OSUFan2000's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, February 18th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

Cannot send email... ESMTP server temporarily not available message

I am a former xfinity subscriber that kept my email address.  I access my email through Thunderbird and recently I started to get this error message when I attempt to send messages --

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  resomta-ch2-15v.sys.comcast.net resomta-ch2-15v.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available, please contact support.

I have ensured that the outgoing email password is correct and I have even deleted the password and resubmitted it which allows the system to send messages for a day or two then returns back to this error message and the email does not send.  What else can I do to prevent this issue?

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

4 years ago

I think i may have identified what was causing this issue and put a fix in place, if you continue to have issues, feel free to PM me directly with the details. 

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

4 years ago

@OSUFan2000 Appears the issue is referenced directly in the error message you received. There is an instance failing authentication. Meaning a wrong password. Due to this the server placed an automated block on connections. This can be resolved by resolcing any issues in configuration with devices linked with the email account. (this means anything from email clients, security systems, log reporting systems, etc.)

I'm sending you a PM to get more information and see if I can find anything else for you. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

If @ComcastCSAEmail or another employee doesn't reply to your message here, Comcast Security Assurance should be able to help. You can reach them at 1-888-565-4329 (from https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers.

The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful, so you may need to be persistent and keep at them until you get a satisfactory answer.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

I have a similar issue that occurs every two days. Once I change my password, update my outlook password, all is well. When I receive the failure message, I start over. So every two days I have to reset my password. Why? No one in customer support nor technical support has been able to correct this. Yesterday was day 12. Six different passwords. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you. I figured it was something like that. Guess I’ll have to figure out what app or program is doing this.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for your assistance. Im not familar with the PM features and still show an unread message.  I have turned off my Nortons VPN on my iphone to see if this solves the issue. On day three with email service. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks so much for your help 🙂

Regular Visitor

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

I have this problem too and it's been going on for weeks.  I've changed my password multiple times, never helps.  I can sent one e-mail a day until I receive the message:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  resomta-ch2-09v.sys.comcast.net resomta-ch2-09v.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available.

Can someone please help me with this?  I called the number below but they were unable to help.  There is only one device associated with that e-mail account.    

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

I have been having this same problem for months with my Outlook 2016. Outgoing emails are stuck in the outbox with the "excessive fail authentication". The only fix I've found is to reset my modem, then all emails are sent. Comcast says since I can send/receive from the Xfinity website, it is not a server problem. All my Outlook settings are correct for my POP account. After I reset my modem in a few minutes, the Outlook emails will be sent. Of course, MS says I should get MS 365. I can send emails for several hours after a modem reset. A new modem had the same problem, so not a modem problem. If is with Xfinity server somehow.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Good morning @mksmith44 and thank you for posting on our forums page with your email concerns. We'd be happy to investigate further. In order to look at your account further, can you please initiate a private chat by going to the chat icon on the top right corner and sending us a message? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

I see someone contacted you, but I have never had any help with this.  Now I can't even send one e-mail per day.  Here is the error message.  Can someone from Xfinity PLEASE help!!!!!!!!  

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  resomta-po-03v.sys.comcast.net resomta-po-03v.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi there! We would be happy to assist you. Can you initiate a chat and start with your full name and address? To start a chat, please click the chat icon in the top right of the page! Search for Xfinity Support, if needed. Talk to you there! 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

To ComcastAlyssa from mksmith44: I could not find you in the chat. My Outlook outbox is currently experiencing an error again.

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

Oh no! I'm truly sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue again. We would love to assist you further. Please send us a private message with your name and service address to Xfinity Support by clicking the chat icon at the top right of the page.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

no comcastbillie in chat.

Problem Solver

• 

892 Messages

I apologize, were you able to click on the chat icon and send a message? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Maybe I'm selecting the wrong icon. None of these people show up in the Comcast list. [Edited: "Personal Information"]

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

892 Messages

I am sorry about that Mike. Is there a message icon on the top right of our page? Is that where you are clicking? We may need you to create your own post so you can have access to chat. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here