mbg71's profile

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

Thursday, August 29th, 2019 5:00 AM

Closed

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.    Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I personally pay for Comcast internet service only at $39.95 a month.

dover, delaware

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I was told my “contract” allows them to change anything at anytime BUT if I want to change anything, I have to pay a penalty.  Sounds fair to me.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I agree with all prevoius posts. I will review my current Comcast TV package and see what I can remove to drop to a lower and cheaper tier. Also will watch for an altwrnative to come to my area.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Lame excuse , Comcast.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I'm seriously thinking of ditching Comcast altogether over this - which will mean no TV at all, unless I go to satellite.  But it might be for the best.  Ironic - I'm one of the baby boomer generation that grew up on TV and help make it what it's become - going back to the days of my dad, sitting in the backyard listening to baseball over the radio.  I would keep the computer connection - but $171/month for less and less shows me that Comcast gives not a rat's rear for what we feel, like all monopolies.  They know they have us where they want us and they can ride their regal carriage over our toes, knowing they're fully protected by law for insult and injury.  I was bald-faced lied to by an Xfinity Walmart rep who told me that there was a "customer loyalty desk" that could help me reduce my monthly bill considering the thirty years I've been a subscriber.  HA!  I assure you that desk is vacant.  There is no company loyalty.   

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

The way I've heard these things work. Comcast pays a certain fee to a channel based on the amount of customers that channel reaches. So if TCM ups their price, you multiply that increase by let's just say 1 million suscribers. Comcast retorts by putting channel in a tier that has only 100,000 suscribers. This more than makes up for the increase of course. Therefore, do not believe TCM wanted to be put in a higher tier (would you want less money in your check?). . Channels fight to be taking off higher tiers and relocated to lower tiers (ala Bein Sports). . They know this channel is more popular with older people who are less likely to switch to streaming. Any enhancements are usually to bring in/retain younger people which is why we so many apps loaded on our boxes.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Comcast is saying that 90% of their viewers rarely watch TCM.  But I am betting that the other 10% watch it A LOT.  So Comcast made the decision that they could move TCM and those viewers would pay the extra $10.  This is a money grab by Comcast.  I pay over $150.00 a month, and I watch just a few channels -- TCM is my favorite.  I'm paying the extra $10 for TCM, but I also had to drop HBO ($15.00).  So Comcast is getting $5.00 less from me.   Maybe I wouldn't be so mad if they bundled TCM with a Movie Package that offered me other channels I would watch.  But a Sports Package -- seriously!

I am looking into other TV providers (like Metronet).  I have stuck with Comcast when most of my neighbors are leaving, but this is just one more nail in Comcast's coffin.  

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I am in senior housing we are in a group plan I pay a lot for Comcast cuz I have extra stuff because when I was getting my cancer treatments I wanted to record many shows I've never had a problem with Comcast until yesterday when all the older people we're asking me do you have Channel 61 TCM I looked it said not available I called I waited a long time and the girl said as of yesterday is a package and Entertainment Sports Package I asked you it's all about money not about the people they will lose money and they will lose customers this is the dumbest thing they ever did older people don't need Sports I watch sports but I don't need any more Sports and this package is like a hundred and twenty dollars a  year ridiculous you need to get rid of this so many older people watch this Channel and you take it away once again the seniors are abused especially vulnerable ones.shame on you.senior customer.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Consumer Reports Magazine Cover - Sept 9, 2019:

CABLE WANTS YOU BACK ... cable vows it's new & improved.

Comcast - October, 2019

TCM moved to a higher priced tier

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

5 years ago

Reading through these comments,  I'd say that Comcast needs to seriously consider reversing this move.  Seems to me like they stand to loose a lot of business if they don't.  Comcast, you're not the only video provider out there.  You DO have competition.  Just sayin....

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Could NOT agree more. Its all about $$$$$$. & YES. Y DONT THEY MOVE LOCAL ACCESS, SPANISH ,SHOPPING NETWORKS, SPORTS. ETC ???& JUNK ????.

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

5 years ago

@fivecatz wrote:

I spoke to someone at Comcast/Xfinity this morning and they told me it was the broadcaster (TCM) that requested the move to the sports package.

LOL that's a good one.  Why would a broadcaster request to be put into a higher tier?  You should wait awhile and call back.  Chances are you'll get someone else and see what they have to say.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I spoke to someone at Comcast/Xfinity this morning and they told me it was the broadcaster (TCM) that requested the move to the sports package.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Now let's start sending our concerns to TCM and see how THEY respond to Comcast putting the onus on them.

http://www.tcm.com/

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I agree.  We watch Turner Classics alot!  Not happy, and could care less about most sports.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here