how to record when i'm not home

can i do it from my mac or iphone?

i know verizon has one...

thanks in advance..

sonja

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: DVR functions no longer working on TV Remote app

I am having exactly this same issue. DVR recording functionality works fine via set top boxes but I now cannot use the iOS Xfinity TV Remote app to set anything to record. Recording via the app had been working fine until recently when I purchased a new iOS device. I have tried deleting and reinstalling app, restarting app, sending a system refresh to my set top box, etc without success.

I guess I will try going through the tortuous process now of calling Comcast support and hoping I can get a competent support person to properly add a Cloud DVR Rate Code...
Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: DVR functions no longer working on TV Remote app

@GQ3131 wrote:
I am having exactly this same issue. DVR recording functionality works fine via set top boxes but I now cannot use the iOS Xfinity TV Remote app to set anything to record. Recording via the app had been working fine until recently when I purchased a new iOS device. I have tried deleting and reinstalling app, restarting app, sending a system refresh to my set top box, etc without success.

I guess I will try going through the tortuous process now of calling Comcast support and hoping I can get a competent support person to properly add a Cloud DVR Rate Code...

No need to call support, comcast removed the record function due to legal matters with tivo.

See more info here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Highlighted
New Poster

Cant set up a recording from app

I cannot set up a recording from the app anymore
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

RE-ACTIVATE THE ON-LINE RECORD FEATURE IMMEDIATELY!!!!

as well as the "B" button (picture in picture) functionality

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: new online tv guide

ComcastDan,

I hope you are still monitoring this forum because I really appreciated your responsiveness in the past.

I just got off the phone with the XfinityStream tech support to report a problem I just noticed yesterday. Essentially, I am no longer able to program my DVR at all from the TV listings function. As recent as last Monday (Nov 20) I was able to schedule recordings through the end of the week prior to leaving for Thanksgiving vacation. When I came back yesterday to the website to schedule recordings for this week, I noticed that when I selected a TV program, the "Record" option was missing. I was no longer able to schedule ANY recordings for any program. Tech support told me that they were notified just yesterday that this function was being removed from the web app. Please tell me in what universe does this make any sense. Were things going too smoothly, or did the web design team just miss people screaming at them for their total lack of software engineering skills. As I noted in my previous posts when the new web design was first launched, this new website in spite of all the "improvements" they've made since its initial launch (thank you for that anyway), it is still a giant step backwards from the original website in regards to functionality.

Why they would remove one of the major reasons for using this website (i.e. scheduling future DVR recordings) is totally beyond me. According to tech support, they said that you could still stream live programs as if that would totally compensate for removing the recording scheduling options. That is like having a car with a manual transmission and having all the gears removed except for 1st gear, and then saying that it wasn't that bad since you could still "drive" the car (albeit very slowly).

In today's competitive arena of cable TV vs. satellite, I don't understand why Comcast would provide this kind of incentive for its current customers to "ditch the cable" and switch to satellite. Why would you deliberately take away such useful functionality???

In the software industry, there is a certification used to measure a software organization's level of maturity of its software development processes called CMMI (Compatibility Maturity Model Integration). This certification assigns maturity levels from a range of 1 (very immature) to 5 (very mature). Based on what I've seen of your website designers, I would assign them a maturity level of -5.

ComcastDan, please don't take this as any criticism towards you because I appreciate your willingness to respond to this forum. I'm just frustrated not only by the continued degradation of functionality of your website, but also the arbitrary nature and suddenness of these changes that totally don't make any sense!! Based on what I heard from tech support, it didn't appear to be a temporary change while they "fixed" something. I hope I am wrong.

Thank you for listening! 

Highlighted
New Poster

Online guide

Why can I select record a show when on the website?

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@Primafacie wrote:

ComcastDan,

I hope you are still monitoring this forum because I really appreciated your responsiveness in the past.

I just got off the phone with the XfinityStream tech support to report a problem I just noticed yesterday. Essentially, I am no longer able to program my DVR at all from the TV listings function. As recent as last Monday (Nov 20) I was able to schedule recordings through the end of the week prior to leaving for Thanksgiving vacation. When I came back yesterday to the website to schedule recordings for this week, I noticed that when I selected a TV program, the "Record" option was missing. I was no longer able to schedule ANY recordings for any program. Tech support told me that they were notified just yesterday that this function was being removed from the web app. Please tell me in what universe does this make any sense. Were things going too smoothly, or did the web design team just miss people screaming at them for their total lack of software engineering skills. As I noted in my previous posts when the new web design was first launched, this new website in spite of all the "improvements" they've made since its initial launch (thank you for that anyway), it is still a giant step backwards from the original website in regards to functionality.

Why they would remove one of the major reasons for using this website (i.e. scheduling future DVR recordings) is totally beyond me. According to tech support, they said that you could still stream live programs as if that would totally compensate for removing the recording scheduling options. That is like having a car with a manual transmission and having all the gears removed except for 1st gear, and then saying that it wasn't that bad since you could still "drive" the car (albeit very slowly).

In today's competitive arena of cable TV vs. satellite, I don't understand why Comcast would provide this kind of incentive for its current customers to "ditch the cable" and switch to satellite. Why would you deliberately take away such useful functionality???

In the software industry, there is a certification used to measure a software organization's level of maturity of its software development processes called CMMI (Compatibility Maturity Model Integration). This certification assigns maturity levels from a range of 1 (very immature) to 5 (very mature). Based on what I've seen of your website designers, I would assign them a maturity level of -5.

ComcastDan, please don't take this as any criticism towards you because I appreciate your willingness to respond to this forum. I'm just frustrated not only by the continued degradation of functionality of your website, but also the arbitrary nature and suddenness of these changes that totally don't make any sense!! Based on what I heard from tech support, it didn't appear to be a temporary change while they "fixed" something. I hope I am wrong.

Thank you for listening! 

The record fuction was remooved due to lawsuit with tivo

More info here - http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

My apologies regarding my tirade regarding the removal of the ability to schedule recordings from the XfinityStreaming app.  It stemmed largely from my earlier experiences when the new website was first launched and I mistakenly assumed it was just more of the same. Thank you for the link providing the explanation. That being said, I wish they would have provided a quick explanation.

I also think if they lose their appeal, they need to come up with a way to do the same thing.

Thanks (sorry, ComcastDan for my tirade)

Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity Record Option Missing on Phone App

When will Comcast/Xfinity fix the missing 'RECORD' option from the iOS and Android phone apps? What's the point of having a phone app for Xfinity if you are not able to record shows?

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Record Option Missing on Phone App

@WatchTeeVee wrote:

When will Comcast/Xfinity fix the missing 'RECORD' option from the iOS and Android phone apps? What's the point of having a phone app for Xfinity if you are not able to record shows?

The record fuction was remooved due to lawsuit with tivo

More info here - http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Highlighted
New Poster

I just spent 1.5 hours on support chat for this problem and the Comcast person did not have a clue.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@Shingles32 wrote:

I just spent 1.5 hours on support chat for this problem and the Comcast person did not have a clue.

They often don't

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: set recording remotely

Is it just me or has the record tab been removed? I wanted to change a recording I had set to record 12-4-17 and couldn't do it on my laptop anymore. I tried again today and the record tab is still MIA.

Highlighted
New Poster

In the past, if I had to work late, and I was going to miss my favorite show, I'd log in to the TV Remote Xfinity app, go the guide/listings, find the show in the listings, and there was an option to record the show (or series) -- and then I could record the show while still at work, and then watch the recorded show when I got home.  Now they got rid of the option of setting a recording remotely, due to the legal issue (and they hope to get this option back at some point, but have no idea when).  It is sheer insanity to get rid of this function in the TV Remote Xfinity app, and from the Xfinity Stream app. 

QUESTION: To rectify this issue, I tried finding an old apk (an older version of the app) on the web, and did find one from Oct 2016 (over a year ago), installed it, and it also did not have this option, so I am guessing that they turned off the recording remote option at the X1 box, via a software update, so I am guessing an older version app/apk is not going to work either?  Does someone know if this is why the old APK doesn't work either??

Highlighted
New Poster

Loss of that feature is a loss of a huge selling point for Comcast. Having to do everything from the box is extremely inconvenient in this mobile world. Hopefully, Comcast will present a solution quickly.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

What I don't understand, I read a little bit about this case and part of it includes the X1 box itself. If Comcast were to not allow people to set recordings from their X1 box, there would be a mass-exodous from Comcast until they settled with TiVo. They are appealing the decision and while they do, they basically have no choice but to continue providing their customers the ability to record their shows and customers who don't use any mobile or online features will never really know the difference but mobile app users will. They won't pay the patent royalties to tivo ...until the appeals process is finished. So they take away the record feature for streaming online and apps but removing the record feature on X1 box would be suicide.

If the decision is upheld, they will eventually have to or strike some kind of partnership deal with tivo or just pay the royalties. So what is the point disabling the online and app streaming service now? Why not continue providing it during the appeal process, because no matter the outcome, they will either have to pay a royalty or not and the only people who suffer in the meantime is us, the customers. What, will it save them a few pennies on royalties over a month or however long it takes? So bring back the record feature on streaming services, apps, online, etc. And whatever the appeal outcome, settle it at that time. 

Maybe one or more of the judges in the case have Comcast service and they are doing it solely to show that judge what their decision is doing to their service. ...to teach them a lesson. Meanwhile, we suffer. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@terrijo8 wrote:
Loss of that feature is a loss of a huge selling point for Comcast. Having to do everything from the box is extremely inconvenient in this mobile world. Hopefully, Comcast will present a solution quickly.

Don't hold your breath.  This customer pain and outrage apparently was determined to be more useful by Comcast's lawyers in their federal lawsuits which is the real motivation behind the removal.   It's to Comcast's benefit to show how the consumers are being harmed by the Rovi/Tivo legal action. 

The recent ITC ruling only banned importation of new devices containing these features. The removal of this feature has nothing to do with the ITC ruling which doesn't have jurisdiction over what Comcast offers as a service to existing customers with existing devices.  That is left to the federal court cases which have a long way to go yet.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

dvr recording

No longer able to record a program from tv listing at xfinity using internet rather than remote

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: dvr recording

@gvbmarch wrote:

No longer able to record a program from tv listing at xfinity using internet rather than remote

comcast removed record function, more info here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Beerzz wrote:

What I don't understand, I read a little bit about this case and part of it includes the X1 box itself. If Comcast were to not allow people to set recordings from their X1 box, there would be a mass-exodous from Comcast until they settled with TiVo. They are appealing the decision and while they do, they basically have no choice but to continue providing their customers the ability to record their shows and customers who don't use any mobile or online features will never really know the difference but mobile app users will. They won't pay the patent royalties to tivo ...until the appeals process is finished. So they take away the record feature for streaming online and apps but removing the record feature on X1 box would be suicide.

If the decision is upheld, they will eventually have to or strike some kind of partnership deal with tivo or just pay the royalties. So what is the point disabling the online and app streaming service now? Why not continue providing it during the appeal process, because no matter the outcome, they will either have to pay a royalty or not and the only people who suffer in the meantime is us, the customers. What, will it save them a few pennies on royalties over a month or however long it takes? So bring back the record feature on streaming services, apps, online, etc. And whatever the appeal outcome, settle it at that time. 

Maybe one or more of the judges in the case have Comcast service and they are doing it solely to show that judge what their decision is doing to their service. ...to teach them a lesson. Meanwhile, we suffer. 

It does seem like just another example of when these companies battle the user is left underfoot. Fine....but give me notification and time to explore other options. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: New Xfinity TV Remote Android App Won't Allow Record Scheduling

Won't record anymore. Me thinks since Xfinity lost the lawsuit to TIVO, its been tunred off. Goodbye Cable service.

KO

Highlighted
New Poster

TV Remote IPad Application

What happened to the ability to record using th TV Remote IPad application?  It appears this is no longer a capability since the only option now is "Watch".  The ability to record was a very useful for users who are sight-impaired and cannot read the guide on the TV. 

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver
Highlighted
New Poster

Lost ability to set recordings remotely

Will Comcast be lowering customers' bills since Comcast has removed the promised feature to remotely record using a computer app or phone?

Highlighted
New Poster

scheduling recordings

Whereas, I've always been able to schedule recordings to my DVR from the website or app in the past, I noticed today that the record option is no longer available to me on either platform. Anyone else having this problem?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: scheduling recordings

Comcast removed this functionality due to an ongoing legal issue between them and TiVo (Rovi). Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
Highlighted
New Poster

recording programs from iPhone or iPad

I have always been able to record upcoming programs from my iphone or ipad by accessing the TV Remote ap, going to TV listings, choosing the program I want to record and touching the red record button to record an upcoming program.  Now the red button is gone, and the only option I see is "Watch Channel".  Help!

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: recording programs from iPhone or iPad

I’m experiencing the same issue.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Remote app record option

I am regretting updating the Remote app recently. The record option is no longer available and I've read tons of customer complaints on this site. One comment cited legal issues with the app. What is the purpose of a remote app if there are limited functions? We pay a premium price for this service and it's aggravating that features are removed without notice. 

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Remote app record option

@Grumpy2011 wrote:

I am regretting updating the Remote app recently. The record option is no longer available and I've read tons of customer complaints on this site. One comment cited legal issues with the app. What is the purpose of a remote app if there are limited functions? We pay a premium price for this service and it's aggravating that features are removed without notice. 

to ensure compliance during appeal process the function was removed from the back end. the app no matter which version would not access the 'record' button feature.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Can’t record remotely using Xfinity Stream or Xfinity Remote

Can’t remotely record from Stream or Xfinity Remote.
Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Can’t record remotely using Xfinity Stream or Xfinity Remote

@rlkahney wrote:
Can’t remotely record from Stream or Xfinity Remote.

Record function has been removed. More info here:

Highlighted
New Poster

Customer compensation for non record option via stream app....

So....what is Comcast going to do for all of us customers who pay for the ability to access our X1 sets remotely and can't set a recording due to a legal issue that is out of our hands? I am 2300 miles away from home for an extended period and have been using the stream app religiously. New season of one of my fave shows starts tonight and I can't set it to record. 

Hopefully I will be able to see it on demand while "away" from home.

Highlighted
New Poster

remote DVR

Is anyone else upset that they can no longer remotely record programs using the TV remote app?  I really enjoyed this feature, being able to record programs while away from home.  On Nov 28, tried to record a program only to find that I was not able to do so anymore.  Not only that, my scheduled recordings were gone.  I have only the programs that have already been recorded.  I called Xfinity and spent 30 minutes with a rep who was unable to explain or figure out why I can no longer remotely record programs.  She had me delete the app and reinstall it.  Didn't work.  Then she had me power off my phone and turn it back on.  Didn't work.  She finally transferred me to a tech.  After much discussion, he told me that as of noon, the ability to remotely record programs was deleted.  The rep did not know that.  The tech did not know that.  When he talked to his supervisor, that's what he was told.  No notice was sent out that I am aware of.  Just BOOM, all of a sudden I can no longer have a feature on my Xfinity app that I truly enjoyed and got a lot of use of.  I am royally upset and hope that many, many others complain about this and that Xfinity restores the ability to remotely program my DVR.

Highlighted
New Poster

Loss of Function with TV Remote App

There is no board for the remote app so I hope someone here can help me.

2 days ago my app lost the function of being able to set or modify recordings; it can still change channels and tell recordings to play on TV but when selecting a show the option for "record episode" and "record series" are no longer visible. Similarly when I select a "scheduled recording" there is no longer an option to modify the settings. The app is the most recent version; I have tried deleting it and reinstalling it.

The only recent change on the phone has been an update from iOS 11.1.1 to 11.1.2.

Is anyone else having this problem? 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Where is the "Record" option when using a computer's Browser?

Why is there no straight answers the RECORD OPTION HAS DISAPPEARED FROM THE xfinity stream tv app.  Where is it!!!,

Highlighted
New Poster

appeals will take 6-10 weeks to just file & then reply, ruling could take months longer.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: remote DVR

@dafodil42 wrote:

Is anyone else upset that they can no longer remotely record programs using the TV remote app?  I really enjoyed this feature, being able to record programs while away from home.  On Nov 28, tried to record a program only to find that I was not able to do so anymore.  Not only that, my scheduled recordings were gone.  I have only the programs that have already been recorded.  I called Xfinity and spent 30 minutes with a rep who was unable to explain or figure out why I can no longer remotely record programs.  She had me delete the app and reinstall it.  Didn't work.  Then she had me power off my phone and turn it back on.  Didn't work.  She finally transferred me to a tech.  After much discussion, he told me that as of noon, the ability to remotely record programs was deleted.  The rep did not know that.  The tech did not know that.  When he talked to his supervisor, that's what he was told.  No notice was sent out that I am aware of.  Just BOOM, all of a sudden I can no longer have a feature on my Xfinity app that I truly enjoyed and got a lot of use of.  I am royally upset and hope that many, many others complain about this and that Xfinity restores the ability to remotely program my DVR.

The rep I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable & said most of the calls she had today were asking about this & upset.

However, the rep I spoke to in their cancellation department had no knowledge of the entire situation tho when I called to see how much it would cost to cancel service 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Where is the "Record" option when using a computer's Browser?

@jjudette wrote:

Why is there no straight answers the RECORD OPTION HAS DISAPPEARED FROM THE xfinity stream tv app.  Where is it!!!,

There is a straight answer.  The Comcast legal team decided to artificially remove this feature to cause customer outrage that they believe will somehow help them in their ongoing legal battle with Rovi/Tivo. 

They claim they did this to comply with a legal ruling, but that simply isn't the case.  The only ruling regarding this so far has been from the ITC which has banned importation of new devices that contain this feature.  The ITC did not ban Comcast from coninuing to offer this feature to existing customers with existing devices, and in fact doesn't even have the jurisdiction to do so.

This removal is a slap in the face of Comcast customers and is intended to cause us pain so we scream loud enough that the courts will rule in their favor.  Seems like both a bad legal and market strategy to me.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@nonopenono wrote:

appeals will take 6-10 weeks to just file & then reply, ruling could take months longer.  

There is no reason for Comcast to wait for any appeal.  The only ruling has been from the ITC which banned importation of devices that have features claimed to have patent protection by Rovi/Tivo.

The ITC ruling doesn't prevent Comcast from continuing to offer this feature to existing customers with existing devices, or even new customers with new devices already in this country.  This is a calculated and artificial maneuver by Comcast to cause enough user pain to in their hope validate their claims of consumer protection in the various federal court cases that haven't ruled, or even been fully tried yet.

The ITC has no jurisdiction to force Comcast to remove this feature.  Comcast chose to do this to their customers. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Recording from stream app to dvr at home

Why can I no longer set something to record from my app to my dvr at home? I used to be able to do it all the time.
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Recording from stream app to dvr at home

Comcast removed this functionality due to an ongoing legal issue regarding patents with TiVo (Rovi) in which an ITC judge ruled in favor of Rovi. The feature is inactive while they pursue an appeal.
Highlighted
New Poster

TV remote app not working

Why hasn't comcast notified its customers that the TV Remote App is no longer able to record shows. I understand it was recently disabled. I spent nearly 2 hours trying to fix this problem. a simple email notification would have and is appropriate

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

So we aren't getting all if the services we pay for. This was one of the things we really loved about the app. Keep in mind that not ALL shows are On Demand - so your solution is terrible. Hallmark, for example, doesn't put any of their Christmas movies on-demand. Are you going to give everyone a credit on their bill? You should-you've taken yet another great feature away from your customers. First it was the ability to have multiple email accounts and now this. After being a customer for 18+ years---not happy right now.

Highlighted
New Poster

Great. Another royal screwup for $200 plus per month. Thanks for nothing, Comcast.

Highlighted
New Poster

No record option on app

Why can't we record anything on the xfinity stream app! We used to be able to do this! Can someone contact the people who can fix this as I have tried but can't seem to connect

to Help !

Highlighted
New Poster

I contacted Comcast today and spoke to 2 customer service staff  and clearly they have no clue as to why this has happened. One felt it was a copyright infringement with apple. Another one didn’t know it had happened and she checked her phone and was upset as she sets up all her recordings with this app. Comcast has not told their employees about this yet.