Joe361's profile

Contributor

• 

57 Messages

Tuesday, February 5th, 2019 8:00 AM

Closed

Emails Being Marked as Spam

I have a recurring issue with the Comcast spam filter.  Since about the end of December some legitimate  emails, including emails from Xfinity and my bank, have been directed to the Comcast spam folder and I don't receive them on my phone or my desktop using Outlook.  I've marked them as "not spam" in the Xfinity Connect app and I've tried disabling the spam filter.  Sometimes after being marked as not spam the emails will go to my inbox but after a few minutes they will move back to the spam folder.  I have no filter rules defined.  Nothing seems to help.

1 Attachment

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

5 years ago

Yeah, no. That doesn't work. There is no code path to bypass Comcast's spam list by adding the address to the Address book.

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

5 years ago

If the addresses are not on Comcast's blacklist this wll be the behavior..

The doamins that Comcast blacklists will be treated as spam no matter what the user does.

Don't know how to explain it any clearer, this is the way blacklists work.

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Anon363555 wrote:

This also works with GMail's spam filters which is where I learned about this option. I just did a search on how to whitelist in Comcast and found this link. 
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-whitelist-email-addresses-on-comcast/

The information at that website is erroneous.  Comcast does not, and never has, scanned your address book to determine legitimate incoming emails.  Comcast email has no whitelist function.  If you are getting emails now that you were not getting before, there is some other reason for it.  Some email providers do use your address book to check for legitimate incoming emails,  Comcast is not one of them.

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

5 years ago

I did not post the solution arbitrarily. There must be more to it because I specifically tested before and after by sending an email from our website. Before putting the email address in the address book it would not come through. After it did. 
I doubt the website would be blacklisted, it is a non-profit. We'll see. I will ask a board member who is also a Comcast customer if he can receive the email after adding to the address book. None of the other members that are non-Comcast customers have had an issue with this. 

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

5 years ago

Are you not paying attention? The whole issue is that the Comcast blacklist contains domains that shouldn't be blacklisted!

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

5 years ago

If adding the address to your address book corrected the issue, you are not having the same issue that I and others are.

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

5 years ago

Apparently not, but there are several others that posted in this thread before you. Maybe this will help some others. I hope so.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Anon363555 wrote: ... I just did a search on how to whitelist in Comcast and found this link. 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-whitelist-email-addresses-on-comcast/

Did you read the comment following that article? We can't be sure if it's official, but the comment agrees with my experience with Comcast's email system: the address book is not a whitelist. It should be, but it isn't.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

1.9K Messages

5 years ago

@brbrob 

Can you make sure your spam folder is enabled?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/spam-filters-and-email-blocking-new-experience

And then mark one of the messages from ncdxc.org as Not Spam in the webmail?  We need an additional sample.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I've been having this same problem starting about 9 months ago.  First, messages originating from square.com (including a legitimate invoice) ended up marked as spam and I didn't see them.  Legit messages from mail distributors like mailchimp for customers like the Denver Zoo then began being misdirected.  Over the last month, this behavior has accelerated rapidly to the point where about half my incoming e-mails are ending up in the comcast spam holder, regardless of the originating domain.  Daily e-mail from legitimate sites yesterday are in spam today.  I don't see any rhyme or reason to it.

When I received an e-mail that the Comcast mail service was going to be offline for an hour on October 20, I hoped this was to install some new software to solve this problem.

Is this possibly because I use my comcast.net account as a final-stop aggregator, to which messages to other e-mail addresses are auto-forwarded?  For example, I have a gmail address that is set to auto-forward to my comcast.net address.

I tried to phone support for this once a month or two ago.  After a half hour on the phone with the front line script-reader, I was sent to the next level where the guy seemed to be watching the clock and basically cut me off without offering any sort of solution after about 5 minutes, like he wasn't going to get his pellet if he took too long with a single customer.

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

5 years ago

Done early this afternoon.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

1.9K Messages

5 years ago

@JimPColorado I believe I've cleared up at least part of the reason.  Give it a few days and let us know if that's looking better for you.  Using comcast.net as your final mail stop should not be causing this.

@brbrob Yours also seems to have cleared up.  Thank you

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Hi Antispam... I appreciate the efforts to keep real spam out on my inbox, and whatever tweak you made did seem to help a little, but about 20 spam messages have accumulated from legit addresses since Thursday.  I'm just one of millions of customers. Is there something odd about my account, or are other customers simply not noticing?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

1.9K Messages

5 years ago

Can you share a sample subject?  Is it going to your inbox or your spam folder?

I do see a lot of mail coming in via your Alumni address, some of which looks questionable.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Hi AntiSpam, Here are a couple subject lines...

"Latest posts from The Colorado Sun — 10/28/2019"

"October Update: This is kinda cool"

"Cool weather essentials"

Everything in my spam folder currently is something I've signed up for, for better or worse.

As I told the first couple folks I contacted via phone at Comcast, I know how to extract SMTP headers and can forward them on, if that info would be of greater value.  The other folks weren't interested.

My forwarding address is doing a good job of filtering true spam over on that side preventing 99% of it from being forwarded on to my comcast address.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here