mnw's profile

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

Monday, August 10th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

NBC 10 Boston in Bristol County, MA

Now that NBC 10 Boston will be on the air for 4 years as of January 1, 2021, when will Comcast in Bristol County, MA carry the station. WBZ, WCVB and WHDH are carried. The fact that Comcast owns NBC, should make it a no brainer to carry it in all of MA. I'd rather watch NBC10 Boston than NBC10 in Providence.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I am glad someone is posting about this because I was just thinking the same thing. I live in Mansfield, right on the Foxboro line; so the end of my street less than a quarter mile away is considered the Boston market, but here I am stuck with the garbage Rhode Island news from NBC Providence and I can only receive Fox 25 Boston in standard definition because of this. I work in Boston, and grew up here, but am told that I am part of Rhode Island by the FCC. Seriously, they might as well just give us news from Toledo, Ohio because I care about what happens there about the same amount as I care about what happens in Providence: zilch, zero, nada.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

I absolutely agree with you. I am in Easton on the Sharon/Brockton side. We live in MA and should not be shut out of any Boston stations. I think NBC10 Boston needs to be more aggressive in resolving this issue with the FCC considering they are owned by Comcast and they are losing a large viewership in MA thus affecting their revenue. Maybe our politicians (i.e. Ed Markey, who I believe was the on the communications committee in Washington) should get involved with this considering this is an election year.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

The biggest problem is the FCC. Comcast seems to be forced by the FCC to carry Providence channels in Bristol County, but Boston channels are optional. I read an article a couple of years ago that there was a movement to move towns within I-495 into the Boston DMA rather than the Providence DMA.

https://www.easton.ma.us/boards_and_committees/cable_advisory_committee/faqs.php

This seems to be an old link unfortunately so I’m not sure that the effort is still ongoing.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

I did read this article which shows that this issue was discussed in the town of Easton in 2009 at the time when Verizon FIOS was being considered. Obviously, nothing has resulted from this in 11 years. I wrote a letter to the chairman of the Cable committee in Easton to see if they can readdress the issue with the FCC in Bristol County. I will post any response I receive.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

This is the reply by the Chairman of the Easton, MA Cable Advisory Committee:

Thank you for your inquiry. I have reached out to both Comcast and Verizon FiOS for an official update on including “NBC 10 Boston” in their television channel lineup for Easton, MA.

The Verizon FiOS Franchise Service Manager has stated that Easton, MA is within the Providence Designated Market Area (DMA) and Easton receives the Providence FiOS channel lineup.

The Comcast Government Affairs Manager has also stated there are no plans at this time to launch NBC 10 Boston in the Providence DMA as they have a non-duplication agreement in place (Boston CBS/ABC channel offerings are grandfathered).

In regards to changing the Designated Market Area (DMA), the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) analysis and findings in the matter of DMA stated a few years ago that the current Neilson DMA system for determining local television markets will continue and remain unchanged.

I'll share my understanding of these types of channel concerns. Due to the geographical position of the Town of Easton, MA being in Bristol County that makes it part of the FCC's Providence/New Bedford Market (not Boston). With that said there are rules against intruding on other stations in other markets. Can anything be done? Not yet, but perhaps in time if the new "NBC Boston" can show "substantial viewership" then the FCC may allow it to expand. The process can take many years. Please be aware that you can still view the NBC Network programming on both Comcast and Verizon FiOS in the Town of Easton, MA but from the Providence affiliate channel WJAR.

I understand that is not the answer you were looking for, however, the solutions at this time is that you can try to receive one of two digital signals for "NBC 10 Boston" via an over-the-air antenna and digital tuner on channels 15.1 and 15.2. 

I appreciate your patience in regards to obtaining an official Verizon FiOS and Comcast answer (although, not what you wanted to hear) in this matter. The Easton Cable Advisory Committee is still in existence for matters just like this. We appreciate you making us aware of these types of issues.

If you have any further questions then feel free to contact me. If you wish to provide a contact address and phone number then I can pass it along to an official cable representative so you may deal with them directly. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Stuart Schoenfeld

Chairman, Easton Cable Advisory Committee

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

So I guess we’re stuck for now. Last week I reached out to both Senator Ed Markey and NBC 10 Boston, but have received 0 response as of right now. Kind of hilarious to me that towns where almost none of the population commute to Providence for work that they’d force us to receive Rhode Island programming. Like seriously if I worked in Rhode Island I might as well move further south since it’s both cheaper and closer to Providence..

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

On the plus side, I was able to download the NBC10 Boston app on my Roku TV plus the Fox 25 app, so I am able to watch both live newscasts via streaming. Sadly, the NBC 10 Boston app doesn’t always stream live in a high resolution but it’s serviceable. The Fox 25 app streams at an extremely high resolution and looks great (far better than the Standard-def feed that Xfinity gives us.) If you have a Roku device or TV I suggest you give it a try. I think they also have apps on other streaming devices as well.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

As mentioned in the response from the Easton cable chairman, in addition to trying to receive NBC 10 Boston over the air, Boston Fox 25 can also be received in HD the same way on 25.1 without any blackouts of Fox programming. Real handy for watching NFL Football where the Boston & Providence stations sometimes have different games.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

3 years ago

To add insult to injury, Comcast just announced today that on December 22, they are dropping WCVB (ABC) Channel 5 in Boston in Bristol County. We are stuck with WLNE Channel 6 from Providence. My "rabbit ears" will get a lot of use.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

3 years ago

Emailed the Cable Chairman from the Town of Easton to see if he can contact MA Senator Ed Markey who is on the communications committee to ask him to petition the FCC to change Bristol County to the Boston DMA so we won't lose any Boston stations and eliminate Providence channels.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here