cvk9's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, November 6th, 2019 2:00 PM

Closed

Marquee

I do not know what the status of Marquee sports will be but I do object to the cost of their fans and non-fans. I for one will consider changing my choice of TV provider if the cost goes up to support the Cubs payroll. Comcast, please hold the line and not pay the Cubs

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

All,

We appreciate all the inquiries and interest in regard to the Marquee Sports Network. At this time, Comcast does not carry the Marquee Sports Network.  If this changes in the future, we will be sure to update this post with additional details.

Below you will find some additional Frequently Asked Questions about Marquee Sports Network. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Marquee Sports Network?

The Marquee Sports Network is a new regional sports network operated by Sinclair Broadcast Group and the Chicago Cubs that launched February 22, 2020. It is devoted exclusively to Cubs baseball and televises games previously on NBC Sports Chicago, WLS-TV and WGN-TV.

Do you plan to offer the channel in the future?
We can’t make guesses about possible channel additions in the future. However, we regularly evaluate our channel lineups as our customers' interests change and make changes we think will add more value to their services.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Not a fan.  If the  new channel is a-la-carte, I'll pass.  If Comcast or the Cubs think that they can force a hike in my bill for their network, I'll cancel my TV service.

Problem Solver

• 

723 Messages

5 years ago

I doubt very many, if any, Comcast prices will go up because of Marquee. Comcast seems to be playing hardball with these new "limited" regional sports networks - for example, Colorado's new Altitude Sports channel (which has pretty much just the NBA Nuggets and NHL Avalanche), which Comcast has not added yet. Also remember that, at least with Comcast, it will be available only in what MLB considers the "Cubs (and White Sox) area," as opposed to, say, the Cardinals, Brewers, Reds, or Tigers areas.

Side note: Marquee premieres on February 22, which, not particularly coincidentally, is the date of the Cubs' first 2020 Spring Training game.

Contributor

• 

75 Messages

5 years ago

What about those who actually want to see the Cubs?  (Not that they're worth a darn at this point--2016 seems like ancient history now.)

I'd rather Comcast give me the choice of watching them or not watching them, instead of forcing my hand in not watching them (chaging providers isn't really an option for me, and I'm leery about cutting the cord).

I hope this will not a long, protracted fight.  I sense it might be.  The Cubs and Comcast were formerly partners.  I hope bitterness and pettiness won't be a factor. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Those that want to see the Cubs should pay for it. Those that don’t shouldn’t have to subsidize it. The Cubs are gouging their fans, and that’s standard for them, don’t try to gouge non-fans!

Contributor

• 

75 Messages

5 years ago

OK, why was part of my post muzzled?  I said nothing that wasn't factual--Comcast has had a history of protracted battles with broadcasting companies about channels.  They took about a year to up with BTN (losing one full football and basketball season in the process) and are currently in a battle with ESPN regarding ACCN (which appears headed for the same fate, if not longer).  Facts are facts--regardless of whether a moderator wants to censor it or not.  So there is precedent to worry about whether Comcast and Sinclair will come to terms on Marquee.

Regular Visitor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Hey Comcast Chicago Area,

Please get to an agreement Soon!!!  I hope the agreement comes before spring training!!!  You wouldn't want me to switch to another provider!  I know that there probably alot of people on here that would agree with me!

Contributor

• 

589 Messages

5 years ago

If Comcast thinks the TCM thread was long with complaints...............I can only imagine if they string this out to opening day.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I really hope that Comcast makes the right move in Chicago and makes a deal with the Marquee Sports Network. I have been a Chicago Cubs fan for most of my life and a Comcast customer for years. Unfortunately, not having access to Cubs games in 2019 would be reason enough for me to consider another cable provider or to consider cutting the cord with cable altogether. Any news on a possible carriage deal?

Problem Solver

• 

723 Messages

4 years ago

I assume you live in the "Cubs area" - according to one map I have seen, that is Illinois (except the immediate St. Louis area), Iowa, and most of Indiana (except the immediate Cincinnati area). Otherwise, even if Comcast wanted to include Marquee, it would be required by Major League Baseball to black out any Cubs games.

The problem may not be entirely with Comcast. According to one Chicago Tribune article I saw, Marquee may want something like $6 per cable subscriber out of the Regional Sports Fee. Imagine how pretty much everybody who currently gets NBC Sports Chicago (for, say, Bulls or Blackhawks games) but don't follow the Cubs  would feel if they had to pay an extra $6/month.

Oh, and if you eventually do decide to switch? You probably don't want to bother with Dish; the last I heard, it turned Marquee down flat.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I will 100% be dropping Comcast if you do not carry the Marquee network.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the detailed response. I live in Chicago, so I know I'll have options for switching. You make a good point about MLB and blackout games; I'm originally from central Illinois where that can be a real issue for relatives of mine during the regular season. I actually just saw a friend post an email from his local cable provider that included the additional fee to provide access to Marquee. He and I are big enough fans that we'd reluctantly pay more because we will watch enough games to get the money's worth, but I can see how it would be a big sticking point for a more casual viewer.

Problem Solver

• 

723 Messages

4 years ago

I just saw another report that says that Marquee wants "only" $4/month, and that negotiations with Comcast have apparently "just started."

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

I'd definitely switch to Dish or AT&T for the Cubs games. Comcast kinda stinks anyway. Had Dish a few years ago and wouldn't mind going back. I'd pay $4 or $6 a month more the Cubs.

Problem Solver

• 

723 Messages

4 years ago

@realitychick1 wrote:

I'd definitely switch to Dish or AT&T for the Cubs games. Comcast kinda stinks anyway. Had Dish a few years ago and wouldn't mind going back. I'd pay $4 or $6 a month more the Cubs.

Don't bother with Dish; it won't even carry NBC Sports Chicago (the Bulls, Blackhawks, and White Sox channel), and also hasn't made an agreement with Altitude Sports (there's a lengthy thread on this board about Comcast also not carrying it) or most of the Fox regional sports networks. I think DirecTV and AT&T already have a contract with Marquee.

There's plenty of time for Comcast and Marquee to come to an agreement; the first spring training game isn't until 2/22.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here