Community Forum

NHL Center Ice 2019-20 Season

New Poster

NHL Center Ice 2019-20 Season

I tried calling the xfinity center to get NHL Center Ice for the season and was told to sign up for the Sports Entertainment Package (SEP) and it looks like I get the NHL Network but I can't tell if that includes NHL.TV or Center Ice.

How do I ensure I get Center Ice? for 2019-20 without missing the games? I'm frustrated with the puacity of data available...

Contributor

Re: NHL Center Ice 2019-20 Season

You will most likely have to wait until October 1st.  There is usually a 1-2 week free preview.  The agents still don't understand that the NHL Network is not Center Ice.  Just be patient it will be there

New Poster

New Xfinity customer. Does center ice come with nhl network? I have the sports and entertainment package now because of it. If it’s included I can drop it no? And it doesn’t come out till October 1st so no preaseason?
Regular Contributor

center ice only gets you the ceter ice package and no other channels

center ice is for regular season games only

Contributor
Official Employee

NHL Center Ice should be available on 9/23 to purchase the early bird offer. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

@ComcastChad

Hi Chad,
Thank you. What many of us are wanting to know is will NHL.tv be included with NHL Center Ice, just like MLB.tv was given to Extra Innings subscribers here as Comcast? Most every other major cable or satellite provider includes NHL.tv with the purchase of NHL Center Ice.
Official Employee

I was told it does not include access to NHL.tv.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Boooo!

Thanks for responding Chad.
Regular Contributor

Thanks for that, Chad. Do you know if subscriptions can be added via web, or must we (ugh) call?

Contributor

Based on Comcast's track record, if there are say, premium channels, like HBO or Showtime, that are in SD, there is always acess to the app where you could watch it on Roku or On Demand for that matter in HD.  

Since NHL Center Ice on Comcast TECHNICALLY is still a mixed SD/HD product, you would think Comcast would follow the trends I mention above and thus toss in NHL.tv to give everyone the HD experience.

I don't want to hear about Beta because it's just that.  Beta.  And we know what the people who subscribe to MLB Extra Innings just went through with their Beta product.  C'mon Comcast, be consistent.  It's the 21st Century, your regular Center Ice all in HD or throw in NHL.tv like the majority of Cable and Satellite providers.  This isn't a channel choice dispute, this is SD (1999) vs. HD (2019).

Thank you.

New Poster

I chatted with a Comcast agent who promised that all NHL Center Ice 2019-2020 games will be available in HD.  They did not say if that was in beta or not, and they did not know the price.  It will available in "early October" which is somewhat funny since the season starts on October 2.  Every customer seems to agree that broadcasting games in SD is just an insult to the customers, and you wonder why Comcast would even consider it.  Also, it seems that they should already know the price, so my suspicion is that it will be as expensive as NHL.tv (streamed on a Roku, for example), which is $116 for a single team and $145 for all teams/games (or maybe Comcast will charge even more??).  I would prefer to get this as an add-on to my Comcast package, and you would think that would be at least at a small discount to loyal Comcast cutomers versus buying NHL.tv directly from the NHL.

Official Employee

The subscription offer will be available on 9/23 and can easily be purchased from the X1 Interface and Games will be offered in HD as well.

Regular Contributor

@Microphone wrote:

And we know what the people who subscribe to MLB Extra Innings just went through with their Beta product.  

Thank you.

what exactly was that, I am unaware since I don't subscribe to the baseball package

Regular Contributor

@ComcastChad wrote:
The subscription offer will be available on 9/23 and can easily be purchased from the X1 Interface and Games will be offered in HD as well.

so there will be like 9+ linear HD channels (with channel numbers)  for 'NHL center ice'

or is "offered in HD" mean via this 'Beta platform' (which seems to be around 5 years old now)

Regular Contributor

@billmich88888 wrote:

@ComcastChad wrote:

so there will be like 9+ linear HD channels (with channel numbers)  for 'NHL center ice'

or is "offered in HD" mean via this 'Beta platform' (which seems to be around 5 years old now)

Cmon,  surely you know the answer to that Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

@tbill1 wrote:

@billmich88888 wrote:

@ComcastChad wrote:

Cmon,  surely you know the answer to that Smiley Happy

I just want HIM to go on the record and say it.

and by calling it beta (even if it is YEARS OLD" it allows then to wiggle out of any financial commitment because they state "well its only a beta thing"

they have no intentions of ever taking it out oif beta as far as I can see

Contributor

@billmich88888 wrote:

@Microphone wrote:

And we know what the people who subscribe to MLB Extra Innings just went through with their Beta product.  

Thank you.

what exactly was that, I am unaware since I don't subscribe to the baseball package

There was an outage of the MLB Beta channels/app this past weekend and customer service denied it or had no clue what the Beta app was.  They just said MLB EI was up, which it was, but that was/is the mostly SD version.  They would later say since MLB EI Beta is just that, that anyone who asked for a refund in theory for games missed wouldn't get it.  I don't think that's the issue or what people REALLY wanted.  The issue is when you call Manila or south of the U.S., CS should know what MLB, NHL, & NBA Beta is.  They demonstrated this past weekend they don't.

I know that unless NHL CI comes with NHL.tv, that I'm just buying NHL.tv.  A few extra steps to get there and a bit of hassle, but I know I'm getting all the out of market games in HD without problems.  And anyone out there who thinks clicking to Roku then NHL.tv or MLB.tv is extra steps, getting to no channel number Beta teams is a lot of extra steps too. 

There's no way to assign any channel number to them Comcast folks?

Official Employee

I believe the plan is to remove the “beta” tag and assign channels that will appear in the guide. Will have to check if it will be ready before the season starts or is updated after.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastChad wrote:
I believe the plan is to remove the “beta” tag and assign channels that will appear in the guide. Will have to check if it will be ready before the season starts or is updated after.

this is great news if true, but i will believe it when i see it because of the lengthy time this "beta" has been around.

I am sure any "linear channel number" that is assigned, that these channels will still be IP channels

Contributor

@billmich88888 wrote:

@ComcastChad wrote:

this is great news if true, but i will believe it when i see it because of the lengthy time this "beta" has been around.

I am sure any "linear channel number" that is assigned, that these channels will still be IP channels

Thanks for responding @ComcastChad and I agree Bill.  The Xfinity App and these sports packages are way past the expiration dates listed on them regarding Beta.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastChad wrote:

Is  that also the plan (for next spring) for MLB extra innings ?

New Poster

Chad - one of the big problems in the past was that you couldn’t record games in HD (on access live through the Beta channel). Being a west coast fan of an east coast team - I have to record almost all the games to watch later. So I couldn’t watch via Xfinity and had to subscribe through the NHL site (which works but not easy and has some issues). Are you guaranteeing that this year xFinity will have NHL Center Ice be like other sports and have an HD channel for each game so it can be recorded? If so I will do that instead of through NHL.
Contributor

As promised, now advertised (see below).

And as promosed, no mention of NHL.TV like MLB EI had MLB.TV Smiley Sad

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/digital-cable-tv/sports/nhl/center-ice

Regular Contributor

no mention of much of anything at all in that link......

Contributor

Correct, nothing we don't already know.  Except that the NHL CI Early Bird Package is a couple of bucks cheaper than NHL.TV.

But I did sign in to my NHL.com this morning and Comcast/Xfinity is still NOT listed as an NHL.TV partner.

Contributor

Hey @billmich88888 (or anyone else) I searched old topics and saw your name in those.  You had the Beta NHL last year yes?  I'm a late March arriver from Directv so I don't know this....as of the end of last season could you pause or rewind/ff the Beta product?  I know recording was no go.  Thanks.

Regular Contributor

yes, you can rewind and pause and all that good stuff

the ONLY thing you could not do on those channels was record

Contributor

Thank you!

Regular Contributor

Ah, that’s not cool. I will subscribe to NHL.TV instead ($24.99/month). I like the ability to watch NHL games on demand and on the go, mobile.

But it would of been awesome if Comcast added NHL.TV with NHL Center Ice. Like they recently did with MLB Extra Innings and MLB.TV. I don’t even think Comcast offers access to NBA League Pass Digital on NBA.com, mobile, tablet or Roku/Apple TV with NBA League Pass Smiley Sad
Contributor

@bruistopher wrote:
Ah, that’s not cool. I will subscribe to NHL.TV instead ($24.99/month). I like the ability to watch NHL games on demand and on the go, mobile.

But it would of been awesome if Comcast added NHL.TV with NHL Center Ice. Like they recently did with MLB Extra Innings and MLB.TV. I don’t even think Comcast offers access to NBA League Pass Digital on NBA.com, mobile, tablet or Roku/Apple TV with NBA League Pass Smiley Sad

Yeah that's the part I don't get.  If Comcast was consistent and didn't offer the " .tv" products across the board, I'd understand the NHL decision.  But the fact they tossed in MLB.tv would lead you to think (check that, hope) they would throw in NHL.tv.  And I would think they'd almost want to as a fail safe in case the IP Beta product fails as it did with MLB recently.  Sometimes logic doesn't work.

Regular Contributor

Perhaps Comcast wants to do that and MLB was amenable to it and the other leagues are not.

Not all 4 pro leagues are run the same way by the same people

Just food for thought

Contributor

@billmich88888 wrote:

Perhaps Comcast wants to do that and MLB was amenable to it and the other leagues are not.

Just food for thought

The fact that Directv, Dish and a host of cable companies including Verizon Fios offer NHL CI in conjunction with NHL.tv leads me to believe the NHL is more than amenable to the idea

Regular Contributor

@Microphone wrote:

@billmich88888 wrote:

Just food for thought

The fact that Directv, Dish and a host of cable companies including Verizon Fios offer NHL CI in conjunction with NHL.tv leads me to believe the NHL is more than amenable to the idea

you need to put sugar on your cereal 1st thing in the morning, not SALT.......

Regular Contributor

It sounds like no one has actually signed up for CI for this year. I used my X1 cable box/remote and ordered it. Now, how do I know that the order actually "took"? I did get a message on the screen that my purchase was successful and that I would have access to CI within 2 hours--something that was literally imposible. This was at 10AM on Monday. If I navigate back to the NHL Center Ice voice search, I still see the "Subscribe" box. No email about the added service. My billing doesn't roll over until after Oct. 4. If anyone does sign up through web or tv box, please share with me your verification method from Comcast. Thanks.

Contributor

A quote from a subsciber to NHL CI from another provider yesterday.  Gee I wish this could happen to us:

"I tried to authenticate my free NHL.tv package from my Center Ice subscription again today and got the success screen. I guess I'll see tonight."

New Poster

How exactly did you 'authenticate' your free NHL.TV account through your NHL CI subscription?

Official Employee

Do you subscribe to HD service? HD is required to purchase NHL CI this year.

Contributor

@kndrmn wrote:

How exactly did you 'authenticate' your free NHL.TV account through your NHL CI subscription?

I didn't.  The person did who's cable or satellite provider includes NHL.tv with their NHL Center Ice subscription.  Just making the point of lot of providers do that.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastChad wrote:

ComcastChad, was this general info to the forum, or a response to my query regarding how to verify my CI purchase has actually been processed? I do subscribe to HD service.

EDIT: I stopped in at my local office today. Agent checked and the CI purchase shows up so I guess the X1 box order did work correctly. 

Contributor

@ComcastChad wrote:

Why is that Chad?  You have a bunch of SD 600's/1300's set aside again for NHL CI.  Why is the X1 manadatory?  Is something happening we don't know about?

Frequent Visitor

I used my X1 remote on Monday to sign up for Center Ice and got the same message that you did which was that it would be available in 2 hours. Well this is Tuesday and I go to channel 456 and I still get the same message I have been getting for 24 hours which is says that if I made a change to my account it is still being processed.  I also tried saying NHL Center Ice Beta on my X1 remote and it brings up the menu of all of the teams but when I click on any of the teams it says that I have to sign up which I already did.  

This is the same message I got for Extra Innings in September. When I called Comcast of course I got Mexico and they had no clue what I was talking about and I called 4 different times and got the same response each time. Nothing like getting no customer service when you call the Comcast Call Centers plus you can't understand them  because they barely speak English.

It turned out to be a software issue on the Comcast side with the Extra Innings problem that took 3 days to resolve. And this with Center Ice sound like it is a similiar problem.     

New Poster

@ComcastChad any news on this? Will all games be available in HD on their own channels this year so that they can be DVR'd? Since season starts tomorrow, hoping to have an answer.
Official Employee

You should be able to record in HD once the channels become available - last I was told is mid to late October.

Frequent Visitor

I stopped by the Comcast office this afternoon and one of the representatives checked and found no record that I had ordered the package through my X1 remote so he did it and it worked as I checked and the channels were available as was the Beta package.

Contributor

I did mine from my X1 remote between innings just now and all the channels "work", show that message listing tomorrow's 2 Canadian games, including on the Beta channels.
Regular Contributor

@seattle4sports wrote:

I also tried saying NHL Center Ice Beta on my X1 remote and it brings up the menu of all of the teams but when I click on any of the teams it says that I have to sign up which I already did.     

@Microphone wrote:
I did mine from my X1 remote between innings just now and all the channels "work", show that message listing tomorrow's 2 Canadian games, including on the Beta channels.

Of course it's early morning now, so I don't know what's going on since shows are at night. I get the same msg you got, but thought that related to MLB as that uses the same channels. Everyone should have the "free" preview for the next few days.

If I don't see that up-coming games screen that displays while no games are being aired, then I'll know something's not working. Sympathies on the calls--been there, which is why I wanted to avoid it (two years ago, the calls ended up with 3 subscriptions on my acct and only the last one actually got us CI. And, yes, no idea what Center Ice was.) It took at least four more calls to get the billing errors resolved. 

Regular Contributor

Now, I do see the listing page for two games for tonight on our regular CI channels (starting at 771). 

New Poster

Chad - so we won’t get all the games on their own HD channels until mid October? Why miss the start of the season??? Tomorrow night the Penguins play but only on an SD channel according to my TV listings. This seems insane to me - like you don’t want people to subscribe (will need to subscribe elsewhere and now you’ve lost them for whole season). Are you tanking your business on purpose for some reason or just completely incompetent?
Frequent Visitor

So we won't be able to get all games in HD until mid-late October or we won't be able to record them in HD until mid-late October?