jillcam2969's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, November 20th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

Bristol County MA- no longer have WCVB!!

I was just informed that as of Dec 22nd, we will not have access to Channel 5 -WCVB and will be switched to WLNE ABC 6 in Providence.  This is absolutely crazy!!!  I have watched WCVB news for over 30 years, why in the heck would I want to watch a Providence news station??  I live in Massachusetts and want Massachusetts news!! Just because we are close to the RI border, does not make me a Rhode Islander. 

Actually, this is just the chance I have been waiting for to get off my butt and start looking at streaming options.  I am not paying over $200 a month, to have my favorite station being taken away.  Just so mad right now!!!!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Totally agree. Why can people on the Cape be able to see WCVB but viewers in Bristol county can not? The FCC viewing areas do not make sense. Comcast, work harder to come to an agreement with WCVB. I would gladly drop hundreds of the stations that I currently have access to and never watch. Access to local news and programming is important.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I wrote to the Department of Telecommunications, who called me back and said they're fighting to keep WCVB in Bristol County. She also suggested I write to the FCC, and our Senators Warren and Markey in Washington. I did all those things. FCC wrote back to say they have submitted my complaint to WCVB. Today I got a call from Comcast (Xfinity), who said they are still in negotiations with WCVB, and expect a positive agreement next week. She will call me back with the resolution. I suggest everyone do these things too, the more the better.

D Grout, Somerset, MA

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

It looks like the page explaining the channels being removed is no longer available, and I see that WCVB was removed from the list of TV stations (and I believe all the other Hearst-owned stations as well) that have expiring contracts with this month, so unless anyone has seen an official notice, I think we could be in the clear with this now?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2020/12/15/comcast-wcvb-massachusetts

It was just announced today tha that Comcast has reversed their decision and will continue to carry WCVB.  This came after pressure from Markey and Warren.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

That is good to hear, too bad it takes political pressure to do the right thing. It would be nice if the rules were changed and we we no longer considered part of RI

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

You would also think that carrying Boston channels in Bristol County could be how Comcast can entice people to stay subscribed to them here, considering no satellite providers or those online providers (YouTube TV I think or other things) carry Boston channels in Bristol County. It's the primary reason why I would keep Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

There are work arounds with YouTube TV that allow you to receive all of the Boston area channels in Bristol county (as I am currently doing). DM me for info. #SaveBostonChannels

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

To follow up on my report from earlier, I received a reply from Senator Markey saying he was successful in his fight to keep WCVB in our Comcast lineup in Bristol county. I'm so glad this all worked out!

Contributor

• 

387 Messages

3 years ago

@dogmum213 wrote:

To follow up on my report from earlier, I received a reply from Senator Markey saying he was successful in his fight to keep WCVB in our Comcast lineup in Bristol county. I'm so glad this all worked out!

It is normal every year contract negotiations across the country with major TV station owners. I doubt the Sen had anything to do with it but would be happy to take credit. Had the same issue here in Pa. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I'm no fan of Markey or Warren, but they do deserve some credit here.  The station was going to be dropped, and they pressured Comcast.  I really don't think we would have gotten the station back without it.  Markey in particular has been on telecomm issues for 30 years so he does have some cache with cable providers.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Our congressional reps did their job helping retain WCVB in Bristol County. Thanks to them.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

3 years ago

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here