slmk's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, March 20th, 2020 7:00 AM

Closed

All emails are gone.

At 4:00 a.m. today, I read my emails. Then again at 7:30 I checked again and all emails are gone--folders, trash, inbox--everything. I did receive a message that the Comcast server failed. All I have now, are 10 emails I received since 7:30 a.m. What's happened with Comcast? I have a gmail account and all emails are present. This is a major problem--I have tax emails, home improvement, etc.

Thank you,

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

4 years ago

Everyone who referenced emails missing on 3-20-20 should have seen them reappear as engineers ran a restore process for your email accounts. If your issue is not relevant to emails missing from 3-20-20 then please open your own thread relevant to your issue. If you are still missing emails from 3-20-20 please PM me with your email address and i will have the engineers run the restore process as well. 

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

4 years ago

@slmk wrote:

At 4:00 a.m. today, I read my emails. Then again at 7:30 I checked again and all emails are gone--folders, trash, inbox--everything. I did receive a message that the Comcast server failed. All I have now, are 10 emails I received since 7:30 a.m. What's happened with Comcast? I have a gmail account and all emails are present. This is a major problem--I have tax emails, home improvement, etc.

Thank you,

Nothing has happened to Comcast. There are only a handful of reason emails go missing and they include user-induced accidental deletion or compromise caused deletion. Meaning that check any recently added email services like email clients and their settings or start securing your email account with running virus/malware scans on any devices you use to access the email, password, and security question changes. You can try to recover any deleted email by selecting the additional options under the trash folder under the option "recover deleted items". If There are no items within that option - the Comcast server no longer has the emails. The only time this can happen is if an email client downloaded the messages under a POP3 configuration. 

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have the same issue, tried calling Comcast spent and hour on the phone and they were no help

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Same problem here at same time as you describe.  One of 5 emails on my account affected.  All other email accounts seem fine.  Seems suspicious that ALL sent and inbox folders would be completely wiped out.   Hopefully just a glitch on the Comcast side.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Excuse me Comcast Service Official; however, I've had this account for the past 20 years, have one of the BEST malware/virus softwares on the planet. I resent the insinuation that it was 'user error' or words to that effect.

All other accounts are up and running--gmail--nothing has happened, NBCnews--just fine, local news--no problem.  

I had a chat with a CS rep at Comcast, he restarted my Gateway--no problem there, he then had a CS rep call me who said 'yes, I do see that' and then told me she needed her supervisor to assist, and I never heard from her again.

For the same problem to occur at approximately the same time is questionable on Comcast's part. Also, Comcast has 'a recovered file which is also empty. It's a Comcast problem--so please check the server that my account and find the problem. 

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

My issue is or should I say has and continues to intermittently persist. Emails I send are not held in the sent folder. I too, sat on the phone for 90 mins to be told the equivalent of I dunno ... and advanced tech support was supposed to call. Well, if they had called when I asked I could have answered the phone. I have called the number they left on my v/m and left messages 4, 5 or 6 times since a human does not answer the phonel This situation has been since the beginning of March but assumed it was my Outlook program but after contacting and actually getting assistance from MS I learned that Outlook is merely a mirror of my Comcast acct which is not saving the sent message either, imagine that, and therein lies the problem. Obviously Comcast is having issues they won't admit to because they don't know how to fix them. We are held captive to the only fully functional, well it used to be, company for our internet service. I could switch to Gmail but this would not fix the problem because you are still required to go through Comcast ! 

Got any snappy answers to this???

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

4 years ago

I apologize if you misunderstood my response to be personal opinion or to hold any bias against you. I don't know you so I have no reason to personally offend/attack you. I am merely providing facts to the issue at hand, which is missing email. The Comcast email server has no deletion policy for the Inbox and the Sent box. This means that the Comcast email server will never delete an email from the inbox or sent box without manual user input. That can only be accomplished via the user themselves ,an email client acting on behalf of the user, or someone else who has access to the email account outside of its intended user. The term user is abstract when you factor in compromised accounts. Hundreds of thousands of email accounts are compromised on a daily basis(not just Comcast.net accounts) and its mostly run off scripts that gather the data within email accounts(downloading and filtering through the content for personal information) and then deleting/purging said data once its been stored for further fraudulent activities. This is one main example that we have observed, but there are other variable situations where it doesn't follow the exact same procedure. 

to further clarify there are only 2 folders that the server will monitor a retention policy for, which is the Trash (14 days) and Spam (7 Days). This is a defaulted policy and once an email has been deleted from either folder by the system, they will retain within the "recover deleted items" section of the trash folder for an additional 30 days. So if you have misplaced an email into trash, you have 44 days to recover it and if you have to recover a deleted spam email, you have 37 days to recover it from "recover deleted items".

In your specific case since the emails were deleted not only from their respective folders, but also from the recovery deleted emails section - there is a variable outside of Comcast or our servers at play. As mentioned before, either a Third-Party Email Client deleted the emails, or someone went in and manually deleted it that may or may not have been you. The default recommendation is to always run AV/AM scans, change passwords, secret/security questions, and check email settings in any email apps/software you may be using. 

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for help instead of rhetoric. The folder names are there, but all are empty.

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

4 years ago

@slmk 

Can you clarify------is it that all the folders have gone missing in the webmail interface?  Or are all the folders there and they are just empty?  If the former, see here------------

Where are my Folders and Search?

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for clarification. I don't doubt that you believe that Comcast would 'never' delete emails, but technology happens. Yes, I did see with my own eyes 'server is undating and not available' and there are no other third party entities, nor did anyone enter my home at 7:30 in the morning and manually delete my emails--although I have seen my Maltese's itching to jump to my desk and eyeing the delete key. 

Even though I am only one client among hundreds of thousands, surely Comcast would be curious and investigate said happenstance, not just for me, but others. I hope youe technicians are diligent about unusual issues instead of resting on laurels that all is a-okay.

Does it not deserve a look-see? Nothing never happens except death.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I had the same thing happen.  All email was in my inbox and disappeared the morning of 3-20-20.  New emails are coming in and able to send emails out.  Worked for hours on the phone with comcast rep. and they acknowledge there was a problem.  Then they acknowledge that they showed the issue resolved and that emails were being restored.  I then begin seeing folders appear labeled with my folder name and then lost-recovered.   However, my inbox emails continue to remain lost and were not recovered.  The person said they had exhausted all options to recover.  Since this is a wide-spread issue, Comcast needs to do the responsible thing and acknolwedge publicly to all their email users that there was a problem. and what they are doing to try to recover the emails.  There were bills to be paid and other important emails that have now vanished.  This is unacceptable and will cause many to find another provider. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Exact same thing has happened to me.  Totally unacceptable.  Do they even care?

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I have spoken to at least 5 lower level tech support people that were referring this to advanced support. Well, nothing has changed.  I got phone call - not at the time I requested from Ashley at seven thirty-four thirty-five nine twenty-eight fifty but when you call it is only v/m   Now early this morning I had a draft email I was still working on. When I was finished I couldn't send it - or so it seemed ... but my in box because I have started bcc: myself to assure I have a copy - there were 4 supposedly sent while the draft folder still showed it there.???? I still don't get copies in my sent folder ...... this is soooo very unacceptaable

How are we supposed to get a resolution ??? Comcast seems to have a major problem because there are others with similar email issues and even acknowledging it is beyond their  capabilities ........ Blaming it on 3rd party intrusion is not an answer but an excuse

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

@ComcastCSAEmail:

If it's us not you, then why is your tech support wait time EIGHT hours? 

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Same here. I can get into all but one email account (my main one, or course). And the wait for tech support is 8 hours! Can't be a coincidence.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here