Community Forum

Marquee

New Poster

Marquee

I do not know what the status of Marquee sports will be but I do object to the money grabbing mentality of sports owners at the cost of their fans and non-fans. I for one will consider changing my choice of TV provider if the cost goes up to support the Cubs payroll. Comcast, please hold the line and not pay the Cubs <Edited>

Regular Contributor

Re: Marquee

I doubt very many, if any, Comcast prices will go up because of Marquee. Comcast seems to be playing hardball with these new "limited" regional sports networks - for example, Colorado's new Altitude Sports channel (which has pretty much just the NBA Nuggets and NHL Avalanche), which Comcast has not added yet. Also remember that, at least with Comcast, it will be available only in what MLB considers the "Cubs (and White Sox) area," as opposed to, say, the Cardinals, Brewers, Reds, or Tigers areas.

Side note: Marquee premieres on February 22, which, not particularly coincidentally, is the date of the Cubs' first 2020 Spring Training game.

Contributor

What about those who actually want to see the Cubs?  (Not that they're worth a darn at this point--2016 seems like ancient history now.)

<Edited>  I'd rather Comcast give me the choice of watching them or not watching them, instead of forcing my hand in not watching them (chaging providers isn't really an option for me, and I'm leery about cutting the cord).

I hope this will not a long, protracted fight.  I sense it might be.  The Cubs and Comcast were formerly partners.  I hope bitterness and pettiness won't be a factor.  <Edited>

New Poster

Those that want to see the Cubs should pay for it. Those that don’t shouldn’t have to subsidize it. The Cubs are gouging their fans, and that’s standard for them, don’t try to gouge non-fans!
Contributor

OK, why was part of my post muzzled?  I said nothing that wasn't factual--Comcast has had a history of protracted battles with broadcasting companies about channels.  They took about a year to up with BTN (losing one full football and basketball season in the process) and are currently in a battle with ESPN regarding ACCN (which appears headed for the same fate, if not longer).  Facts are facts--regardless of whether a moderator wants to censor it or not.  So there is precedent to worry about whether Comcast and Sinclair will come to terms on Marquee.