mbg71's profile

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

Thursday, August 29th, 2019 5:00 AM

Closed

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.    Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Yep, already looking into alternatives services , TCM has been the default channel for our family since i was a child. not going to pay $10 more for a bunch of sports channels. we'll be cutting the cord with a quickness.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Ok. Comcast requires subscription fee for TCM. What do I get to replace TCM? Seems to me I should receive a replacement channel or my bill should be lowered. Quid pro quo Comcast.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Last night I turned to the TCM channel and it said I had to subscribe to the channel. When did that change to have to pay for it. Just a few weeks ago I watched TCM for free.

Contributor

• 

69 Messages

5 years ago

We are long time customers since 2002 and have had numerous issues with Comcast as I guess most do with their providers, but this removal of TCM and being FORCED to pay for an upgrade that we have NO interest in besides TCM is the last straw. We are now paying for the "upgrade" but when our "contract" expires we will leave this company and NEVER come back.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Upset is mild for how I felt when I tried to tune into TCM yesterday and it was gone.   i did not know that this was going to happen, so it was quite a shock.  TCM is one of my favorite channels.

So,  if you cosider TCM a type of "specialied entertainment",  I wonder now how long will it be before other channels such as Hallmark, Indie, Starz Encore, Lifetime, etc. are moved.  Then will it be Food Network, HGTV, etc. moved to a Food and Home package because they are "specialized" viewing?

Comcast says that the fees for TCM are not offset by the number of watchers.  I have an idea - get rid of all of the useless channels that you are paying for.  I bet there are many channels that no one would miss that could make up for your fee to TCM.  

My  husband has been mentioning Direct TV lastely, and I am highly opposed to having a tacky dish sitting in my yard or attached to my house, but if things like this keep happening I may have to consider the change.  

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

What happen to tcm channel 69

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

Since TCM has been removed from the standard lineups and is not available a la carte or in the form of a streaming app that is not contingent upon a cable subscription, I was wondering whether anyone has tried the Criterion Channel. It's $10.99 per month, does not require a cable subcription, and is described as, "a movie lover’s dream, the Criterion Channel offers classics and discoveries from around the world, thematically programmed with special features, on a streaming service brought to you by the Criterion Collection."

Supported devices: "You can stream the Criterion Channel on apps for Apple TV 4 (and newer), Amazon Fire, Roku, iOS, and Android devices, as well as on web browsers on desktop computers, tablets, and smart phones."

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I don't know what marketing genius at Comcast decided it would be a good move to squeeze more money from TCM viewers (many of whom are seniors on fixed incomes) by including it as part of a package of other/more channels they'll never watch,
but...
if TCM isn't restored to the package I signed up for, the next communication I'll have with Comcast will be to cancel my package contract. Your service has become more like a shell game than one that serves the needs of its customers.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I agree with those who are upset that Comcast moved TCM to a pricier Sports package—and their response is equally unsatisfying. Apparently, Comcast doesn’t read Consumer Reports as to why so many customers are cutting their cable! I recently had upgraded but am considering dropping back. Regardless, their prices will go up even for fewer channels!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I am getting YouTubeTV next month.  I've done a lot of research in the past two days trying to figure out what devices I need and how to cut the cord.  I will share what I learned:  First, there are just a few ways to watch TCM and becareful not to confuse TCM with WATCH TCM.  Clark Howard, a TV guy who talks about saving money, has some great help online at  https://clark.com/technology/tvsatellite-cable/streaming-tv-comparison-best-channel-lineup/

In the link above, he compares cable alternatives by the criteria of channel line-up.   I watched the video at the end of which he explains why he chose YouTubeTV.  But there are many pages on his site and lots of help.   

You also have to consider HOW to view your choice of streaming service,  You have to maintain an Internet connection so that means you can't "cut the cord" completely.   You can use  your computer/ipad, your phone (bleh for a movie?) or a smart TV.  You can also use a "dumb" TV with extra help from another device, a Roku stick, as long as your TV has a place to plug it- an hdmi port- one of those little rectagular holes like you have on a computer to plug in a thumb drive.  My friend uses an inexpensive Roku stick whcih you plug into your TV,  and he told me it gets TCM as one of the channels that are bundled with the stick iteself. However,  when I explored further I saw that it gets WATCH TCM which is a TCM app that still requires you to have a cable provider.  (You can read that yourself on the tcm website.)  So I would only use a Roku stick if I had a dumb TV and I needed to make it smart, i.e., connect to my Internet in order to pick up my streaming service. 

Also consider how many people in your house need to view screens at the same time.  We are only 2 in my place, so that isn't an issue.  YouTube TV allows for 3 different screens at a time. Other providers are different. 

After you find the service you are interested in because of channel availability,  go to that provider and read the details about the kind of device you need.  they will list all your choices.  Here's the page from YouTubeTV, for example:   https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7129767?hl=en&ref_topic=7071745

I have a Samsung Smart TV, but it's old.  I'm going to get a new one next weekend I decided, for $129, so then I won't have to add any Roku or other devide to pick up my YouTubeTV. The app for it will be downloadable from my Samsung TV. If it isn't preloaded already. YouTubeTV is my choice because I will be able to get network channels (my husband wants them) and more importantly for me, they are soon to be adding PBS according to a press release this past July.  

Keeping my Internet and phone with Xfinity will cost me $106.  YouTubeTV is $50 a month. I am still saving around $65 a month over what I need to pay Xfinity to watch TCM on 2 sets. More than the money though, it's the principle of being jacked around all the time.  I am not a techie person, but I'm no Luddite either.  I don't care how things work- I just follow the instructions step by step to make them work.  And if I don't get it right, I find someone who will come over and help.  Good luck! 

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I feel compelled to add my feeling of outrage at Comcast making the decision to remove TCM and insert it in a Sports Package!  It’s ludicrous that they expect people who are avid viewers of TCM would want to pay more money each month for a Sports package.  None of their reasons make any sense.  They are also aware that they are denying entertainment for many homebound senior citizens in this country.    Shame on Comcast for such a heartless decision.   They should be compensating customers in other ways for removing TCM from our package.    I hope Comcast get enough pushback on this stupid decision to force them to come to their senses and reverse it.  Otherwise - time to look at other options!   

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

It is amazing rhe choices made by executives who neither think about nor understand the absurd decisions they make to "increase" revenue. EXACTLY what was the thought process that impelled XFINITY to add a "classic movie" channel to a SPORTS PKG??!! UUGGH I'm gone.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

TCM's response is unfortunately the service provider made the decision and we can upgrade, or change carriers. 😞

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

The move isn't about the 9.99/month.  It's to increase the numbers of sports channel subscribers so the pigs at ComCast can charge the sports people more. The higher the subscriber rate the more they can charge ESPN and others to broadcast their stuff.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

One of the only watchable channels and they get rid of it!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here