S

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, July 2nd, 2022 1:23 PM

Closed

Paying for 600Mbps, receiving 300Mbps as per Xfinity's own pages.

I upgraded from Fast to Superfast on 6/21. I did see uptick of the upload speed pretty much immediately... however, to this day, my download speed is capped at 300Mbps. I even ran the Xfinity speed test, and after the test, the page says:

To Xfinity and Beyond!

You're getting all of your 300 Mbps and then some. Need more speed? You'll need to boost your plan.

Yes, I copied and pasted the text. You have already charged me for 10 days' worth of speed I am not getting. This is neither a modem issue (1.4Gbps capable) nor a network issue (Gigabit Ethernet - all connections are wired). All the speed tests I have tried have been VERY consistently just over 300mbps (315-350, depending on the test; Xfinity's clocks in around 320-325) which indicates network congestion is not the issue, either. I double-checked my account, Superfast is selected, still promising 600Mbps. The chat assistant lists the plan at 300Mbps... and of course, there is no way for me to get through to an actual person to resolve this on there. Can you please fix this?

Official Employee

• 

746 Messages

2 years ago

Hi, thank you for reaching out to the Xfinity Forums. We would like to look into your speed concern. I understand you upgraded your speed on 6/21. Have we troubleshot your modem since the upgrade? 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityAshley​ yes, multiple times. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem, however, as I have already listed above. The modem is a NETGEAR CM700.
The data usage overview page lists my plan as:

Internet Plan: Blast! Internet
Download Speed: 300Mbps
Upload Speed: 10Mbps

The overview page lists my plan as (and I am getting charged for):

Superfast Plan

Download speeds: up to 600 Mbps

Upload speeds: up to 20 Mbps

The actual speed I'm getting is 300Mbps down/20(25-ish, actually) Mbps up.

Problem Solver

• 

411 Messages

Is that on a wireless connection or a wired connection? And what kind of device is that on? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

It is not very encouraging when questions I have explicitly provided an answer to already are being asked. Please refer to the bolded parts below.

Yes, I copied and pasted the text. You have already charged me for 10 days' worth of speed I am not getting. This is neither a modem issue (1.4Gbps capable) nor a network issue (Gigabit Ethernet - all connections are wired). All the speed tests I have tried have been VERY consistently just over 300mbps (315-350, depending on the test; Xfinity's clocks in around 320-325) which indicates network congestion is not the issue, either.

The only correction I will make to the above is that after some more research I found the modem in question is apparently certified for only 800mpbs with Comcast... which is still leaving a good amount of headroom for a 600mbps plan. As for which device...

@XfinityAshley​ yes, multiple times. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem, however, as I have already listed above. The modem is a NETGEAR CM700.
The data usage overview page lists my plan as:

This modem sports a single ethernet port that connects to my gigabit router. All cables are Cat6, and all connection status indicators show gigabit throughput active.

I just tested the speed again using the Xfinity speed test. Got a range of 315.5-320.1 over 5 tests. Considering what speed result I provided in my prior post, this indicates the speed is VERY stable at this limit, pointing to neither congestion nor signal degradation. By all indications, it appears you have failed to modify the speed cap from 300mbps to 600mpbs.

It has been nearly a month now; you are still charging me for a 600mpbs service I have never received.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

735 Messages

Good afternoon! Thank you for providing us with as many details as possible, so we can give you the best support possible. In this case, I would say that checking the internet bootfile to be sure your recent upgrade went through is a wise next step. Personally, I’d also like to have your signals up in front of us as we work as well. Can you go ahead and send us a direct message, so we can take a closer look, please?

Here's the detailed steps to Direct Message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message

I no longer work for Comcast. 

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

2 years ago

The lack of improved download after upgrading and speed test saying you have 300 may be separate issues or perhaps my problem extends farther for other people that it does for me.  There's something not right with Comcast's systems updating speed test and a few other things.  I have "gigabit extra" and get about 1420/40 on a 1200/35 plan, but speed test thinks I have 150 down.  150 is the speed I had when I first signed up in 2017.

Do you have any performance problems other than lower that expected speeds?  Usually you'd see instability, packet loss, timeouts, web pages failing to load, etc. if you were at half speed due to a problem with the line, etc.  If you're at half speed due to being erroneously provisioned at half speed typically everything will work perfectly but at half the speed you're supposed to be getting.

Usually we'd ask you to post your modem/router/gateway signal stats and error log, but signal issues tend to result in an inconsistent speed. See this post for details:  https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/internet-troubleshooting-tips/602dae4ac5375f08cde52ea0  Go ahead and post them anyway, but they probably won't help.  If you post error logs be sure to redact any MAC (such as CM-MAC) addresses and routable IP addresses.  The forum considers them private personal information and will block posts including them.  Also it's best to copy and paste rather than posting screen shots.  The forum does quite well with copied and pasted tables and they tend to be a lot easier to read than screen shots.

Are you near a Comcast store?  Usually I find a personal visit to a Comcast store is the most efficient way of getting a "settings" issue sorted out, and it really sounds like your problem is your speed isn't set right.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

The de-provisioned your account back to the 300 plan. It's happened to me twice now, but they try to blame it on the fact that you are using your own modem as to not admit their mistake!

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

2 years ago

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. The original poster has not returned. 3-month-old dead thread is now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here