Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

New Poster

Tv remote app

I used to be able to browse the tv schedule and set future shows to record using the tv remote app.  Now the only option I have is watch channel.  The record option is no longer there.  I made no changes.  Anyone else have this issue?  Using an iPad.

DC3DA9BC-D1DA-4490-A9A4-AF4585C07823.jpeg
Frequent Visitor

Re: Tv remote app

Frequent Visitor

You would think if Comcast can email you your bill is ready they could have emailed about not being able to record from your computer and or phone.

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

I agree. I used this function all the time--it was great.  Taken away without notice--typical of Comcast--can't even send an email warning.  Now we're back to sitting in front of the TV with the remote and setting recordings on the screen guide.  That better not be the next thing to go, or there's no need for the DVR!!

New Poster

Thanks for the clarification.  I am puzzled.  If I recall correctly when I had directv, I could go to a website and schedule recordings as well.  Prior to the smartphone explosion, but the same concept.  I wonder if they also got sued.

Expert
Moved:

Roku Xfinity Stream beta

Most Valued Poster

There's a real easy solution to this whole issue.  TIVO is a small niche company which owns lots of intellectual property, makes a good product but are really nothing better then a bunch of patent trolls.

Comcast, on the other hand is so big it owns half the world so all it needs to do is buy TIVO lock, stock and bagel. Chump change for Comcast.  End of story.  All this patent trolling goes away, we get our recording button back and if, and this is a big if, we get the option to have TIVO software on our boxes instead of X1.  

New Poster

This is a complete joke. Not letting your customers know this is happening is poor customer service. Wasted my time trying to figure out what was wrong . As always no issues raising monthly bills and taking away important services
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

So if new updates have reduced functionality, ie. we can't remotely schedule recordings any more, why is my bill the same amount?

If you're reducing my services you should be reducing my charges.

Pony up and license 20th century technology already...

Regular Visitor

Not very happy with Comcast/Xfinity took out the ability to remotely control my DVR.  Very disappointed.  Comcast service is not cheap...this remote programming ability made it worth the price.  Now I am no sure?????

Contributor

Re: Missing "Record" option on individual programs

<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Solicitation">. It took several phone calls to comcast until I reached someone who knew what they are talking about. It was dropped without notice to use because of a patent dispute. Check here for more information. https://www.geekwire.com/2017/comcast-subscribers-lose-ability-set-dvr-recordings-via-xfinity-remote...

EIther Comcast should have paid a rental fee for use of the patent until it could be resolved or have a backup option. No excuse for Comcast not to let us know what is happening.I relied on this fucntionality regularly.When I was in the hospital recently I was able to set up and modify recordings. Comcast at minimum owes us an explanation was to their plans about handling this matter. 

A DISGRUNTLED USER

Most Valued Poster

percho wrote:

You would think if Comcast can email you your bill is ready they could have emailed about not being able to record from your computer and or phone.

I have signed up for every type of email Comcast offers for and never have seen anything about updates, removed features,etc. I get email from them only when they think I have sent spam which is never the truth and for billing stuff.  I also get emails about tech appts and orders that are not meant for me. I have seen personal information about several users because they use the wrong email address and I have gone so far as to call the person and leave a message to have them contact Comcast about it.  If it were not for the forums I would be totally in the dark. Many of my friends don't have a clue about when the platform changes. Think of the entire Comcast community of users compared to the numbers that belong to the forums. Would it kill them to broadcast emails when things change? 

Frequent Visitor

Since we will now need to spend much more time on the X1 program listings grid screen setting the recordings we can no longer set from within the app, wouldn’t this be a good time to reconsider taking away the picture-in-picture (PIP) on that screen? Please restore this feature! It should be a BASIC feature!

Most Valued Poster

TiredRetired wrote:

There's a real easy solution to this whole issue.  TIVO is a small niche company which owns lots of intellectual property, makes a good product but are really nothing better then a bunch of patent trolls.

Comcast, on the other hand is so big it owns half the world so all it needs to do is buy TIVO lock, stock and bagel. Chump change for Comcast.  End of story.  All this patent trolling goes away, we get our recording button back and if, and this is a big if, we get the option to have TIVO software on our boxes instead of X1.  

I was just thinking same thing. It would be great for Comcast and tremendous for the customer. We could get  back  the recording buffer and joy would ring out throughout the nation.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Missing "Record" option on individual programs

When I first heard about this last month, it occurred to me that Comcast had a few options - buy Rovi/Tivo (which might take some time to get through FTC and possibly FCC regulators, not to mention Congress), or negotiate with Rovi for licensing terms.  Certainly, these are eactly the sorts of things that Microsoft and others have done over the years to bypass such rulings or avoid them in the first place.  But since the original suit was brought a year ago, and having worked as a software programmer/engineer for almost the entirety of my adult life, I'm amazed that a company the size of Comcast didn't immediately start working on their own software solution for this problem and have it ready to go should the case go south on them, as it eventually did.  This lack of foresight appears to be par for the course all too many times for this company.

Most Valued Poster

TerriB wrote:

TiredRetired wrote:

I was just thinking same thing. It would be great for Comcast and tremendous for the customer. We could get  back  the recording buffer and joy would ring out throughout the nation.

Sure, I mean Comcast is soo big and rich why not?  Chump change for them would be an understatement.  TIVO stock is currently only selling for $14.85 a share so offer a buyout at 20 and give us our bloody button back and as icing on the cake, the option of downloading TIVO software and we will all be happy campers.  

New Poster

So does this mean we will get a discount on our bills now because Comcast has taken away something we used to get? 

Regular Visitor

That is a great idea.  A 25 to 50% discount would be in order....

New Poster

Amazing! Xfinity can no longer allow us to record shows while we are on a mobile app but we can record them if you are inside the house.  That is so absurd! I pay an outrageous amount of money to Xfinity for their services that hardly every work. My internet goes out daily, have had technical support here several times and they cannot even figure out how to fix their problem.  The line outside of my home, that was installed by Xfinity is exposed to all the outside elements that you can see the ugly orange wire in my yard, but they have yet to fix it for over a year now. My voicemail no longer works on the mobile app, so I cannot see who is calling or leaving messages while I am away, I have to wait to get home.  What is the purpose of all their mobile apps if none of their services work?  This is the last chance for Xfinity and me and I am done.  I will be returning all my equipment to Xfinity, canceling their services and getting Verizon.  My neighbors have actually laughed at all the problems I have with Xfinity and keep asking me why do I wait to change cable services. I have no idea why I have given Xfinity all the time and chance to fix things and it is getting worse!.

New Poster

I am so tired of cable tv. Switching prices changing things which takes away from perks.
Expert

mvenanzi wrote:

Rwsrws wrote:

ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience.

Was it Comcast’s decision to remove this function after the ruling or was it legally required?

Comcast didn't really claim that the ITC ruling is the cause for removing the record function. Their official statement to CNBC is:

"We respectfully disagree with the ITC's decision in this matter. In fact, Rovi has never disputed that Comcast or its predecessors independently developed our X1 platform and our cloud- and app-based technology. While we believe the ITC reached the wrong decision, we will remove this feature from those offered to our subscribers while we pursue an appeal."

They may be doing it to stop future legal action.

Source:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/22/tivo-shares-jump-on-patent-ruling-victory-over-comcast.html

it appears Comcast's action has 'hit'  TiVo's stock majorly today as the rating analysts see the writing on the wall that Comcast is not going to enter into a longterm payout for a license. Comcast could even achieve a preliminary injunction as it pursues the abstractness of the claimed patent. Time will tell. New articles with analysis is appearing daily. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

percho wrote:

I couldn’t agree more!! I depend on the remote record feature and the least they could do is notify us that it’s gone!

Bronze Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Comcast didn't really claim that the ITC ruling is the cause for removing the record function. Their official statement to CNBC is:

"We respectfully disagree with the ITC's decision in this matter. In fact, Rovi has never disputed that Comcast or its predecessors independently developed our X1 platform and our cloud- and app-based technology. While we believe the ITC reached the wrong decision, we will remove this feature from those offered to our subscribers while we pursue an appeal."

Source:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/22/tivo-shares-jump-on-patent-ruling-victory-over-comcast.html

it appears Comcast's action has 'hit'  TiVo's stock majorly today as the rating analysts see the writing on the wall that Comcast is not going to enter into a longterm payout for a license. Comcast could even achieve a preliminary injunction as it pursues the abstractness of the claimed patent. Time will tell. New articles with analysis is appearing daily. 

There's no need for a "long term" license, the patent expires in September.

Tivo stock has been dropping since it jumped at the news of the ruling near end of Nov. The price never showed a growing company, an occasional spike then it returns to its $10 to $25 range.

Expert

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Source:

Tivo stock has been dropping since it jumped at the news of the ruling near end of Nov. The price never showed a growing company, an occasional spike then it returns to its $10 to $25 range.

the patent Tivo is 'enforcing' expires 2023

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

wschoch wrote:

So does this mean we will get a discount on our bills now because Comcast has taken away something we used to get? 

You made my day with that question. We have so many features taken away all our bills should be zero by now. Several lists have been shown on these forums of all we have lost and mostly were very useful features.

Bronze Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Source:

Not according to Forbes

"With both patents scheduled to expire next September, Rovi has pushed Comcast in both federal court and the ITC, which has a reputation of favoring patent holders and settles disputes quicker than federal judges."

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/legalnewsline/2017/11/15/fighting-multiple-fronts-comcast-awaits-patent...

Show your source

Frequent Visitor

I'm extremely frustrated that the record functionality has been removed.  It is one of the most important things to me about my service.  Comcast is VERY expensive, so losing functionality is not what I expect or want to pay for.

Comcast failed to notify its customers of any change, showing its complete lack of concern for us.  Why didn't they? It makes it even more frustrating because I spent a few weeks trying to figure out how to record a show.  I called a support rep who had no idea of the issue - he told me to unplug my computer and plug it back in.

I just now found out about the lawsuit.

If Comcast had informed me, I could have saved hours of frustration.  Why don't they think about their customers/

Expert

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Source:

Not according to Forbes

"With both patents scheduled to expire next September, Rovi has pushed Comcast in both federal court and the ITC, which has a reputation of favoring patent holders and settles disputes quicker than federal judges."

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/legalnewsline/2017/11/15/fighting-multiple-fronts-comcast-awaits-patent...

Show your source

I looked at the original ruling by the not-oft-used ITC and the patent it claims to be protecting had a number (not the time-machine series) of an abstract action idea of remote changing the channel of the DVR and causing recording to begin. That patent when I checked the patent fed site expires in 2023. Comcast has repeatedly tried to get this into a court even as it was forced out of Tyler Texas' FED court that has specialized for years in the validity checking (usually on abstractness). Time will tell as the actual case proceeds. The ban on importing only seems to apply to the software on the X1 boxes as shipped into USA, they could easily not install software and the boxes would be allowed under that order. Comcast does not use the factory firmware at all they write it in-house.

Bronze Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Not according to Forbes

Show your source

I looked at the original ruling by the not-oft-used ITC and the patent it claims to be protecting had a number (not the time-machine series) of an abstract action idea of remote changing the channel of the DVR and causing recording to begin. That patent when I checked the patent fed site expires in 2023. Comcast has repeatedly tried to get this into a court even as it was forced out of Tyler Texas' FED court that has specialized for years in the validity checking (usually on abstractness). Time will tell as the actual case proceeds. The ban on importing only seems to apply to the software on the X1 boxes as shipped into USA, they could easily not install software and the boxes would be allowed under that order. Comcast does not use the factory firmware at all they write it in-house.

I would like to see the source. Sorry but I find it hard to believe that your research is better than Forbes'.

The two patents in questions are US8578413  & US8006263. Each of these patents are continuations of previous applications dating back to 1998.

"An application that is a continuation or divisional application and therefore refers back to claim priority of an earlier application will start its 20 years counting from the earliest application in that chain."

Most Valued Poster

I would like to see the source. Sorry but I find it hard to believe that your research is better than Forbes'.

The two patents in questions are US8578413  & US8006263. Each of these patents are continuations of previous applications dating back to 1998.

"An application that is a continuation or divisional application and therefore refers back to claim priority of an earlier application will start its 20 years counting from the earliest application in that chain."

ATTA BOY!

Expert

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Not according to Forbes

Show your source

I sure hope you are right! I was doing casual research to see if the patent's expire dates were around the same time as the time-machine patents (expiring from 'how' to end of 2018).

New Poster

It's Comcast going to discount my bill since this is one of the reasons I switched from Fios to the x1 platform?
New Poster

Yes, having the same darn problem with the remote app, stream tv app, as well as the online dvr manager.

I have been able to do this for years. 

I have not made any changes to my service. 

What the heck?

New Poster

Guess I'm saying goodbye to comcast. 99% of my recordings are set from my phone....

New Poster

Re: Where is the "Record" option when using a computer's Browser?

So frustrating, I can't record shows from my pc!!!!

Valued Contributor

Can no longer set up DVR recording remotely (from XFinity smartphone app or computer)

My son told me it had to do with Tivo winning a copyright case a month or so ago. Is this true? Will Comcast develop its own way to once again allow us to program our DVRs remotely?

New Poster

An honest answer! Thanks!
Regular Visitor

Re: Recording option missing from shows

Regular Visitor

If Comcast cared much for its customers they'd have already licensed the concept, bought Tivo or had the folks in Philly write new code to allow the record scheduling to work from PC/app.

And, yes, they have all of our email addresses - they could have told us what was going on so that we didn't have to find it the hard way.  Of course, they could also tell us about scheduled TV/internet outages, too - but they don't.

Just not very customer friendly.  Starting to make other choices look much better.

New Poster

I am LIVID!!! Comcast didn't bother to inform their "valued customers" that a service we pay for is no longer available!? WHAT???!!! I'm down in NC visiting my daughter through Mid-February because of medical reasons, and I go to set a recording for a new show, and low and behold I can't find a way to set a recording...So, I end up here and find out that it isn't a glitch!!!! This is some major BULL!
New Poster

That's all well and good, but you couldn't be bothered to inform your customers!??? I had to find out the hard way that a service I count on is no longer available! When I get back home in February, I'll be canceling all services with Comcast! "Valued customer" my EYE! I'm beyond disgusted and angry!
New Poster

And it will get worse now that the FCC is gung ho to destroy net neutrality!
New Poster

Funny this happened the same day my monthly bill increased. Thanks for letting us know.
New Poster

TV remote app

Why did you take away the ability to set up recordings on my DVR from the TV remote app. I found it much easier to use. I usually see the tv remote app on my iPad instead of the normal remote even when at home. With the HD channels I find it hard to find the channel I am looking for, it's easier to find what I want to record from the app.  Please bring that option back. I am thinking of changing to another TV company because this is no longer user friendly. 

New Poster

Re: how do i set up a program to record on my DVR when I am not home?

Neither the app for remote or streaming gives me a record option. How do I set my how to set my DVR to record when I am not home
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: how do i set up a program to record on my DVR when I am not home?

Shawntrd1 wrote:
Neither the app for remote or streaming gives me a record option. How do I set my how to set my DVR to record when I am not home

You can't any more, feature has been removed

More info here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

It’s gone from the phone and iPad app too no enraged
Official Employee

Re: Can no longer set up DVR recording remotely (from XFinity smartphone app or computer)

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I used to be able to set a recording for a tv show from my iPad. How can I do it now?

How can I set a recording from my iPad. I used to be able to but the record button has disappeared.