U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, December 12th, 2022 2:25 AM

Closed

New modem installation

I'm just curious, I just bought a new Motorola modem which is pitched by Xfinity to replace my older Surfboard. Is there any need for me to do anything other than hooking it up? It's just a network bridge (physical net-to-physical net) so there's not much to do. I get you might need to do some new provisioning. Is that it? I don't want to be down for any period installing it. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

105.6K Messages

2 years ago

Connect it to the coax line and power it up. Let it fully sync up with the system, and check that the front / top panel indicator light(s) are steadily lit. 

Then connect a computer to it and open up a browser. You *may* see their *Walled Garden* modem self-registration page. If so, follow the screen prompts. Have your mobile telephone number, your Xfinity username and password, or the account number and telephone number associated with your Comcast account handy.

If not, try calling 1-855-652-3446. That is their self-install device activation line.

If that doesn't work for you, you can call 1-800-comcast and tell a rep that you would like to have a new modem provisioned for service. Have the RF / CM / HFC MAC address and the serial number of it handy when you call.

There is also the option of using their Xfinity App for activating modems;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-app-activation?linkId=161715244 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@EG​ Thank you for your post. I was able to plug it in, power it up, and activate it with the mobile app. I do have a follow-up question about increased bandwidth that might be coming. Is it going to use full DOCSIS 3.1 support at some point?

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

2 years ago

@user_40a2ed Thank you so much for your post on setting up your new modem! To make the swap over and to ensure the modem is registered to your account correctly for support, and you have the correct speed information you can use the Xfinity app to activate your new device. With the Xfinity app, it only takes a few moments to enter the needed information and get you on your way with the new modem! You can check out this link here for the steps you will need to get ready and make sure you have everything you need to get set up! https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-app-activation 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I have tried the same procedure without success. In my case I tried an Arris S33, a replacement S33, and a Netgear CM1000. All purchased new in the last two weeks and all activated through the Xfinity app or by support when the app wasn't cooperating. I've spent many hours on the phone with Xfinity, Arris, and Netgear. Had two on-site visits from Xfinity support and I've run out of a path to escalate. I don't believe all three modems were bad but after activation I lose connectivity with the modem. Using a directly connected laptop I see that I no longer have an IP nor DNS information after system activation. The second tech left me with an Xfinity modem/WiFi which will work but I continue to want my own modem and router setup. My previous modem was a nine year old Comcast that apparently became obsolete to the system. Any ideas? I would really like to solve this puzzle.

Official Employee

• 

933 Messages

@user_8f12c4 Do you notice any damage or bends/kinks in the coax line leading up to the modem? Is there a splitter connected by chance? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

No damage found, no kinks. A splitter is used outside between two legs going into the house. It is tight and well sealed. I've chosen the shortest, simplest leg to use. No other devices connected to the coax. Two techs have verified a good signal is coming in to the modem.  And, unrelated, I could not make this reply using Chrome ?  I had to use another browser (Safari). Chrome recently updated. I have a Netgear tech ready to try troubleshooting again. After review, he thinks I'm not getting a proper provisioning to the modem.

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

Thank you for checking the wiring and letting us know about the results from the 2 visits. I am sorry this issue has continued and am glad to help with it. On the directly connected laptop, after activating your modem, have you tried to Release and Renew the IP Address?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

I'm happy to report that I am online with blazing speed. The release and renew was not the answer. I ended up purchasing a new Xfinity supported high end Netgear cable modem. Followed all the steps to the letter and it worked. I can say that previously I did follow the steps and had help going through the process many times but this modem worked where three others didn't. Yesterday and today's path was fraught with other obstacles and I'll chalk it up to Xfinity growing pains. Support systems don't always work, employees don't have all the answers-especially when things are changing, but persistence and the collective help pays off. I'm now a believer in these forums, if all they do is give you the energy to try the next thing, it keeps you moving ahead. Thanks to all who helped - on the forum, on the phone, in the chat, in the store, and on-site.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here