ebl11's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, August 21st, 2013 7:00 AM

Closed

Fox Sports 2

As a NASCAR fan, I was afraid that I would not be able to see the same racing events that I used to see on Speed when they rebranded the channel this past weekend.  I was just proven correct.  I now won't be able to see the Whelan Modified race that is airing on FoxSports 2 from Bristol tonight as Comcast doesn't have Fox Sports 2 in the channel lineup.  I was able to watch it last year when it was on Speed.

I strongly encourage Comcast to rectify this situation and add Fox Sports 2 to the lineup.  If I can't watch the things I want to watch because the channel isn't available, then I'm going to look for a cable provider who can provide it.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Regular Contributor

• 

148 Messages

10 years ago

@Comcast Teds: you been so ready to reply, yet you haven't commented on anything of substance regarding my earlier post. What I really want to know is after raising our rates regularly for years, why suddenly, does COMCAST want to prevent our rates from increasing as a result of adding FOX SPORTS 2? We all know that you raise our rates every year anyway. Also, I notice my rates didn't go down when you got rid of UNIVERSL SPORTS, one of the few channels I watched regularly. I am really sick and tired of these excuses for not providing what your customers, that's the people who ultimately pay your wages, the channels they actually want to watch. I know that COMCASR is not the only ones to blame. Fox is just as responsible for upsetting the status quo. But you guys have been doing this for years. Whoever at COMCAST thought it would be a good idea to give us, strike that, MAKE US PAY FOR Al Jazeera should be fired. I don't want anybody sitting in a meeting, who has never talked to me, deciding what I get on television. Fox sports is NOT the company to blame that we cannot watch what we want to see on television. That would be you guys. Face it; our rates will go up anyway- at least make it palatable buy letting us watch the channels we want.

Regular Contributor

• 

90 Messages

10 years ago

ComcastTeds-

Just found out today that FS2 is available in SD on Channel 737 in Manayunk (a NW area of Philly) - but of course it's not on any of the suburban systems.

Any news on if this will ever roll out to the areas around Philly?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

ComcastTeds, You said: "Generally, new networks want to be added to a very widely distributed level of service for the potential of the most eyeballs (ratings) and advertising revenue. That means that the costs are then spread across all of our customers, not just to those who want to pay individually for that specific service or a Sports Package."

So, what I'm reading is that,since Fox Sports2 is available in some markets, I in fact already Pay for Fox Sports 2? I am paying for a channel that I want, but do not and can not get?

Regular Contributor

• 

148 Messages

10 years ago

RSG, you raise a valid point- our rates have gone up regularly over the years, yet COMCASTis losing diversity in its program lineup. As far as sports go, they cannot claim to have the most sports when one sees a page of nothing but College basketball scheduled. So to you, COMCAST TEDS, your position is untenable. We are already paying for FOX SPORTS 2, so let us watch it for crying out loud! Then all of this angst, anger and dissatisfaction goes away and you can get on with your meetings behind closed doors.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Maybe they should call Fox Sports 2  Al Jazzera Fox Sports 2 and Comcast will put it on!!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

10 years ago

@PSUMattDE wrote:

ComcastTeds-

Just found out today that FS2 is available in SD on Channel 737 in Manayunk (a NW area of Philly) - but of course it's not on any of the suburban systems.

Any news on if this will ever roll out to the areas around Philly?

The Manayunk-Roxborough area of Philadelphia was a Time Warner owned and managed cable system that was acquired by Comcast in the early 2000's.

Generally, the pre-acquisition programming agreement may allow for honoring the existing programming contracts for channels that were already on the cable system at the time of acquisition until such contract terms would expire or possibly subsequently be renewed.

This is likely the case in the situation that you reference above. 

As started earlier, we don't have any news to announce about additional distribution of Fox Sports 2 at this time.  Thanks for your interest.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

10 years ago

@RealSpyGirl wrote:

ComcastTeds, You said: "Generally, new networks want to be added to a very widely distributed level of service for the potential of the most eyeballs (ratings) and advertising revenue. That means that the costs are then spread across all of our customers, not just to those who want to pay individually for that specific service or a Sports Package."

So, what I'm reading is that,since Fox Sports2 is available in some markets, I in fact already Pay for Fox Sports 2? I am paying for a channel that I want, but do not and can not get?

Apologies if I wasn't as clear as I could have been. Let me try again:

"The costs are spread across all of the customers that have that channel in their level of service, not just to those who want to pay individually for that specific service or via a separate Sports Package."

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to clarify. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

10 years ago

@markdartj wrote:
RSG, you raise a valid point- our rates have gone up regularly over the years, yet COMCASTis losing diversity in its program lineup. As far as sports go, they cannot claim to have the most sports when one sees a page of nothing but College basketball scheduled. So to you, COMCAST TEDS, your position is untenable. We are already paying for FOX SPORTS 2, so let us watch it for crying out loud! Then all of this angst, anger and dissatisfaction goes away and you can get on with your meetings behind closed doors.

If you don't have Fox Sports 2 in your channel lineup, then you are not paying for Fox Sports 2. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

10 years ago

@duffey3700 wrote:

Comcast Ted, are you saying that when and if we start getting Fox Sports 2 then we will be paying an extra fee to receive it?

I was responding directly to the question above my response. 

For background - Fox Sports 2 (like most cable networks) charge a per subscriber fee per month to the video provider based on how many customers receive the channel.

Those new costs are usually passed along to our customers who receive that channel.

If you are on a cable system that already offers Fox Sports 2 on the channel lineup, then the cost of that network would be included in your monthly bundled cable invoice for video services. 

The larger issue (condensed version) is that sports programming is typically much more expensive than your usual cable network. That is just a fact; lots of factors contribute to that.

Most video providers would actually like to only provide some of the more costly sports networks on a Sports Package so that people that want those sports channels would bear the costs and that not all customers would have to pay for that service. 

Conversely, the cable networks would rather be seen by as many eyeballs as possible for advertising revenue, reach and ratings. 

The above is usually what the negotiations focus on.    

Costs and customer feedback have a lot to do with any programming decisions.

Some good background for all on the sports rights TV landscape and costs (from August 2013) from Variety at the link below:

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/sports-fans-to-spend-more-money-to-watch-favorite-teams-1200577215/#

Some folks may not care about all of that that background, but others may be interested.

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

Comcast Ted, are you saying that when and if we start getting Fox Sports 2 then we will be paying an extra fee to receive it?

Regular Contributor

• 

148 Messages

10 years ago

I read the Variety article, and basically what I got from it is that sports programming in general are the only thing keeping providers afloat. So it makes sense to me that you provide more sports programming, instead of trying to blackball a network because suddenly you're afraid you'll have to raise our rates. That rings very hollow, since, as I've said earlier, you raise our rates all the time. What needs to be done is get rid of all the chaff in your programming and use your apparently limited resources to satisfy your customers. How many shopping networks do we need? Why do we need ESPNHD and ESPN2HD on four channels instead of just two? It's a safe bet to assume that more people would want FOX SPOTS 2 than Al-Jazeera. Do you understand what I'm saying? You are wasting resources.
You refuted your own statement that costs for new networks are borne by everyone subscribing to COMCAST, not just those who have the sports and entertainment package. Also you have not addressed the fact that if Comcast is so pressed for money, that any network added will have to be paid for by the customers, YET- you seem to have bucket loads of cash to buy out your competitors in order to become a monopoly. Shouldn't be a problem for you, since the head of the FCC Tom Wheeler, was formerly head of the number one lobby for the cable industry. No conflict of interest there? And where is all that money coming from? My guess is that ultimately we are paying for that endeavour.
Something else I gleaned from the article in Variety, is that for years you had a profit margin of around 75%, and that now your margin is shrinking "to a more reasonable size".
So then, I put it to you again: since you are always raising our rates anyway, and those with the "sports and entertainment" package will be the ones bering the cost , not everyone else; I see no valid reason for not providing your loyal customers, your "most preferred customers" (COMCAST'S words, not mine) with what they want. You need to sell sports programming to remain relevant, so do it! Then all this ugliness doesn't get drawn out for another six months; it goes away. I am sick and tired of getting nothing but apologies because without action, they're just insincere. It's just one channel for god's sake. LET US WATCH IT! We are not giving up like obedient sheep.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

*Delete* Comcast/Xfinity does in fact carry fox sports 2 in my area. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Below shows us the nascar broadcasting comcast subsciber's are NOT able to view just from the next week. Any pace FS2 appears = You're Screwed.

Month...Date..... Day...... Start Time Program/Race.................................... Race Site....... Network Approx.GreenFlag

221Fri1:30 AMNASCAR Now ESPN2
221Fri6:00 AMNSCS: Budweiser Duels at DaytonaDaytonaFS2
221Fri11:00 AMNASCAR LiveDaytonaFS1
221Fri11:30 AMNSCS PracticeDaytonaFS1
221Fri1:00 PMNNS Coors Light Pole QualifyingDaytonaESPN2
221Fri2:30 PMNSCS PracticeDaytonaFS1
221Fri4:00 PMNCWTS Keystone Light Pole QualifyingDaytonaFS1
221Fri5:30 PMNASCAR LiveDaytonaFS1
221Fri6:30 PMNCWTS SetUpDaytonaFS1
221Fri7:30 PMNCWTS: NextEra Energy Resources 250DaytonaFS1
222Sat12:00 AMNSCS: Budweiser Duels at DaytonaDaytonaFS2
222Sat1:00 AMWendell Scott: A Race Story ESPNC
222Sat2:30 AMNASCAR Now ESPN2
222Sat9:00 AMNASCAR K&N Pro SeriesNew SmyrnaFS1
222Sat10:00 AMNSCS Final PracticeDaytonaFS1
222Sat12:00 PMNNS CountdownDaytonaESPN
222Sat1:15 PMNNS: DRIVE4COPD 300DaytonaESPN
222Sat5:00 PMThe Day: Daytona PrimetimeDaytonaFS2
222Sat6:00 PMReturn of the 3DaytonaFS2
222Sat7:00 PMFox Sports 1 on 1: Jimmie Johnson FS2
222Sat10:30 PMNSCS Final PracticeDaytonaFS2
222Sat11:00 PMReturn of the 3DaytonaFS1
223Sun3:30 AMNNS: DRIVE4COPD 300DaytonaESPN2
223Sun10:00 AMSportsCenter Special ESPN2
223Sun10:00 AMDaytona 500 Bash at the Beach FS1
223Sun11:00 AMNASCAR RaceDayDaytonaFS1
223Sun12:00 PMNSCS Pre-Race ShowDaytonaFOX
223Sun1:00 PMNSCS: Daytona 500DaytonaFOX
223Sun1:00 PMNSCS: Daytona 500DaytonaFOX Deportes
223Sun5:00 PMNASCAR Victory LaneDaytonaFS1
223Sun6:00 PMWendell Scott: A Race Story ESPNC
223Sun10:00 PMNASCAR Victory LaneDaytonaFS1
223Sun10:30 PMFox Sports 1 on 1: Jimmie Johnson FS1
224Mon4:00 PMNASCAR Race Hub FS1
224Mon5:00 PMNASCAR Race Hub FS2
224Mon5:00 PMNASCAR America NBCSN
224Mon9:00 PMNASCAR K&N Pro SeriesNew SmyrnaFS2
225Tues2:00 AMNASCAR Now ESPN2
225Tues11:00 AMNASCAR Race Hub FS1
225Tues5:00 PMFox Sports 1 on 1: Jimmie Johnson FS2
225Tue5:00 PMNASCAR America NBCSN
225Tues5:30 PMNASCAR Race Hub FS2
226Wed2:00 AMNASCAR Now ESPN2
226Wed12:00 PMNASCAR Race Hub FS1
226Wed1:00 PMFox Sports 1 on 1: Jimmie Johnson FS1
226Wed5:00 PMNASCAR Race Hub FS2
226Wed5:00 PMNASCAR America NBCSN
227Thurs2:00 AMNASCAR Now ESPN2
227Thurs11:00 AMNASCAR Race Hub FS1
227Thurs5:00 PMNASCAR Race Hub FS2
227Thu5:00 PMNASCAR America NBCSN
228Fri1:30 AMNASCAR Now ESPN2
228Fri12:30 PMFox Sports 1 on 1: Jimmie Johnson FS1
228Fri1:00 PMNNS PracticePhoenixFS1
228Fri2:00 PMNSCS PracticePhoenixFS1
228Fri3:30 PMFox Sports 1 on 1: Jimmie Johnson FS1
228Fri4:00 PMNASCAR Race Hub FS1
228Fri5:00 PMNNS PracticePhoenixFS1
228Fri6:30 PMNSCS Coors Light Pole QualifyingPhoenixFS1
228Fri8:00 PMNSCS Re-air: Daytona 500DaytonaFS1

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Denztoi wrote:
ComcastTeds., since this forum isn't resolving the issue at hand, post a link and contact to the appropriate person/department so it can be handled properly instead of wasting everyone's time with your responses please.

The right departments are certainly involved. Thanks for your feedback.  

We certainly realize that anything short of a post that says "Comcast is adding Fox Sports 2 in all areas on this date and your monthly cable bill won't go up" will not be a satisfactory answer for most.

Unfortunately, we don't have an expected date for an announcement for the Fox Sports 2 in additional Comcast areas.

I do know that our programming teams meet regularly with Fox on this and other topics. The conversations are ongoing.

Any possible addition of any new network would also most likely incur additional costs to Comcast that would be passed along to our customers. As mentioned above, those additional costs are one of the factors in considering adding adding any new network.

Generally, new networks want to be added to a very widely distributed level of service for the potential of the most eyeballs (ratings) and advertising revenue. That means that the costs are then spread across all of our customers who have this channel, not just to those who want to pay individually for that specific service or a Sports Package.   

The Comcast employees who participate in these forums certainly pass along any collective feedback, interests and concerns to our programming teams.

Apologies if I did not state that previously.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

10 years ago

@markdartj wrote:
I read the Variety article, and basically what I got from it is that sports programming in general are the only thing keeping providers afloat. So it makes sense to me that you provide more sports programming, instead of trying to blackball a network because suddenly you're afraid you'll have to raise our rates. That rings very hollow, since, as I've said earlier, you raise our rates all the time. What needs to be done is get rid of all the chaff in your programming and use your apparently limited resources to satisfy your customers. How many shopping networks do we need? Why do we need ESPNHD and ESPN2HD on four channels instead of just two? It's a safe bet to assume that more people would want FOX SPOTS 2 than Al-Jazeera. Do you understand what I'm saying? You are wasting resources.
You refuted your own statement that costs for new networks are borne by everyone subscribing to COMCAST, not just those who have the sports and entertainment package. Also you have not addressed the fact that if Comcast is so pressed for money, that any network added will have to be paid for by the customers, YET- you seem to have bucket loads of cash to buy out your competitors in order to become a monopoly. Shouldn't be a problem for you, since the head of the FCC Tom Wheeler, was formerly head of the number one lobby for the cable industry. No conflict of interest there? And where is all that money coming from? My guess is that ultimately we are paying for that endeavour.
Something else I gleaned from the article in Variety, is that for years you had a profit margin of around 75%, and that now your margin is shrinking "to a more reasonable size".
So then, I put it to you again: since you are always raising our rates anyway, and those with the "sports and entertainment" package will be the ones bering the cost , not everyone else; I see no valid reason for not providing your loyal customers, your "most preferred customers" (COMCAST'S words, not mine) with what they want. You need to sell sports programming to remain relevant, so do it! Then all this ugliness doesn't get drawn out for another six months; it goes away. I am sick and tired of getting nothing but apologies because without action, they're just insincere. It's just one channel for god's sake. LET US WATCH IT! We are not giving up like obedient sheep.

Ok, a lot going on above.

No network is being blackballed. Negotiations are ongoing. Our programming teams meet with networks all the time to work on deals and contracts that make the most sense for our customers and our business.   

It takes two parties to negotiate and come to an equitable agreement for carriage of any cable network.

Below is a quote from Mediacomm (a peer cable company), from early 2013 that I think helps illustrate the situation. 

“Contrary to accusations by industry critics, cable companies are reluctant to raise video subscriber rates because when we do, we lose customers. Mediacom does not make more money when we raise

video prices, since we remit virtually every penny of the increase on to the content owners. Over the last three years, the increase in our programming costs was more than double the increase in video revenues, even after taking our subscriber rate increases and equipment charges into account.”

I was concerned about your statement that Comcast “raise(s) rates all the time”. I reviewed your last year of cable statements and I see one month (June) where your account rolled out of a discounted promotional rate into the normal rate for our bundled video services. I also saw a slight increase in January on your bundled video services. I’m not sure that qualifies as “all the time”.

Shopping Networks usually have a revenue share with the video provider. Believe it or not, these shopping channels actually help offset your monthly video rates.

Having any channel mirrored on another display channel takes up no (zero) additional bandwidth – it is done as a courtesy to provide our customers with an easy way to locate some channels.

We don’t currently have an agreement to add Fox Sports 2 to any Sports Package, as much as we might want to.

Costs and customer feedback have a lot to do with any programming decision.

We understand your (and others) passion and desire to have this channel. We don't currently have any announcements to make regarding this specific service. 

Thanks for your feedback, it has certainly been heard and shared. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here