coles1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

Unusually high data usage megathread

Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

I'm afraid that I can't answer your questions, sorry. I'm not a CC employee.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

My issue happned 4 days ago, so the problem was not fixed apperantly. 

Contributor

• 

39 Messages

4 years ago

@EG wrote:

FWIW, this issue was supposedly fixed last month. 

The issue first started in September a little over 2 months ago.  The fact that Comcast has chosen not to fix it in that time period begs the question why?  Why do they choose to let it persist?  Why not own the problem and suspend the monthly usage cap until such time as it IS fixed? 

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

For comments about "it's your phone", check your phone data plan.  Is your phone using when you're on cellular?  If not, it's hard to say it's your phone.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Redbird14 wrote:

The issue first started in September a little over 2 months ago.  The fact that Comcast has chosen not to fix it in that time period begs the question why?  Why do they choose to let it persist?  Why not own the problem and suspend the monthly usage cap until such time as it IS fixed? 

Apparently this issue was addressed by a CC employee. See this post;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Unusually-high-data-usage-megathread/m-p/3278403/highlight/true#M310363

Contributor

• 

39 Messages

4 years ago

@EG wrote:

@Redbird14 wrote:

Apparently this issue was addressed by a CC employee. See this post;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Unusually-high-data-usage-megathread/m-p/3278403/highlight/true#M310363

The issue I'm raising is given that in 2 months time Comcast is unable (or unwilling) to fix the software glitch they should either suspend the monthly usage limit or, if possible, roll back the software to the version that was in place before all the trouble started.  That latter idea may not be viable.  I don't know Comcast's policies for archiving such software.

Perhaps unwittingly, but all that October 9 post from Comcast Ted did was add fuel to the fire by claiming "We fixed the technical issue" when clearly they didn't as evidenced by the numerous posts on this thread since October 9 from customers experiencing the inflated usage reports.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

4 years ago

@karineh426 wrote:

We also are tracking at incredibly high data usage and have no idea why. If I call Comcast, are they actually able to help or would that just be a waste of my time?

Can't hurt.  What would help more is installing a firewall that logs every packet, disabling wifi on your router, installing a different wifi router on the inside of your lan and dumping all xfinity equipment.  Use streaming devices instead.

Then you would know what you're actually using, and have a better case for disputes.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

We also are tracking at incredibly high data usage and have no idea why. If I call Comcast, are they actually able to help or would that just be a waste of my time?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

We just got Xfinity internet in Sept. We tracked at 800GB in Sept, 1.3 TB in Oct (1st courtesy month overage), and are on track to exceed the 1TB cap this month as well. 

My husband says there is no way we are using that much data but I cant find any detail in our account, only the monthly total to date.

How can I get more info and - as it appears that the issue has been supposedly resolved for most accounts - how can I figure out if my account is tracking correctly or not?

TIA.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

4 years ago

We are curous to know if any other customers have experiened this same issue.

We have been Comcast customer for 18 years. Our bills for home wifi (data) have always been consistent. Our data useage as been the same every month. Then on October 1, we switched our cellphone service from Verizon to Xfinity. (Much cheaper.) Suddenly our home data usage quadrupled. We went from around 300 MBs a month to 1300MB in one month.

We called Comcast to discuss. No one could help. Requested to speak to supervisor. Said there was not one working that day. Then we were told to call Comcast Security. We did. Again, no one could help us. The poor young man could not speak English and could only read from the prepared dialog. Asked to speak to supervior. Again told that they would have to check. Didn't know if one was on duty.

So, we went to the Comcast/Xfinity store and talked to them. They are just as baffled as we are. Nothing has changed. Same equipment. Same service. Same everything.

However, just to be sure, we changed passwords on anything that connects to the router.

Meanwhile, our data useage is excessively high again this month. And we can do nothing about it.

Has anyone here expereinced the same issues? Any suggestions of what we might be experiencing?

We appreciate your assistance.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

According to the data meter my house has used 2.7TB of data, including an insane 1TB in a single 24 hour period on 11/18. Prior to October, when I was offered a speed upgrade, I have always been below 700GB a month. Since upgrading We have seen huge spikes daily, 100GB, 300GB, 500GB and now 1TB. I have made multiple phone calls where I’ve been asked if I know that streaming and video games use a lot of data.... There have been no device or usage changes in my house other than the modem to take advantage of the upgraded speed. I’m am literally pulling my hair out trying to track down the data use on my network. All of my PCs have been checked for viruses/malware/etc. and my router is showing about 10-13GB used by the devices connected. I am disconnecting my modem tonight and will check the data usage on Comcast’s meter Thursday morning before reconnecting. From there I guess I’ll reconnect a device daily to find if the data usage culprit is real or imagined by this stupid meter. Don’t know why I expected Comcast to help me find anything since they just want me to pony up an extra $50 monthly...

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Yep. We were using our own router. We had to get a Xfinity router and switch to unlimited data to solve it.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you so much for the response. You are kidding. Isn't that extortion? Honestly, they are going to get you one way or another. I knew the cellphone service was too good to be true.

We are not done with this yet. If anyone reading this is having, or has had, the same issue, please respond. We are interested in knowing just how many people have experienced this.

We are not happy.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the links and offer support. This has been an horrific experience. We feel so violated by Comcast. They have done nothing to help us. Meanwhile, they act clueless to any issues that they have had, or are continuing to have.

Appreciate your time and willingness to help.

Enjoy your day.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I hear you @Freemans723, my average use for the year is around 300Gb per month, and they want me to belive I was able to use 900Gb in "one day" with me being out of the house almost all day. As you said, after you fork the $50 a month they'll have no incentive to figure out what is going on. Even if I was streaming 24/7 4K videos I wouldn't get to 900Gb. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here