SJ00884's profile

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, December 18th, 2021 10:26 PM

Closed

New Xfi Advanced router dropouts

Ever since upgrading from Xfi router to the new gig XFi advanced router, I have one device out of many that regularly experiences intermittent dropouts where disconnect/connect results in immediate resolution. Happens quite often and both the device firmware was checked and rechecked, the adapter was reset and even replaced to no avail. No other devices experience this issue out of a wide range of devices; tablets, phones, printers, streamers, etc.

Thoughts appreciated.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

946 Messages

2 years ago

Hey @user_d5b7b1, thank you for reaching out on our forums. Intermittent connections can sure get annoying fast and I can definitely help. Since it is only happening to the one device, it sounds like a communication issue between that device and the new router. The main difference between the routers is the WiFi 6 or 802.11AX on the new one. Some older network cards can have problems connecting with the WiFi 6. What you could do to test that theory is name the WiFi bands separately in the xFi app temporarily to test if the drops stop on the 2.4 ghz band as it doesn't use the WiFi 6. Keep in mind doing this does stop the router from switching you automatically to the best band for the device.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityNicolas Interesting. I  did not try the SSID recommendation, but I did connect a NetGear Nighhawk router via ethernet where there has not been a single dropout. That was 4 days ago so I believe your point is proven. It figures the even older devices aren't affected since they are wireless N and only 2.4 GHz capable. Only this device is AC and dual band., Interesting none of the plethora of Apple devices have been impacted. 

Thanks for the diagnosis. 

Official Employee

• 

923 Messages

I am glad to hear that so far that fix is working for you. There are different things that can be at hand depending on the device. If further issues pop up, I would recommend the separate bands and see if that makes a difference. I have a device in my home that I have to keep the bands separate or it will not connect properly and sometimes that happens. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Another solution is to change the adapter settings under Advanced to be 2.4 GHz A, B, G, N and 2.4 GHz as preferred.  That seems to do the trick as well. I believe separate bands will perturb XFi pod operation if utilized.  

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

i reset modem at least 100 times then went to xfinity store and swapped out xf1 modem and the new one still does the same. my speed runs from 0.9 to 12 6. i think my problem is in the cable.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here