U

Friday, July 19th, 2024 11:14 PM

Upstream power too high!

My internet tends to drop out on hot afternoon and after quite a bit of effort (including a cable modem swap, which didn't help) it seems like the main problem is high upstream power levels (55.0 for channel 0 and several others, and the rest are 52 - 54). I've heard that this is something that needs to be addressed on Comcast's side unless I start experimenting with using different splitters in the house (and I'm not sure what I should be changing to...e.g. use lower or higher attentuation splitters).

What can I do to reduce them? The downstream power levels seem OK (3.0 - 4.3).

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

Upstream power levels should be below 50 dBmV, ideally below 45. Values above 50 mean there is too much attenuation between the modem or gateway and Comcast's equipment. This is often due to poor coax connections or damaged coax cable, usually in or near your home. Running the cable through a surge protector, a defective splitter, or too many splitters can cause this problem as well.

The best way to check the location of the problem, if possible, is to connect the modem or gateway directly to the line from Comcast where it enters the junction box outside your home. If that's not possible try connecting with known good coax as directly to their line as possible with as few splitters as possible. If the power level is much lower you have a problem somewhere in your home. If it's still too high, you'll need to have Comcast out to track down and fix the problem.

Please see Internet Troubleshooting Tips. If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast take care of it and an employee does not respond to your message here, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or use one of the options on https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/. It's not likely they can fix the problem remotely.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit (approx $100) unless you have their Service Protection Plan ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, closed to customers that don't already have it). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast rental device or anything outside your home you shouldn't be charged.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

2 months ago

Hey @user_jb17we, Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding the Xfinity Internet service. I would be more than happy to offer my assistance looking into this further for you.

We just wanted to check in and see if you were able to check the inside wiring. Things such as loose connections, hard bends/kinks, bite marks and more could cause an intermittent connection. Inside wiring should be thoroughly checked as it can be a root cause for an In-Home Service Fee.

Please let us know if you were able to discover anything and perform a quick Home Network test using the Xfinity App to see if you can go through a few troubleshooting steps with our Xfinity Assistant. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here