D

Thursday, March 7th, 2024 5:39 PM

Same issue. VPN disconnects from WiFi on work computer

Hello,

iv have had the same issue posted on this thread. My VPN constantly disconnects when working on my computer…. I notice this because I only need to connect to the von when working on my work computers the connection is very strong (600mbps or more) and IT has determined it is not the VPN after many tests. There a Xfinity related issue that I do not know how to solve. Can someone please sheds some light on this

Official Employee

• 

265 Messages

6 months ago

Have you edited your PC's network adapters to use public DNS servers like 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8?

Do you lose all internet connectivity or just connectivity with the VPN?

Have you tried to hardwire directly to the modem and see if the issue replicates?

2 Messages

This issue keeps happening to me. I have tried an ethernet cord from modem to desktop but that is not working either. Extremely inconvenient. MY IT department said to ask Xfinity if there is a modem that comes into my building and than splits into the units. Is there a master controller reboot a potential solution???? There's a hiccup in my service

3 Messages

6 months ago

I have been having the same issue as well, My xfinity modem is an XB7 with firmware TG4482PC2_6.3p15s1_PROD_sey.

All of my other devices that are connected to the xfinity modem that are hardwired or using wifi (not using vpn) work perfectly and there is no issues. I only run into frequent disconnects when using my work pc which is connected to an aruba remote access point which is what is handling the vpn connection. My company’s IT has troubleshooted the issue over several days and has even tried replaced everything (computer, cables, access point) but nothing seems to work. I have also tried Port forwarding all vpn IPsec related ports to the Aruba RAP (500,4500,1701) in both tcp and udp. (Did this on the xfinity modem)

Disabling advanced security in xfinity modem.

Dropped firewall level to custom in xfinity modem (nothing checked). None of this has helped, The vpn connection still continues to drop about 10+ times an hour making it impossible for me to work.

My company’s IT told me that this seems to be an issue with my isp since they have determined that I am Experiencing IPSec packet loss. I have also narrowed this issue down by taking my whole work setup to another home that uses a different isp for internet (blue stream) and I did not experience any disconnects while working from there using the same setup. I am really trying to make this work with my xfinity internet but I may just have to switch Internet providers if I can’t find a permanent solution.

Official Employee

• 

376 Messages

Hello @Jimmyjg15! I apologize that you have been experiencing issues with your internet connection when using a VPN. While these steps may seem basic, have you tried disconnecting the coaxial cable from your modem and unplugging the power cord from its power source for about 1 minute and then reconnecting everything, and trying to connect to your VPN after that to see if you still experience the issue? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

3 Messages

Hi, Yes I have unplugged the coaxial cable and unplugged the power several times and left them unplugged for over a minute but that doesn’t fix the issue. Is there anything that Comcast can check on their end ? Maybe logs?

My companies I.T told me this is called IPsec packet loss and it’s only an issue when using the vpn which I need to connect to for work.

When I’m not working and using the internet normally (without vpn) everything works perfectly fine, I have good speeds and no disconnects.

Official Employee

• 

376 Messages

I can certainly look into this further, @Jimmyjg15! Please send us a direct message with your first/last name and full address. You can start by clicking the "direct message" icon on the upper right page of the forum page. Once you click on that, input our shared handle "Xfinity Support" to send us a direct message. If you're signed in to your forums profile and because you have already posted to the public page, you should have the option to do so.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

Having the same issue.  I may need to switch now to Verizon.  I honestly can’t work from home.  I need to use VPN for everything and drop every few seconds. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Is your VPN connected to a certain server provided to you by your employer, and, is there another you can toggle to see if it helps, user_ffiogc?

1 Message

6 months ago

Same issue here as well -- VPN service dropped and cannot reconnect. Company IT has said as of this morning they have six clients calling with the same issue all using xfinity and not being able to access their companies VPN servers. Please fix or we will all have to find new isp's!

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_1eqhfm Thank you for reaching out via our Xfinity Community Forums. I work from home too, so I understand that I need a strong connection while working and using a VPN, and would be happy to troubleshoot with you. How long have you been having this issue? 

3 Messages

6 months ago

To whomever this may help,

I finally got my issue fixed, I'm not quite sure what exactly fixed it but I did what XfinityXanadu suggested and used public DNS servers so I decided to try out the CloudFlare DNS servers which would be 1.1.1.1 for Primary DNS and 1.0.0.1 for Secondary DNS. I could not edit the DNS servers on my work pc network adapter since its locked down and requires an admin account to access and edit network adapters so instead I connected a 3rd party router that I had to the main comcast modem and modified the DNS entries on the 3rd party router since the DNS entries on the comcast modems are static and cannot be changed (I went in and tried changing it but it is greyed out and does not let you edit the DNS). I connected my work pc to the 3rd party router and now I no longer have any issues when I'm on VPN for work, I have a good connection and I am no longer experiencing the frequent disconnect while working on VPN from home. The reason I say I'm not sure what fixed it is because maybe just using the 3rd party router did the trick or if it was both the 3rd Party router and editing the DNS, Another thing to note is that both my comcast modem and the 3rd party router have DHCP enabled but since my work pc is hardwired into the 3rd party router its obtaining its ip address from the 3rd party router and not the comcast modem. I didn't want to further troubleshoot to see exactly what fixed it and mess up something I struggled so hard to fix. I hope this helps someone because I almost lost my job because of this. Comcast/Xfinity really needs to address this issue and pinpoint what exactly is causing so much trouble when using a VPN. Many of us work from home and we need a permanent solution for this issue and not a Band-Aid fix.

5 months ago

Same issue here. 

Connection to work vpn had worked for over 4 years then last week just stopped connecting.

I can connect to work vpn with phone Hotspot and any other network besides my home network. 

Called xfinity over the last week and they have been zero help. They say is my works vpn configuration causing the issue. 

I switched my 3rd party router from access point mode to router mode then put xfinity modem in bridge mode. This fixed my issue for two days then same issue happened.

I reset xfinity modem again then changed default DNS to 8.8.8.8 on my 3rd party router and confirmed xfinitys standard defaut gateway was not being used. I have connection again. Let's see if that lasts more than 2 days.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hey there Greyson_og0dv5 are you still having issues at this time? Are team is happy to lend a hand and see what is going on. 

1 Message

I am also having this issue. Could I possibly get some assistance?

Official Employee

• 

826 Messages

aubz_lee Have you tried the suggestion that worked for a user on this thread? Let us know if that works. 

4 Messages

4 months ago

I am having this same issue starting a few weeks ago. I am looking for a new Internet provider because I do not have this issue using my work laptop as at other people's houses that do not use Xfinity.

4 Messages

To update the group, after others in my company working from home also using Xfinity reported the same issue, our org's IT team did comprehensive research and informed us the issue is with Xfinity and we would need to change ISPs to continue working from home. Just wanted to share as this was affecting the work of several members of our team!

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi @user_ikbn06

I appreciate you giving us updates on your experience. I haven't seen any known issues with VPN access being reported nationwide. That said, I see many here have been affected. Do you know what troubleshooting they did on their end to come to this decision? Have we created a ticket for you since you first reported this?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 months ago

I am having the same issue with only my VPN dropping after Xfinity was out doing work in our neighborhood since Friday. I can connect to my VPN just fine with my mobile hotspot but not via Xfinity’s WiFi. 

Official Employee

• 

837 Messages

JCP2410 Sorry to hear that this is causing some trouble for you as well. Can you please provide any troubleshooting you've already tried?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityThomasD​ Thank you for reaching out. It appears I resolved my own issues. For others following this thread… 

CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR MODEM CAN HANDLE THE RECENT XFINITY UPGRADES & IF NOT GET A NEW ONE (i.e., if they increase their speed, etc your modem may still work but the drops and disconnects may be due to the fact that your modem can’t handle the capacity).

HISTORY

My personal devices had no issues except my MacBook with connectivity and my work laptop was awful when I tried to make conference calls; constantly dropping. Constant internet disconnecting. 

XFINITY was in our neighborhood for a week prior to my issues doing upgrades, we were told.

ACTIONS TAKEN

• I looked on my Xfinity “devices” page and I noticed that my account showed the following: 

ARRIS T25

Cable Modem with Voice

Incompatible based on filters <- this is what concerned me 

• did a plethora of troubleshooting & nothingggg fixed the issue

• Was issued a brand new laptop from my job and was still a problem 

Well, we do not pay for XFINITY’s awful modem any longer. It caused us issues for years and we were told it wasn’t strong enough for our house to support all the devices so we should get our own modem and google mesh system and BOOM… it’s been amazing. 

Fast forward to over a month ago when they began doing whatever upgrades, our existing modem was compatible buttttt the note above said it’s now incompatible based on filters. 

RESOLUTION

I went to Best Buy and got the Arris G36 model which is another recommendation for XFINITY users because it’s able to handle faster upload and download speeds and BOOM again… no issues. No dropping of calls. No dropping of internet. We saw a decrease in our account because it’s $300 :-| but it’s working perfectly.

So my understanding is that when XFINITY is doing upgrades and increasing their speed, etc we need to move with it and ensure our devices are fast enough to handle it or we will exhibit the same issues with dropping, etc. 

Check your modem… because what was once compatible, may not be any longer. 

1 Message

3 months ago

Many people in my org who use Comcast recently started to open tickets about VPN drops. When they switch to a mobile hotspot or use a different WiFi network they have no drops. Is Comcast doing something about this problem?

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hello Yagami_L, dropped connections are never fun to deal with, but I can help with any issues you're having. Are you only experiencing a dropped connection when connected via VPN? If so, are you able to test your home network without being connected to your VPN? 

4 Messages

3 months ago

I am having the same issue as well. I would say the disconnect and reconnect started a couple months ago but has progressively gotten worse. Sometimes my work VPN disconnects and reconnects every 10 minutes. I restarted my modem and am now on a new laptop and the same issue keeps happening. We also upgraded our service to make sure we had enough WiFi power to keep up with the household demand and me working from home so this should not be happening. What is the resolution for this issue?  None of my other devices have disconnection issues but it doesn’t seem to support my works VPN anymore. Xfinity, Please help me get this fixed. I’ve done all the suggestions with no resolution. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us @user_5q6y1f, are you able to connect your work computer directly to the modem using an ethernet cable to confirm if this happens on hardwired connections too?

2 Messages

I've been having the same issue and it's very frustrating.  It's even impacting my online meetings.  Xfinity needs to figure this out.  You're going to lose a lot of business.

4 Messages

@XfinityAldrik​ no I don’t have an Ethernet cable. I called Xfinity and they sent me a new Modem. Today was day 2 of the new modem and I have not noticed my work VPN disconnecting. I am hoping it stays that way. 

thank you for replying. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for getting back to us on this @user_5q6y1f! I’m glad to hear the VPN has stopped disconnecting after setting up a new modem!

3 Messages

@user_5q6y1f​  What modem did they send you?  I went from an old black tower type XFI wireless gateway to a white box XB7 and went from having no issues with the old modem, to issues every  couple of minutes.  Xfinity better get a permanent fix without people needing their own equipment or they are going to lose a lot of customers.  Similar to what others are saying, the only folks in my organization that have issues are the Xfinity users.  Super frustrating and very disappointing.

Xfinity - We pay you tons of money every month for this critical service...  Please get a fix that works!

1 Message

2 months ago

I have been experiencing this issue as well, all day long the VPN disconnects, logs me out of work and I have to log back in to everything, only for it to drop again, ridiculous.  I am going to have to speed up my moving plans so I have better internet options, very frustrating!

4 Messages

My work sent me a new laptop and that didn’t solve any so I called Xfinity and requested a new Modem at my work’s request. Xfinity sent me a new one with no hassle and so far (day 2 of new modem) I have not disconnected from the VPN. I suggest calling Xfinity and see if they can send you a new Modem too. 

4 Messages

@user_szjk7d​ My work sent me a new laptop and that didn’t solve any so I called Xfinity and requested a new Modem at my work’s request. Xfinity sent me a new one with no hassle and so far (day 2 of new modem) I have not disconnected from the VPN. I suggest calling Xfinity and see if they can send you a new Modem too. 

Official Employee

• 

756 Messages

user_szjk7d Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

3 Messages

@user_5q6y1f​  What modem did they send you?

1 Message

2 months ago

I too have been experiencing these exact issues. I have a work laptop connected to wifi and VPN is disconnecting/reconnecting multiple times an hour throughout the work day. It started doing it occasionally and has progressively gotten worse over the past several weeks if I had to guess. Yesterday, I connected my laptop to my modem via an ethernet cable. In my short test yesterday (a couple of hours) it worked well.  If connecting with an ethernet cable helps, does it mean a new modem would not help resolve this issue? I can't have ethernet cables running throughout my home to my modem so I am looking for a solution to use wifi for my work laptop and not have VPN disconnecting constantly. On a side note, I do think I need a new modem regardless as I have been having unrelated issues with other wifi connections, e.g., home PC, Roku, etc., but no issues with our cell phones.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

@user_yqtbs6 I always use a VPN as well! Seems like a necessity when working from home nowadays. When VPN connects, Internet is disconnected – this is one of the top concerns among users of VPNs. If you lose Internet connection after connecting to VPN or while using your VPN you may need to change the server you are connecting with. I used to have connections issues all the time until I changed the settings within my VPN. Have you spoken with your IT department about you losing connection with the current server you are connecting to while using your VPN? 

2 Messages

2 months ago

I have the same issue as above. Xfinity I need help desperately. My IT department gave me some questions to ask about to. Everything else in my home works well other an my work desktop, The VPN drops several times an hour and an ethernet cord has been just as worse. Can someone from Xfinity please contact me. It's extremely frustrating as I work for a remote company. 

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

@user_p9zop6

I want to make sure we are respecting your time and not repeat the steps you have taken previously. What additional troubleshooting steps have you taken? 

I also wanted to make sure you are aware that any time you need to troubleshoot our Xfinity app can assist you step by step. It is not just to pay your bill or to get notifications about interruptions. To learn how to troubleshoot in the future you can follow the link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-app. Honestly, it is the best app to date that we offer and super easy to use for all of your account needs!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

Same problem with VPN here.  I've spent hours with Xfinity tech support (which has been absolutely infuriating and not helpful).   They love to collect a lot of data, but provide no useful information and resolving this problem. 

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

threeducks Thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding your ongoing issues with your VPN. We definitely want to get to the bottom of this issue for you. What troubleshooting steps have you tried already?

1 Message

2 months ago

I have been having this issue for about a month.  I am a hybrid employee and I have had to go into the office to work because working from home takes twice as long due to this issue and the benefit of working from home has gone right out the door!  I have had tried all the troubleshooting that everyone else has tried and our IT department has tried several things as well and it continues.  xfinity needs to reimburse me for my internet that is not working, gas for having to go into the office and pay me OT for the extra time I have had to work.  Please get this resolved!! 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Have you tried connecting your work computer directly to your modem rather than connecting over Wi-Fi, user_34fw5l?

4 Messages

Hi everyone, after going through all the troubleshooting steps with the Xfinity help team by phone, Xfinity online chat, and my company's IT dept, they were not able to help resolve the issue. I had to move to a new ISP. It turns out that was the solution, as I no longer experience the issue! Since I left Xfinity I have not had one issue with the connection dropping! It's too bad, as I actually liked Xfinity service otherwise and the price was better.

(edited)

3 Messages

I just went from an older black tower modem, one of the models that started with DPC, that predate the XFI modems and had virtually zero issues (probably none) while logging onto my companies VPN  from home over the past 3.5 years - I work fully remote.  I "updated" to the XB7 since they sent me one thinking "this is great, new updated modem"...  We'll, since doing so I've not been able to keep a VPN connection for over 10-15 minutes tops and according to Xfinity Tech Support over the phone, they are saying the issue must be with my work's VPN.  Odd because I never had any issues before switching to the new modem and none of my coworkers who have other ISPs have any issues, yet the other person on my team who has the same service and modem has had these issues for going on 1.5-2 years now and can no longer work remotely because according to Xfinity - everything is perfect from their end.

I'm beyond frustrated.  I have a service tech coming in a couple of days...  I sure hope they have an older modem or can figure it out.  Based on all the issues I'm seeing everyone else have, doesn't sound promising and I sure don't want to buy my own router and have to configure it all myself because Xfinity can't find a viable solution.  Please Xfinity, find a solution so you don't lose any more customers.

I'm fine paying a bit more for internet/cable to stay with Xfinity - I like the service a lot, but this is ridiculous.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hello @user_jvqyp0, I can only imagine what you've been going through since you rely on your service for work. I'd love to help more with this, but I say you mentioned you had a tech visit scheduled. Was that appointment completed? If so, what did the tech advise? 

1 Message

1 month ago

Facing same issue any leads on this

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Thanks for reaching out, user_yzm46e! Have you had any luck with this at all since this post?

1 Message

Xfinity just replaced my modem two weeks ago and now I have this problem. This is ridiculous considering the money I'm paying and the apparent amount of customers affected. My previous modem supplied by Xfinity was working great and then during a storm it shut down and wasn't the same since. Xfinity tech came and replaced it with a newer modem and now I'm constantly having VPN disconnects throughout my work day. Ya'll need to figure this out ASAP or I'll be switching to another ISP that can supply me with a modem that is compatible with a Cisco VPN.

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

Hey there, Fc7341, thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding your connection issues. I know how important it is to have a solid connection for work as I rely on my internet too! We would be happy to take a look at your signals on our end to ensure everything is working properly for you! 

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there
- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list
- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it.

1 Message

@user_yzm46e​ 

I've had this issue, and the only solution was to purchase and connect my own router to the xfinity modem.  Place their modem in bridge mode then connect your own router.  Issue resolved this way.  I've tried reaching out to xfinity many times with no resolution.  This is the quickest and most straight forward way to get back connected.

Regards

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

user_cmg43, Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide a solution that worked for you. We’re sorry to hear that you had difficulty resolving the issue with us directly, and we understand how frustrating that must have been. Your suggestion of using bridge mode and a personal router is valuable, and we’ll definitely pass this along to our team to help improve our support. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We're here to help!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here