mbg71's profile

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

Thursday, August 29th, 2019 5:00 AM

Closed

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.    Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

If TCM is not returned soon, I will be dropping Xfinity service and changing to DirectTv

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I have had several cable providers over the years.....seems most people can find something to complain about with their providers......but, this is the first time I am angry enough to write ....Moving TCM to a SPORTS package to force customers to purchase they don't want is obscene .

. Needless to say, when my term expires I will be looking to alternatives to Comcast...

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

putting tcm in this ridiculous sports package demonstrates why cable needs regulating.  all the dross channels i get that i never watch and comcast moves tcm, one of the 15 channels i watch, into a 100 rubbish sports package bundle.  what are they thinking!!!  i want to pick and choose!  

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Removed by me for violating forum guidelinesI know full well you have answered this question.  Your answer is not sufficient.  Originally, Turner Classic Movies was Ted Turner's gift to the cable users to keep old movies alive.  He didn't charge for it, like CNN originally (his brain child as well).  
You percieve low viewship, based on ratings?  What demographic are looking at. 
.  Oh I have choices for streaming, well goodie for me, I can spend more somewhere else on top of it.
Face, when you live a an area and or place where you no choice, I don't care about bells and whistles.  You took something you had no reason to.  Problem renewing your contract because a network wants more money, as a business person I get it.  But this little old channel you just take away but I am lucky to have the "Jewelry Channel" that is for sure. 
You can right a wrong.  You can say sorry, we did realize there was viewers of the channel.

Contributor

• 

67 Messages

5 years ago

I guess the short answer is really in the Service Agreement:

"If any material change negatively affects your Service(s), you have the right to cancel your Service(s). Your continued receipt of the Service(s) for more than 30 days after the change, however, will constitute your acceptance of the change."

So your choices are really:

1. Pay the money, enjoy TCM.  Maybe return uneeded adapters, buy a modem to help amortize costs.

2. Don't pay the money, keep the service.

3. Cancel and keep Internet and start streaming

4. Cancel service and get another provider.

Open to other suggestions.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Add me to the viewers who will be cutting the cord. If I had competitors like YouTube or Dish, I would pay a lot more attention to what my customers are telling me they want!!

So much junk, and they need to charge more for one of the few channels with ad-free quality programming? And not bother to tell us about the change until it shows up when I try to tune in to the channel? And lock all discussions about it in the forum? Do you really need TCM to subsidize your sports package?

Your survey ("2 movies per month") is just ridiculous.

Contributor

• 

198 Messages

5 years ago

Since the other TCM thread won't let me add a reply, I am adding my comment in a new thread. I LOVE TCM. I pay a lot of money for cable (and internet and phone and extra boxes). I am a perfect example of what Comcast wants as a customer. I prefer to watch live TV vs. stream. I like LOTS of channels, which is why I subscribe to an expensive package. I would rather have cable than satellite or online services (like Sling). Seems like Comcast is trying to get rid of loyal customers like me. If I am forced to pay a la carte, then I will be getting rid of cable because it won't be worth it any longer.

I want TCM back (don't let them fool you; it is a very popular channel). And I pay extra for STARZ - more than what I would pay if I subscribed outside of Comcast. First they took away the app, and now they are getting rid of the channel, or at a minimum, the subchannels, which are as important to me as the channel since I like to scroll through the live programming.

And FYI - HITZ are not real channels. They look like real channels in the guide, but no mwtter what you select, they go to On Demand. I don't need more old movies in On Demand. That is why I had a package that included Cinemax. Thank goodness I was able to change to a less expensive and better package so I could stopped paying for MAX once it was taken away. Another bad move from Comcast.

What a shame that they want to get rid of their customers.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I'm with you all the way on this. Outside of news programs during the early evening, TCM is my go-to choice. Am very disappointed it was moved to a higher tier. Listen, you greedy so-and-sos, TCM broadcasts primarily old movies, and very little original programming. I cannot see the need for Comcast to now charge customers extra - and to do so on the QT. It can only mean Comcast corporate is looking to squeeze more from their customers. Well folks, with this stunt, I am very strongly considering pulling the plug. 

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

5 years ago

I was upset when TCM was moved into an "extra" package. In fact I still am upset enough that I haven't purchased that package. However, when I went to ON DEMAND>NETWORKS, I found "Free classic TV and movies". There are hundreds of pre-1970 movies, many I have never even heard of before. Also many old TV series. It isn't a replacement for TCM, but it helps somewhat.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

When we subscribe to a group of channels, you don't expect them to pick out the ones you watch and move them to another package and force peope to pay more. What I pay already is outrageous.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I was in the habit of recording Noir Alley every week and watching it later in the week at an earlier time in the evening. I don't give a flying about sports but I do LOVE Noir Alley.
I would pay extra to see Noir Alley, but I am not even a little interested in the Comcast "Sports Package!." 

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

5 years ago

I agree! I've lost Cinemax AND TCM. I don't feel like paying extra to get them, either. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Please, who is in charge of delegating which TV channels apply to certain 'packages'? Why were they allowed to select Turner Classic ey as a SPORTS  line up? The classic old movies have NIL to qualify for the line up. I desire that my movie channel lineup be restored, the very reason I choose the 'bundle' was to watch TCM!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Just got off the phone with representative...no satisfactory answer to why they want an extra $10 for TCM... according to them only between 5 and 10 percent of their customers use that channel...very hard to believe . And IF they are going to move to a "pay" bundle move it with ACTUAL entertainment/movie channels...not redundant sports junk. Maybe then I would be willing to fork over another $5 or $10...maybe. But they did throw me a bone with 6 month free Showtime 🙄

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

FOR COMCAST: It's been ~2 weeks since my TCM has been moved from my agreed upon contractual package. Please put it back! I have placed a deadline on this. If TCM is not returned to my lineup by that deadline, I will be cancelling my service, including internet.

FOR OTHER POSTERS: I purchased an Amazon 4K Fire Stick this weekend and signed up for YouTube TV. I am able to LIVE stream everything that I want--including TCM--with this service (watched TCM live this weekend in fact). It works wonderfully! Highly recommend. I also have an Apple TV connected to another television but need to upgrade to a newer version since its first generation and its capabilities are limited.

It's hard to believe that Comcast/Xfinity is intent on pushing customers like me away. I have an expensive package that I would have been content to keep paying for until this TCM bonehead move. I am upset that Cinemax has been removed from my package. I am upset that TCM has been removed from my package. I am upset that Starz is about to be removed from my package.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here