Community Forum

Marquee

Highlighted
New Poster

Marquee network

If you don’t get The Marquee Network by opening day, I’m switching to Directv
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Marquee

I am not a Cub fan. But Cub fans should have access to their new network. But as a non cub fan, I won’t be watching them, so I do not want my bill raised for something I don’t want. So Xfinity, give them this network for free, or make it a separate fee for anyone who wants it.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Marquee


@Kambala9 wrote:
I am not a Cub fan. But Cub fans should have access to their new network. But as a non cub fan, I won’t be watching them, so I do not want my bill raised for something I don’t want. So Xfinity, give them this network for free, or make it a separate fee for anyone who wants it.

I think the problem with that - and keep in mind that this is just speculation - is, Marquee supposedly wants $4 per month from everyone who could get the channel - and probably wants everybody who currently gets NBC Sports Chicago to get Marquee as well. Assume 20% of the people that have a tier with NBC Sports Chicago (including what I assume is the vast majority who never watch it) want a Cubs network; in order for Marquee to get the money it wants, Comcast has to charge everyone who wants Marquee $20/month. If only 10% of the people in that tier want Marquee, that's $40/month. How many Cubs fans would pay that?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Marquee

The other problem with that idea is what about the people who would rather have Marquess instead of the current channel that carries the Bulls, Blackhawks and Sox. I couldn’t care less about any of those teams and I have to pay for them. So if people who don’t care about the Cubs have to pay for them, I really don’t feel sorry for them. We are talking about $4. What does the other sports network cost? For that matter Comcast could have just hidden the cost by charging a few dollars more for equipment. It is not a big deal.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Marquee


@ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

 

We appreciate all the inquiries and interest in regard to the Marquee Sports Network. At this time, Comcast does not carry the Marquee Sports Network.  If this changes in the future, we will be sure to update this post with additional details.

 

Below you will find some additional Frequently Asked Questions about Marquee Sports Network. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

 

 

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Marquee Sports Network?

The Marquee Sports Network is a new regional sports network operated by Sinclair Broadcast Group and the Chicago Cubs that launched February 22, 2020. It is devoted exclusively to Cubs baseball and televises games previously on NBC Sports Chicago, WLS-TV and WGN-TV.

 

Do you plan to offer the channel in the future?
We can’t make guesses about possible channel additions in the future. However, we regularly evaluate our channel lineups as our customers' interests change and make changes we think will add more value to their services.


Gee.... thanks for telling us what we already know! It is seriously time to start looking into how much DirecTV cost because EVERYTIME we ask we get the same, canned response.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Marquee


@pkwrig72 wrote:

Gee.... thanks for telling us what we already know! It is seriously time to start looking into how much DirecTV cost because EVERYTIME we ask we get the same, canned response.

Would you rather hear this over and over again:
"We do not discuss our negotiations with channels in public - and, in case you haven't noticed, neither do (a) the channels, nor (b) any other cable/satellite companies also in negotiations."

 

For some reason, nobody discusses these things in public. I think that one side or the other does not want "the competition" to know how much a particular cable/satellite service is paying.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Marquee

THe issue with waiting is Comcast is getting themselves up for people to shop. And when people shope they find out they can get a better package with a different provider. As an example, I am ready to make the switch to u-verse. I am waiting because I really would rather stay with Comcast. But I have been preparing myself to drop cable and internet. I have set up a gmail address and switched many things I have tied into Comcast to my gmail address. I have also contacted u-verse to get a price. Interesting enough, it will be $30+ cheaper for the same channels AND MARQUEE. My only reservation is I do not like change, or people in my house working. But if/when all my accounts and contacts have been moved over, if Comcast still does not have it together, I am gone. And I think others will as well once they realize cheaper options. So comcast can roll the dice and hope people don't leave. But I think they are making a mistake.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Marquee Network

Comcast needs to reach an agreement with Marquee/Sinclair so Cub fans can watch the games on TV. I’ve been a Comcast customer for over 30 years
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Marquee

Right on!
Highlighted
New Poster

I want my Cubs!!

Please add Cubs games on Marquee Network to my sports package.

Highlighted
New Poster

Don’t deny us the Cubs!

My family as well and my parents and in laws ( both seniors) have been watching every game of the Cubs for years. That is their entertainment and subject of most conversations. Please support them as we have all supported your company by being loyal customers for years.
Highlighted
New Poster

CUBS GAMES

Are you going to add Marquee Network or do I have to go to DirecTV?

 

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: CUBS GAMES

Good luck getting DirectTV. AT&T is sharply cutting back on who can get it.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Cubs Games

Will be switching to another service on 3/20 unless comcast nets marquee sports

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

channel

is  comcast   get     marquee   sport network        thank you

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Marquee

My 90 year old mother's heart is breaking cause she can't see her Cubs games..she is a longtime comcast customer and is willing to pay more for Cubs coverage.  My siblings and I are now looking at switching her to another outlet so she can see her Cub games since Comcast is dragging this out.  I think if a person is willing to pay additional fee for something then a smart provider would offer it. Come on Comcast.

Highlighted
New Poster

Marquee Sports Network Suggestion

Why not just make the Marquee Sports Network available as an ala cart option just like HBO?  This would allow Cubs fans to see what Sinclair and the Cubs are actually charging.   I agree that every Comcast customer should have to pay a large amount for the Cubs if they do not watch them.  This would put pressure on the Cubs while allowing Cubs Fans who want to stay with Comcast to do so...albeit at some expense.  I'm pretty sure the Marquee option would be far less than the $55 Hulu Plus would cost each month.  This would address the Cubs argument that the Cubs can't charge Comcast less than other outlets without renegotiating those contracts.   If the Cubs should change their pricing at a later date, then Comcast can add the Marquee Network into the Regional Sports package for a more reasonable cost then.  Absent this approach, many die-hard Cub Fans willing to pay the extra will be forced to move to Direct TV and leave Comcast in the next few weeks.  Once they leave, they will be gone for years.  So, is any consideration being given to the ala carte option?  Or should I just switch to Direct TV now and take my $300 per month with me?

 

 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Marquee

Are you sure about the numbers here?  If the cost is about $5 for every subscriber, then it would be $10 for 1/2 the subscribers and $20 for 1/4.   If Hulu Plus can charge $55 for their pacakage, I find it hard to believe adding Marquee as a stand alone option would be that much.  I guess I could see $20 to $25 per month.  If more people signed up, then Comcast could drop the price going forward.  While this option might be aggravating to some, it is better than having no choice but to switch to Direct TV or pay the $55 to Hulu on top of the current monthly bill.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Marquee

One other thought.  You say that Marquee wants $4 for every customer who "could" get the channel.  If that means every Comcast customer, then how do you compare that to Comcast competitors?  It sounds like a penalty for being large.  How many customers does Hulu have?   Why does Marquee have to be part of the basic package?  Why would the cost be calculated on that?


@ThatDonGuy wrote:

@Kambala9 wrote:
I am not a Cub fan. But Cub fans should have access to their new network. But as a non cub fan, I won’t be watching them, so I do not want my bill raised for something I don’t want. So Xfinity, give them this network for free, or make it a separate fee for anyone who wants it.

I think the problem with that - and keep in mind that this is just speculation - is, Marquee supposedly wants $4 per month from everyone who could get the channel - and probably wants everybody who currently gets NBC Sports Chicago to get Marquee as well. Assume 20% of the people that have a tier with NBC Sports Chicago (including what I assume is the vast majority who never watch it) want a Cubs network; in order for Marquee to get the money it wants, Comcast has to charge everyone who wants Marquee $20/month. If only 10% of the people in that tier want Marquee, that's $40/month. How many Cubs fans would pay that?


 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Marquee

I'm not concerned about the price as much as whether Comcast will get Marquee onto the Comcast package.  If opening day rolls around and their is no Comcast deal - Bye Bye, I'm off to Uverse/AT&T

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Marquee

My guess is, and this is purely a guess, is that if a deal is done what will happen is the channel will be added to the sports/entertainment package which is not on basic cable but is an option that I think cost about 9.99 a month. That way the argument can be made that you are not paying for the marquee network if you don't want too, it is included in the package. Of course if you want NFL Network, Red Zone Channel, NBA Channel, Tennis channel, etc you will have to keep the sports entertainment package for that and Marquee will be added "for free". Then a month or two after it is up and running (assuming it is up and running) the cost of the sports/entertainment package will subtily increase by like 2 or 4 bucks a month and that is how they get all subscribers to pay for the channel wheather they watch it or not. That is really not much difffrent that now as while there are some channels on the SE package that I really want there are some i never watch.  This will likely be the same. Now if Marquee is insisting on being on the regular basic cable, like for example ESPN, thus forcing all subscribers to pay for it whether they want to or not, I think it will be a long time before see Marquee on Comcast.

 

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Marquee


@Mcimaru7 wrote:

I'm not concerned about the price as much as whether Comcast will get Marquee onto the Comcast package.  If opening day rolls around and their is no Comcast deal - Bye Bye, I'm off to Uverse/AT&T


I wish these threats actually worked.  But I don't believe Comcast cares whether you or any of us leave or not.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Marquee

I do not think people can opt out of a sports package currently on comcast. Or at least I am not aware of it. I believe MSCSN cost something like $9.00 a month. I am unaware of a package without it. So I am not sure Marquee can just go to something like that and people decide not to have it. It is either a charge to all viewers or they will not have the channel. And, let's face it, it is stupid that comcast has made an issue of this. They could have easily just hidden the cost by raising equipment prices and no one would have said a thing. 

As for the idea that comcast doesn't care what their customers think, they will very soon. When many leave to go to U-Verse (who is also cheaper) comcast will then care about customers. I am going to a friends house for the opener and then U-Verse is coming to my house the next day to switch. Already switched my e-mail off comcast, and soon the internet and cable will be with U-Verse. 39 years with comcast, and I am done. Over $200 a month with comcast and only $175 a month with U-Verse for the same package AND MARQUEE. I am sure I am not the only one leaving. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Marquee

This is not a threat. I’m going to Uverse to get Marquee!! Watch me, and I know of at least another 5 people who plan to do the same thing!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Marquee

I have been with Comcast since 1982.  On March 27, 2020 after 38 years I will terminate the comcast service and seek the best deal that carries the Marquee network.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Marquee Sports Network

I’m good with $4 a month - NOW make the deal already!!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Marquee

As a life-long Cubs fan I'd like to get the Marquee Network however I'm not willing to pay for it. My cable bill is too high already. Comcast needs to offer the network as an option if there's an additional cost.  Unfortunately this situation is caused by the Ricketts' need to make even more money. I may become a Sox fan as a result.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Marquee Sports Network


@Mcimaru7 wrote:
I’m good with $4 a month - NOW make the deal already!!

You may be - but what about the customers who aren't good with paying $4/month extra for another channel they will never watch?

 

I am pretty sure the $4/month is based on the assumption that pretty much every Comcast customer in Illinois, and a large chunk of Indiana as well, that has any level of service that includes, say, CNN would get this channel whether they want it or not - and that's $4 per month for each of these homes. If only 1/3 of these people actually want it, then whoever owns Marquee will probably want something much closer to $12/month; would you be "good" with that?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Marquee

I really have a hard time undertanding the logic of the so called Cubs fans who want to complain about Ricketts wanting to make money and how they do not feel they should have to pay $4 for them to get the Cubs. Do you not have a problem with Reinsdorf making money with 2 of his teams on CSN, which cost $9 and is part of the basic package? Why are you fine with that to see the sox, hawks and bulls? Two teams that he owns, but not okay with paying $4 for the Cubs? Why is what Ricketts doing so much worse? Simple fact is, Comcast raises prices all the time. If they promise not to raise your service price, they raise the price of equipment to get the bill up. I really do not see the issue with $4. Maybe they should put that on and then go with CSN as an option. Wonder how many woudl pay for CSN at $9 over the Marquee network at $4? I might still take both, but if I had to choose one, I would dump CSN. However, Comcast is not allowing that option. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Marquee

I really think that if/when the channel is added they may add it to the existing More sports and entertainment package and then raise that by a couple of bucks. Of course Ricketts and the Cubs would perfer they be on basic cable so Comcast has to pay for all subscribers but that is not how it is set up on WOW or DirecTV. On both of those there are basic packages that don't include the channel. My biggest fear, however, is that this issue won't be resoloved until well into the season and we will be able to watch SEC Gymnastics and PAC-12 Lacrosse in Chicago but not the Cubs

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Marquee

I think I would also switch to another cable Tv. Hope Comcast adds Marquee to the line up. Alreday paying too much for the service they provide.

 

Highlighted
New Poster

Cubs

Will  I be able to watch the Chicago Cubs in 2020 on Comcast?

 

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Cubs


@Arnie2 wrote:

Will  I be able to watch the Chicago Cubs in 2020 on Comcast?

 


At this point, it looks like only the Cubs games that are broadcast on national networks will be available on Comcast.   Search this forum for discussions on the Cubs, Comcast and Marquee Sports Network.  Hopefully, Comcast and Marquee Sports Network will reach an agreement allowing all Cubs games to be seen.   

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Cubs and Notre Dame Fans

Switch to hulu and not only get the marquee cubs station but hulu also carries the ACC channel to watch the Notre Dame games for $60 a month.  Sounds like a deal to me. Comcast customer for 30 years but ready to cut the cord.  With my current contract I can keep just my comcast internet for $60 a month and not pay the disconnect fee. $120 total, Im paying $200 a month to comcast right now. Hulu actually has quite a few stations I like, not a bunch of junk I dont watch.  Maybe next fall when the baseball season is over I would go back to comcast.  We really dont watch alot of TV in the summer months, bit if I cant watch the cubs I have to switch.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Cubs and Notre Dame Fans

Is it up on hulu yet? Last I heard it was not. That said, Hulu plus comcast internet isn't much of a savings, if any for me, compared to just goign all with U-verse. Hulu is $60 a month, but then I would get HBO. So that is another charge. Plus I would get more space for recordings and more places to view. So that would be another $10. U-verse for 3 tv's all the channels I already have and internet would cost me about $174 a month. I just talked to comcast and they informed me that for my 200 speed internet the monthly cost would be $83, plus I rent the modem. So another $14. All in Hulu plus comcast internet woudl cost me more than just doing everything u-verse. And I also like the way u-verse has the shows appear ont he tv. More what I am used to then what I fear I would get with Hulu. And, in addition to Hulu cost with comcast internet, I would need to get 2 firesticks, because 2 of my tvs are not smart tvs. 

So the end result is unless something is announced in the next week to 10 days, I will be with u-verse opening day. 

That said, when talking to the CSR she indicated that the marketing department is well aware of a lot of people being very upset about this. And they are working very hard to make Marquee a part of their package. Not really sure how hard they have to work. Seems if they say "deal' it will be done. That doesnt seem too hard. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Marquee Sports Network

I didn't know we had a choice!  Then go to AT&T, but as I stated - I'm OK with $4.


@ThatDonGuy wrote:

@Mcimaru7 wrote:
I’m good with $4 a month - NOW make the deal already!!

You may be - but what about the customers who aren't good with paying $4/month extra for another channel they will never watch?

 

I am pretty sure the $4/month is based on the assumption that pretty much every Comcast customer in Illinois, and a large chunk of Indiana as well, that has any level of service that includes, say, CNN would get this channel whether they want it or not - and that's $4 per month for each of these homes. If only 1/3 of these people actually want it, then whoever owns Marquee will probably want something much closer to $12/month; would you be "good" with that?


 

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Marquee Sports Network

Since we're all (Chicago area) currently paying more than $8 for a regional sports network that USED TO broadcast some number of Cubs games, if that charge dropped by say $2 (less valuable without Cubs), I would be less troubled about paying $4 to add the Marquee network. I have not personally heard anything about lowering the regional sports charges, have you?

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Marquee Sports Network

We probably should not assume that Comcast is the issue here... it could be Sinclair and the Cubs.  Sinclair is not in very good shape lately (their stock is down 15%) and they have a lot of RSNs that are being dropped by a number of carriers.  Comcast and the Cubs are playing some type of chicken and Comcast probably knows that the Cubs will be in some serious trouble if over 50% of Cubs fans can't watch the game.  This is how you lose fanbase (or Comcast loses subscribers).  I have read so many articles on this over the past three months and it sounds very complex and we're talking about multi-billion-dollar negotiations.  When the weather is nice I'll hang outside and listen on the radio and I may just have to deal with that for awhile.  20 years as a Comcast customer but I could always shop around for something better.  

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Marquee Sports Network

Looks like Comcast and Marquee got at least a couple of extra weeks to come to a deal before what seems to be half of Illinois leaves for DirecTV/U-Verse/cutting the cord - Opening Day will be delayed because of the Coronavirus.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Marquee network

I’m not a fan of the white sox and bulls, don’t watch them, but I pay for the channel because it’s part of the service I have. That argument doesn’t hold water. Everyone pays for channels they don’t watch.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Marquee Network

When are you getting the Marquee network. I realize these are trying times, but having that network added would be a nice jesture to your loyal customers. Just because baseball is not starting please do not take advantage of this time to stall on a deal. I have signed up for a 7 day trial with Hulu, and I will admit I am enjoying Marquee. If, at the end of htis week trial Comcast still does not have Marquee they run the risk of losing a loyal customer of 41 years.  At the very least I will be cutting the cable. In the end I might end up switching that as well and signing with U-Verse. Bot options 9hulu plus comcast internet, or straight U-Verse) are cheaper than my current package. But as a loyal customer, I would rather just stay with Comcast. However, if Marquee is not on the channel list I will have to move. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Will Comcast carry Marquee Sports Network?

It's the only way to watch chicago cubs games now.

Highlighted
New Poster

Marquee Network

Will Comcast offer the Chicago Cubs games on the Marquee Sports Network this summer? And if so at what price?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Marquee Network

Nothing has been announced yet

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

OK, it's about time. Get a deal done with Marquee.

Not gonna let this get buried to a lower page just because we don't have a baseball season currently.  You know many of your customers want it (and if some don't because it's feeding the Ricketts family pockets--I get it, but their former co-ownership of NBCSCH also fed their pockets, just to a lesser degree).

 

My sense is that even if there were a baseball season, you'd still be reluctant to carry the channel--Comcast is now a jilted former partner who is now in tight with the other baseball team in town (plus two non-baseball teams), and you're letting pettyness and bitterness sway you.

 

Get a friggin' deal done, and let us make the choice whether or not we get to watch the channel.  Don't unilaterally decide for us that we don't.  Dishes aren't options for some of us, so we're stuck with you.  Work it out.

Highlighted
Contributor

Marquee

Get a deal done, Comcast. It’s beyond time.
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Chicago Cubs & Comcast are close on Marquee Sports Network

Since the main Marquee thread is locked, I have to post this separately.

"Chicago Cubs fans might avoid a shutout in their hopes to watch their favorite team on television — and maybe even in person.

The team is close to finalizing an agreement with several carriers, including Comcast, to carry their televised games on the Marquee Sports Network."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-marquee-sports-rooftops-20200625-xn42wjqy...

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Chicago Cubs & Comcast are close on Marquee Sports Network

Close is good.  Reached is better.

 

Git 'er done.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Chicago Cubs & Comcast are close on Marquee Sports Network

Yep. Time to come to an agreement. Really don’t want to change my provider. But I will if there is no deal.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Chicago Cubs & Comcast are close on Marquee Sports Network

Close is not done.... get it done!