fix because it's a little more work to support your full community.  I wiould not give a small child a new $1000.00 dollar tablet or laptop but would gladly let them use my older equipment that is perfectly functional.  This was written on that offensive IOS 10.03.03 IPad you don't want to support, even used on older version of Safari web browser to access my account.. Bet you would let me pay my bill from this device, you always want your money'!

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Streaming no longer available to older iPads?

The older iPads CANNOT BE UPDATED to 12.0. There is no 12.0 available for them. Why did you not keep the app downward compatible with older iOS versions? I’m guessing you KNOWINGLY KICKED THOUSANDS OF CUSTOMERS OFF YOUR STREAMING SERVICE BY DOING THIS! Yes I’m yelling at you because you did this deliberately!
Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity stream app stoped working on IPad

sometime in September my app stoped working on IPad. It says that I need newest version. I tried uninstall and reinstall and the same issue. I tried to post review for developers to let them know that wathever they did is not working. Please can you return app to the prior version or make it work. Thank you 

Highlighted
New Poster

Please can you return prior version of the app? The update you've done is not working for your customers. Look how many of us have the same issue. Please return version that was working. Thank you in advance for respecting your customers. 

Highlighted
Expert

fwiw some apps are already notifying that next version will no longer support iOS 12. at least 12 is still supported on the stream TV app.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Here is where you can provide feedback to the

Executive Vice President and Chief Customer Experience Officer, Comcast Cable

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Xfinity stream app stoped working on IPad

@LNaydenko wrote:

sometime in September my app stoped working on IPad. It says that I need newest version. I tried uninstall and reinstall and the same issue. I tried to post review for developers to let them know that wathever they did is not working. Please can you return app to the prior version or make it work. Thank you 

the older devices won't run the newer app. the minimum iOS level for the stream TV app is now iOS 12. some have said you can still watching completed recordings on the older version. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Stream for iPad App Inoperable Update Required 14001 Bug

Two weeks later still no fix, reply, or end in sight. Comcast does not have our backs, just Apple's new ipads. Save your money and dump xfinity or buy a new ipad....those are our only options. 😞

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

the older devices won't run the newer app. the minimum iOS level for the stream TV app is now iOS 12.

Rustyben, so glad to hear that you're wealthy enough to buy all of us new iPads every 2 years and ship them to us in advance of any change in technology!

I am not, however, glad that you're wealthy enough to not care about the waste produced and the impact on the environment caused by forcing us to toss out our iPads every 2 years.

Edit: Sorry for the ad hominem attack, I waited weeks in the hopes of better news before posting and my frustration got the best of me.

Highlighted
Expert

@dumbname wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

the older devices won't run the newer app. the minimum iOS level for the stream TV app is now iOS 12.

Rustyben, so glad to hear that you're wealthy enough to buy all of us new iPads every 2 years and ship them to us in advance of any change in technology!

I am not, however, glad that you're wealthy enough to not care about the waste produced and the impact on the environment caused by forcing us to toss out our iPads every 2 years.

Edit: Sorry for the ad hominem attack, I waited weeks in the hopes of better news before posting and my frustration got the best of me.

not a problem. I had to upgrade because of another app that I use for investing demanded iOS12. someone posted that they can still play recordings and download recordings with their older ipad.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

This is complete nonsense! Pretty sure that Comcast needs to send their software engineers back to school, develop new sw requirements, or maybe this is just a gift to Apple to incite iPad purchases.

First, the user interface for the Stream APP is as simple as you can possibly get. The APP interface is not anything close to what needs to be using a state of the art operating system. In fact, by ignoring the update popup, you can navigate the APP and make menu choices just like normal. The only time the update requirement intrudes is at the time of playback.

Hmm, playback of video, streamed on the web. Sounds complicated, but wait! By some miracle of computer science, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc. all are somehow able to play HD video on my iPad with OS 10.3.3.

I should stop this, I really need to remember that this is standard ops for Comcast.

Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity Stream App on Ipad - Support for ios 10.3.3 and stream version 5.8.1.12354(6587f4f7a2),

My ipad Xfinity Stream app requested that I upgrade to latest version of app on the appstore, error 14001 !  The banner message declared that I would not be disappointed! 

Well, the upgrade prevented me from viewing any TV channels and rendered my iPad useless for this purpose.  I couldnt be more disappointed! 

On exploring I found that I was able to view CNBC using the CNBC app on my iPad, it requires me to login using the Xfinity Stream app but will quite happily stream live CNBC to my iPad.  that's wonderful but why cant Xfinity Stream do same!  

In effect Xfinity/Comcast is trying to force one to buy new equipment in order to watch a streaming service when really there is no technical need to do so.  

Its reasonable to be requested to upgrade in order to get access to new features but not just to maintain the status quo! 

It seems Xfinity's commercial policy is to take advantage of long standing loyal customers in this way. Its very sad and makes one think of jumping ship to ATT and fiber speeds! 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Stream App on Ipad - Support for ios 10.3.3 and stream version 5.8.1.12354(6587f4f7a2),

I agree, Comcast is taking advantage of it's customers! I have the same issue, my iPad is iOS 10.3.3, because I have an older model of iPad, I cannot use the app service which is a part of what I am paying for, please refund part of my monthly payment or fix the bug that so many of us are having!

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Request Error 14001

Don’t update it....you won’t ever be able to stream again without buying a new iPad
Highlighted
New Poster

You ruined the streaming app for older ipad models! Can it / will it be fixed?

The last "Update" to your xfinity streaming app stopped the app from working. I thought there was a problem with the app, so i tried to download it again.  No go.  So i deleted the app and tried to reinstall it from scratch.  That's when i found out that the xfinity streaming app will NOT WORK with my version of ipad.  What the heck???

Is something being done to address this, or do i just need to turn off Xfinity entirely?  I travel a great deal under normal (non-covid) circumstances.  When i do, i watch television exclusively on the iphone xfinity streaming app.  If it is no longer an option, I'll just turn it off and watch streaming services.  Seems like i'm watching them more and more anyway. Wondering why i bother with xfinity at all these days.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Stream App on Ipad - Support for ios 10.3.3 and stream version 5.8.1.12354(6587f4f7a2),

The "upgrade" to the streaming app killed my streaming app completely. i get a message saying that the app is no supported by my ipad.  Thanks a lot xfinity.  i'm furious.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Last Saturday, I used a link to  contact senior management,and received a reply within a few hours from "The Office of Tom Karinshak" . Part of their reponse was " There has been a recent update to our Xfinity Stream App. The Apple device must be running iOS 12.0 or later. I will send information on the minimum system requirements for using the Xfinity Stream App with your Apple device."

My response back in part said

"Thank you for the prompt response. I don't think you (or comcast system designers) understand the problem. Older Apple devices cannot be upgraded to iOS12.0 or later. For example, when I check my iPad settings-Software Update, the message is "iOS 10.3.3 Your software is up to date".

Thus, the only solution is to buy a new Apple product, which is in essence untenable from a financial viewpoint for some, maybe a significant portion, of your subscribers." 

Five days later, I have yet to receive a response. Maybe I need to go back to that link, and post the email chain.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Not surprising to receive a bot response and then NO response.

I did the exact same thing, and i'm sure the we all received the same reply.

"Your feedback is important to us as we strive to improve our products, services, and overall customer experience. Please fill out the form below to help us serve you better."

I wonder how true is the above statement ⁉️

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@TriTiaTri, you do realize that without the right OS on the iPad, it's impossible to update? Without the update, you cannot stream! Comcast is explicitly informing us that the Stream App will not work without purchasing a new iPad.

Highlighted
Expert

@ArvinaBarnes wrote:

The "upgrade" to the streaming app killed my streaming app completely. i get a message saying that the app is no supported by my ipad.  Thanks a lot xfinity.  i'm furious.

https://www.lifewire.com/why-cant-i-upgrade-ipad-1994326  verifies that the issue is change from 32-bit iOS to 64-bit. Nothing but a hardware upgrade can fix that. each year, as stated in the article, new hardware that supports the then-latest iOS is put out. As support for processors used in the past becomes impossible, that version of iOS device is locked into its iOS version.  

Highlighted
Expert

@plummerl wrote:

@TriTiaTri, you do realize that without the right OS on the iPad, it's impossible to update? Without the update, you cannot stream! Comcast is explicitly informing us that the Stream App will not work without purchasing a new iPad.

app developers have to now code in 64-bit and the older iOS hardware is only capable of running 32-bit. 

Highlighted
Expert

Re: You ruined the streaming app for older ipad models! Can it / will it be fixed?

@ArvinaBarnes wrote:

The last "Update" to your xfinity streaming app stopped the app from working. I thought there was a problem with the app, so i tried to download it again.  No go.  So i deleted the app and tried to reinstall it from scratch.  That's when i found out that the xfinity streaming app will NOT WORK with my version of ipad.  What the heck???

Is something being done to address this, or do i just need to turn off Xfinity entirely?  I travel a great deal under normal (non-covid) circumstances.  When i do, i watch television exclusively on the iphone xfinity streaming app.  If it is no longer an option, I'll just turn it off and watch streaming services.  Seems like i'm watching them more and more anyway. Wondering why i bother with xfinity at all these days.  

apple has dropped support for 32 bit processors with new iOS 14+ . the models now deemed obsolete were first issued in late 2016. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Ridiculous! The sw engineers could very easily fork the app to accommodate both 32-bit & 64-bit apps! This is an easily managed task with any sw application, using standard industry sw development management systems. The decision to eliminate 32-bit (if it's true) might save a few bucks, but this will be at the expense of each customer being required to expend hundred of dollars, just to be able to run a single app! Rustyben, you're the apparent expert (I'm just a 40+ year embedded sw engineer), how are Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, etc. somehow supporting both platforms? I frequently still update 10-20 apps on my 32-bit iPad, apps which are also on 64-bit iPad! So don't try to make an excuse that this is because Comcast engineers were somehow forced to abandon 32-bit platforms.
Highlighted
New Poster

I disagree, I run 32bit and 64bit applications on windows 64 bit os, it's simply a question of wanting to support existing customers or not. There are several mechanisms that can be used to achieve this, even on a 64 bit os, still many infrastructure components are still 32 bit architecture, it's a design choice, regards, paul.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: You ruined the streaming app for older ipad models! Can it / will it be fixed?

If the older device worked before with Xfinity Stream why would it not work now unless it was Xfinity that changed the interface with the app? Why could there not be an app for these older devices in addition to the new device app?

Highlighted
New Poster

my ipad

My iPad  has quit working on Xfinity for my recordings and live television I keep getting a 14001 code

Highlighted
New Poster

My iPad will not work on xfinity anymore. error 14001 what is the problem

?

Highlighted
Expert

@WIS1311 wrote:

If the older device worked before with Xfinity Stream why would it not work now unless it was Xfinity that changed the interface with the app? Why could there not be an app for these older devices in addition to the new device app?

in a nutshell, no. the newer iOS required does not support the older hardware. some have reported they can still play recordings.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Nice dodge there Rustyben, I fail to see anything concerning the OS in her/his question. The real answer is that for whatever cheap reason, Comcast has turned there back on subscribers still satisfied with iPads that are running 32-bit applications without issues, applications that continue to be updated. From companies supporting 32-bit and 64-bit.