XfinityBecker's profile

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

Thursday, September 10th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

Camera Motion Push Notifications

I have some good news! We have rolled out the ability to receive motion notifications from supported Xfinity Home Cameras.

Supported models are the iCam2, xCam, and xCam2.  The feature is enabled through our Xfinity App (previously called the xFi App).  

Here are all of the details:

Understanding Motion Notifications

Motion Notifications send a notification to your phone each time your Xfinity Camera detects motion. You can turn notifications on or off for any or all of your cameras and you can specify the type of activity (People Only or All Events) that triggers a notification.

To expand the camera thumbnail, press and hold the notification (iOS) or press the notification with two fingers (Android).

Tap the alert to open your camera’s live view.

Turn Notifications On or Off

1. Grant permission for the Xfinity app to send notifications in your phone’s settings, if necessary.
  2. Sign in to the Xfinity app.
  3. Verify that push notifications are enabled.
  4. Select the Home tab.
  5. Scroll down to the desired camera and select the camera thumbnail.
  6. On the camera screen, select the gear icon on the upper-right.
  7. Select Notifications.
  8. Select the On/Off switch to turn on notifications.
  9. Select which events you’d like to trigger a notification: People Only or All Events.

Multiple Cameras? Repeat these steps to turn on notifications for each camera.
I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you !!! That was a much needed improvement to add alerts (push notifications) when motion activity occurs. But why are your alerts silent ? Text alerts for other apps (Ring, Arlo, Vivint) give the option for SOUND (audible).
For example, these new real-time Xfinity alerts should have sound, similar to a text message. These Xfinity alerts are helpful, but only if you happen to be looking at your screen when the alerts are received. If there is a way to HEAR the Xfinity notification, please explain. Thank you.

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

4 years ago

CatMan4 -

Glad you like the feature!  In the future, we'll make it easier to manage Notification sounds right through the Xfinity app.  For now, sounds to alert on Motion Notifications are supported on the Android version of the app.

I will see if I can get an update on iOS sounds. If you have an iPhone, my best advice would be to make the Notification banner "Persistent." You can do this by swiping the Notification to the right when you recieve it, clicking Manage and then going to Settings.

For sound with Notifications on Andriod, go in to your Android Settings icon and then to Apps and Notifications. Find the Xfinity App in the list and click on "motionEvent." Make sure the switch for Notifications is turned on and that the level of importance is set to High or Urgent.

I hope that helps! 

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

You are super helpful !!!! It would be great if you could add sound to the IOS iPhone notifications. We would feel safer at night being awakened by the sound of an Xfinity notification if a prowler is near our home.
I set the visual notification to persistent. Thank you so much for everything !!!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have the Xcam2 with an iPhone and i'm unable to turn on those notifications.  Is it because I have 24/7 monotoring and it's not available with that ?

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

3 years ago

RaiderMattJC -

That cofiguration should work just fine. Are you attempting to enable them through the Xfintiy App (previously known as the xFi App) or the Xfinity Home App?  Currently, motion notifiacations can only be turned on from the Xfinity App.

If you are using the Xfintiy App, make sure it's the latest version - you might try uninstalling it and downloading it again from the App Store just to be sure.

I hope that helps!

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Hi ComcastBecker,

I am having the same problem. I even deleted and re-installed the xFinity app. There are no tabs on the bottom of my xFinity App, and there is also no notification center when I click on the account icon in the upper left. There is no where for me to see my cameras in the xFinity app (only the xFinity home app). I should mention that I use my own modem and router, not an xFinity-rented modem and router. Is this the reason that I am not seeing the cameras in my xFinity app? If so, then I would be very dissapointed - you shouldn't need to rent a modem from xFinity to be able to get notifications from your security camera.

Thanks for your help.

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

3 years ago

Ah - that makes sense - thank you so much for such a detailed description and I'm so sorry I didn't think to ask that question first.  The vast majority of our Xfinity Home customers have our Xfinity Gateway and I wasn't thinking about the impact of having your own modem on the ability to turn on Motion Notifications in the Xfinity App.

A this time, the Xfinity app does require an Xfinity Gateway to access Smart Home features, including access to Cameras.  And because the setting for Motion Notifications is controlled from this app, you won't have access to toggle this feature.  This wasn't a business decision, but is a techical limitation of the Xfinity app at the moment.

I know we have a number of updates to the Xfinity App planned in 2021, including introducing features for customers with their own devices.  I will see if I can find out when Cameras will be integrated for customers that do not have an Xfinity Gateway.

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

3 years ago

I will definitely pass the message along Zivheads!

I do know the Camera Notifications are on a different technology platform than the rules that are currently available in the Xfinity Home App. 

We will be working to integrate features from a number of our other apps (including the Xfinity Home App) into the new Xfinity app, as well as expand upon those features... so plenty of good things to come as we roll in to the new year!

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for your quick response @ComcastBecker .  This is obviously disappointing, and I seriously hope that this technology is added to the app this year. I'm not an engineer, but it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to add this functionality into the xFinity Home app, where I can get notifications if doors are opened or closed, as well as see clips all of the motion events immeadiately after they happen. I also wish that when I signed up, it was more clear that certain functionality doesn't work if I bring my own modem/router.

Again, I appreciate your response and knowledge. If you have any power in these type of decisions, please pass on my feedback!

Thanks.

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

3 years ago

Zivheads -

Good news!  I have confirmed that we definitely have an enhancement in the works for customers who have their own modems to gain access to the Home tab of the Xfinity App, which would then allow you to turn on Camera Motion Notifications.

I don't yet have a definitive timeline - we are likely still at least a few months away from launching, but I did want to provide the update that the feature is in development and on its way!

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

3 years ago

CatMan4 (and all iPhone users) -

I wanted to report that sounds on iOS (iPhone) motion notifications are now fully supported!  You should hear an alert sound on your phone when motion is detected - similar to the sound you may hear for incoming text messages or other notifications from various apps.

If you are not hearing these sounds, go in to your iPhone Settings, choose "Notifications," Scroll down to "Xfinity" (make sure you're choosing the Xfinity App, not the Xfinity Home App), and ensure that the switch for "Sounds" is turned on.  You may also want to take the opportunity to set the Banner Style to "Persistent," to avoid never missing a notification.

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

YES !!! Thank you so much !!!
Now we can HEAR the text alerts for motion activity outside our home on our iPhones 🎉❤️😁

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

@CatMan4

Our Xfinity Home Team would love the opportunity to discuss your feedback directly. If you are interested in speaking with that team feel free send me a direct message with your First Name and availability for contact. 

Thanks in advance for your participation. We look forward to hearing from you.  

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

ComcastBecker -

I'm just seeing this reply now, but thank you very much for confirming - that is a feature that we are very, very much looking forward to! Please let us know when it goes live.

Thanks!

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

3 years ago

Will do!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here