Geri4's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, August 28th, 2019 12:00 PM

Closed

Altitude Sports

It is my understanding that Comcast is considering dropping the Altitude Sports Channel in the Denver area.  I sincerely hope you do not.   It is the absolute best station for watching the Denver Nuggets games, and other local sports.   No national broadcasters can compete with the knowledge and fun of Scott Hastings and Chris Marlow.  Sorry, but ESPN, and national channels just can't compete with inside info from local personnel.  I hope Comcast (Xfinity) understands that customers have limited dollars to spend on entertainment.  I recently signed up to extend service with Comcast for two years, with express discussion with the service agent that it included the Altitude Channel.  If you pull Altitude, you are clearly breaking the agreement we had.   

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

5 years ago

Xfinity, Dish, and Direct TV are in collusion to force Altitude Sports to either sign a terrible deal and lose money, or force them out of business. Altitude did offer to reduce their price, but obviously not enough as the 3 companies are trying to squeeze them to. Xfinity tries to to deflect and blame Altitude Sports but no one is buying that story. What's Xfinity's bogus excuse going to be to continue to charge subscribers $8 for Regional Sports coverage?

I've always resisted changing from Xfinity to a competitor, but as soon as someone else makes a deal with Altitude, I'll definitely consider it.

DON'T BLOCK MY ALTITUDE!!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Please resolve the Altitude Sports contract situation ASAP.  Altitude is the #1 reason I subscribe to comcast/xfinity for cable and without it, there's really not a reason for me to continue paying for it.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I am going to partially contradict my own original post. I’m sort of tired of getting kudos on the original post.

Blame for this rests with both parties. It is true Comcast won’t extend the same contract terms it provides to the networks it operates. We can have an anti-trust debate about that later.

Let’s also be clear that Keonke and Altitude are to blame as well. Their network is not as good, doesn’t have the variety of quality entertainment needed to draw large numbers of viewers outside the primary sports broadcasts.

It was Altitude that pulled the network. Comcast is actually making more money with it off the air, even considering the small number of people who may cancel. Altitude is in the weak spot for negotiating, and that is why they are running the add campaign.

Bottom line, we are all getting screw-ed over some really rich people having a childish argument over more money for them. Neither party really cares about the people posting on this forum.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This line tells you everything you need to know about Comcast:

"In this case, we removed Altitude from your programming package, because we no longer have permission from Altitude to carry it.  While this change won’t cause prices to go down on existing packages, it will help reduce the speed at which they go up."

Comcast says they made a "fair" offer because they care so much about their customers.  But despite saving all that money they won't pass a dime of that  onto their users, they'll just slow  the increases. 

Stop pretending this is about the customers.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

@AvsFan-95 wrote:
I am going to partially contradict my own original post. I’m sort of tired of getting kudos on the original post.

Blame for this rests with both parties. It is true Comcast won’t extend the same contract terms it provides to the networks it operates. We can have an anti-trust debate about that later.

Let’s also be clear that Keonke and Altitude are to blame as well. Their network is not as good, doesn’t have the variety of quality entertainment needed to draw large numbers of viewers outside the primary sports broadcasts.

It was Altitude that pulled the network. Comcast is actually making more money with it off the air, even considering the small number of people who may cancel. Altitude is in the weak spot for negotiating, and that is why they are running the add campaign.

Bottom line, we are all getting screw-ed over some really rich people having a childish argument over more money for them. Neither party really cares about the people posting on this forum.

What do you mean by "Altitude...pulled the network"?  You mean they didn't give Comcast permission to broadcast without paying them?  If so, that's a strange way of wording it (which both sides are guilty of).

Yes, it's childish.  Rich people fighting over pennies.  But at the end of the day, we are customers of Comcast, not altitude.  We can find fault all we want with Altitude, but its not them we are paying to deliver channels.  It's comcast.  They need to find a way to deliver the channels that were advertised when we signed up.  If Altitude were asking for some crazy fee increase instead of simply extending the status quo, I'd agree with you more.

As for leverage, you are correct. Altitude is in a terrible negotiating position.  That's why this has continued for so long and likely will continue for a while longer.  Doesn't mean that: A.  We should be satisfied with that, and B.  Comcast is no longer charging us.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

@wayninja wrote:

@AvsFan-95 wrote:

What do you mean by "Altitude...pulled the network"?  You mean they didn't give Comcast permission to broadcast without paying them?  If so, that's a strange way of wording it (which both sides are guilty of).

Yes, it's childish.  Rich people fighting over pennies.  But at the end of the day, we are customers of Comcast, not altitude.  We can find fault all we want with Altitude, but its not them we are paying to deliver channels.  It's comcast.  They need to find a way to deliver the channels that were advertised when we signed up.  If Altitude were asking for some crazy fee increase instead of simply extending the status quo, I'd agree with you more.

As for leverage, you are correct. Altitude is in a terrible negotiating position.  That's why this has continued for so long and likely will continue for a while longer.  Doesn't mean that: A.  We should be satisfied with that, and B.  Comcast is no longer charging us.

Altitude absolutely put themselves into an awful position by having contracts with the 3 most prominent providers in the area all expire at the same time.   If they were still available on DirectTV we likely wouldn't be seeing this fight with Comcast.  (DISH is another matter, they have a bunch of Fox Sports networks blocked too.)

I get that the regional sports networks charge more than the carriers might like.  What Comcast has to keep in mind is that in the land of DVRs and On Demand programming, sports is one of the few things that people will insist on watching live.  It's also one of the things people get really passionate about.

I'm sure Comcast is saving money seeing they don't have to pay Altitude yet still pass along that entire regions sports fee to it's customers.  I doubt there have been many cancellations yet.  I guess we'll see how things change once the regular seasons start for the Avs and Nuggets.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Comcast wanting to get a better deal w/ Altitude for its customers is laughable.  Get a deal done with them so that I can watch the Avs home opener on Thursday!

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

This needs to end.  Get it done.  

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I will be canceling my subscription to Comcast as a result

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Saying that you don’t have right to broadcast Altitude is not completely accurate. Comcast is refusing to pay a reasonable fee to Altitude so that they can broadcast their programming. Stop trying to make this Altitude’s problems and accept responsibility. Also, since you say that you care about my bill — wonderful!! Allow me to choose the exact channels I want. Stop grouping channels. Combat is one of the greediest companies I’ve ever done business with. Starting tomorrow I’ll be looking elsewhere for content as well as interns.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Avs season opener vs Flames is  7:00P tomorrow (10/3/19) and you are not negotiating in good faith with Altitude to broadcast all of Kronke's sports teams (Avs, Nugs, Mamoth, and Rapids) and local/regional sports.  ESPN just ranked all 32 NHL teams from a 'fun to watch' perspective, and the Avs came in at #4.  I am a huge hockey fan, Avs fan, and truly disappointed at not being able to watch the opener and the Avs other games for the forrseeable future.  As I am writing this, I also realize that I won't be able to see any of the DU hockey games, as they are on Altitude. That really stinks! Comcast is being disingenuous with the drivel that you are putting out about the dealings with Altitude. Saying that you don’t have right to broadcast Altitude is not accurate. Comcast is refusing to pay a reasonable fee to Altitude so that they can broadcast their programming.  ALtitude wants the same deal that it's had in the past. This is not unreasonable. Both the Avs and Nugs have good, young, and exciting teams to watch. Viewership will be on the upswing. Do a deal w/ Altitude or I'm looking elsewhere for data, TV, and VOIP.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

The Rockies aren't on Altitude TV. They're on AT&T Sportsnet, which Xfinity won't allow access to stream on the AT&T Sportsnet app. They have little care for customer needs. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Me too

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

DONT BLOCK MY AVS

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

PLEASE DON’T BLOCK MY AVS!!!!!!  Best sports on TV!!!!!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here