Community Forum

Marquee Sports Network

New Poster

Marquee Sports Network

I really hope that Comcast makes the right move in Chicago and makes a deal with the Marquee Sports Network. I have been a Chicago Cubs fan for most of my life and a Comcast customer for years. Unfortunately, not having access to Cubs games in 2019 would be reason enough for me to consider another cable provider or to consider cutting the cord with cable altogether. Any news on a possible carriage deal?

Regular Contributor

Re: Marquee Sports Network

I assume you live in the "Cubs area" - according to one map I have seen, that is Illinois (except the immediate St. Louis area), Iowa, and most of Indiana (except the immediate Cincinnati area). Otherwise, even if Comcast wanted to include Marquee, it would be required by Major League Baseball to black out any Cubs games.

The problem may not be entirely with Comcast. According to one Chicago Tribune article I saw, Marquee may want something like $6 per cable subscriber out of the Regional Sports Fee. Imagine how pretty much everybody who currently gets NBC Sports Chicago (for, say, Bulls or Blackhawks games) but don't follow the Cubs  would feel if they had to pay an extra $6/month.

Oh, and if you eventually do decide to switch? You probably don't want to bother with Dish; the last I heard, it turned Marquee down flat.

New Poster

Thanks for the detailed response. I live in Chicago, so I know I'll have options for switching. You make a good point about MLB and blackout games; I'm originally from central Illinois where that can be a real issue for relatives of mine during the regular season. I actually just saw a friend post an email from his local cable provider that included the additional fee to provide access to Marquee. He and I are big enough fans that we'd reluctantly pay more because we will watch enough games to get the money's worth, but I can see how it would be a big sticking point for a more casual viewer.

Regular Contributor

I just saw another report that says that Marquee wants "only" $4/month, and that negotiations with Comcast have apparently "just started."

New Poster

I'd definitely switch to Dish or AT&T for the Cubs games. Comcast kinda stinks anyway. Had Dish a few years ago and wouldn't mind going back. I'd pay $4 or $6 a month more the Cubs.

Regular Contributor

@realitychick1 wrote:

I'd definitely switch to Dish or AT&T for the Cubs games. Comcast kinda stinks anyway. Had Dish a few years ago and wouldn't mind going back. I'd pay $4 or $6 a month more the Cubs.

Don't bother with Dish; it won't even carry NBC Sports Chicago (the Bulls, Blackhawks, and White Sox channel), and also hasn't made an agreement with Altitude Sports (there's a lengthy thread on this board about Comcast also not carrying it) or most of the Fox regional sports networks. I think DirecTV and AT&T already have a contract with Marquee.

There's plenty of time for Comcast and Marquee to come to an agreement; the first spring training game isn't until 2/22.