U

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, May 23rd, 2023 3:03 PM

Closed

I have two gateways. You have sent me one replacement gateway. To install do I disconnect both until new install complete

I have two gateways. You have sent me one replacement gateway. To install do I disconnect both until new install complete.  Will the both old and new gateways be recognized on startup?

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

1 year ago

@user_2a905b. Thank you for reaching out to the Digital Care Team. If you received a replacement, you will want to set up the new one and return the old one to a UPS or Xfinity store. 

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@XfinityHeather​ Thank you for responding. Sadly, your response does not address the concerns articulated in my post.  Can you, as part of the tech team answer my questions?

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

@user_2a905b. Once the replacement modem is activated, the old one will no longer be useable. Only one modem can be active at a time. Did that clear up the confusion? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

I have TWO gateways. Twice in the past, after replacing one of the gateways, the second one lost contact, followed by loss of phone service and back and forth for a day.  I would very much like that NOT to happen.

So: No you didn't clear things up

I understand that when I disconnect one gateway and replace it with the one new gateway you have sent me, that when the new one is installed in its place, hopefully it will be recognized and activated

Again I have two gateways active in my home (second floor and basement - both deliver internet and wifi while the basement ALSO delivers two line phone service) the basement (with phone service) is the one your replacement is sent to replace (using the email containing the SS# to be replaced)

In this situation: do I disconnect both gateways or just the one to be replaced 2. after replacement will your system recognize both gateways without additional conflict resolution

Expert

• 

105.6K Messages

1 year ago

@user_2a905b wrote: "To install do I disconnect both until new install complete. "

Disconnect only the old one. The new one needs to be connected in order for it to be activated. 

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@EG​ I have TWO gateways. Twice in the past, after replacing one of the gateways, the second one lost contact, followed by loss of phone service and back and forth for a day.  I would very much like that NOT to happen.

So: No you didn't clear things up

I understand that when I disconnect one gateway and replace it with the one new gateway you have sent me, that when the new one is installed in its place, hopefully it will be recognized and activated

Again I have two gateways active in my home (second floor and basement - both deliver internet and wifi while the basement ALSO delivers two line phone service) the basement (with phone service) is the one your replacement is sent to replace (using the email containing the SS# to be replaced)

In this situation: do I disconnect both gateways or just the one to be replaced 2. after replacement will your system recognize both gateways without additional conflict resolution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

@user_2a905b 

Now that you further explained your problem. Is the replacement gateway the same model as the two gateways you currently have? If so, replacing the current bad gateway should work. I would suggest unplugging the second good gateway will going through the replacement process of replacing the bad one. Plug it back in after getting the replacement working. Hopefully you wrote down the settings used to allow the second gateway to work. All bets off the new gateway model is different.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

1 year ago

sorry to be so terse. 30 years of comcast can do that (plus the three plus days of 'robot talk' then trying to find something like this forum

NO, the new gateway is different from its replacement and the second remaining gateway. 

So, all bets off then? 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

I would say yes. Do you know what model of gateway was sent to you? I don't know if you could still get a replacement gateway in the same models you had. Depending on what was sent you might not have the option of using 2 gateway like now.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks for your continuing interest.  I had hoped a knowledgeable Xfinity tech would come on at some point with some assistance that might include a contact strategy when things go wrong.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_2a905b. The system is made to adapt to the activation based on what you disconnected and know which it is replacing. There are times when multiple gateways are involved it may not go that way or have an issue and we can manually make sure it is set correctly. If you would rather us set the correct gateway before activation we can do that as well. You can send a direct message if you need assistance.

Make sure you are signed in to forums

1. In the top right corner, you'll see a little chat icon(direct message) near the bell icon.

2. Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

3. In the 'To' line, type "Xfinity Support" there. A drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list (an "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line)

4. Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

5. Press Enter to send it. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. Thanks!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Finally.  Thank you. Its the 'multiple gateways doesn't go that way' that has happened to me previously -- twice -- that concerns me. Thank you for the concise explanation and the pathway to help if the 'system' doesn't do its duty.

I am away for the holiday weekend but will 'go for it' Tuesday.

Again, thank you and here's hopin'

Thank you, also to the non-employees who took some swings.

Official Employee

• 

443 Messages

@

user_2a905b  Enjoy your holiday and we'll be right here if you have any issues when you get back.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

thank you for staying connected.  I had planned to make the gateway swap - with your guidance -- today.  However, my neighborhood has experienced a couple power outages this AM and I will wait till tomorrow to minimize the likelihood of a failure during the swap out process

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

It looks like you really could use some good luck now. Even the weather is causing problems.   : > (

Retired Expert

Gold Problem Solver

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

I have seen other posts here having problems with using a second gateway. Can you tell us what model the new gateway is?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

XfinityEthan's offer may be best choice for success now. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

@user_2a905b 

Have you gotten your replacement gateway working with the other two yet?

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@MNtundraRET

nope. Working through the direct xfinity support site.  After a lengthy rehashing of my concerns, I was advised for the third time in my Comcast history that just plugging it in will be fine.  It is not. system can't find new gateway, even though the existing modem was delivering service and all the plugs were exchanged directly to the new one and I followed the ap exactly.  Same old, same old.  Now waiting for a tech to answer (presumably the same one who said it will be fine).  I was reminded I have been with them for 40 years.  That is because they have a monopoly in my city (so far). Not because everything is great.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

@user_2a905b :

I haven't heard back from you. I hope the Xfinity employees finally fixed your cable boxes problems.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

1 year ago

Finally.  Took roughly the same pathway as 4 years ago. Took a month (give or take). there was a little less hassle on my part (the same amount of time and attention but with on line chat, I didn't have to hang on the phone off an on for hours). My situation, two modems, two landlines is not 'usual' - I get that.  Their technician made the two modem thing happen years ago and their current techs training and experience (at the entry level) is inadequate to prevent them from struggling with it despite advance warning from me. these days, the techs are nicer and more responsive but the results are the same.  Why they can't recognize their limitations sooner and move the problem up to those with the ability to solve it is frustrating. I understand from a business plan model how this happens, but that business plan devised to solve 90% (my guess) of issues at entry level ability doesn't help me at all. therefore, my experience is awful.  Today, all is working and back to standard. The pathway was unpleasant for me.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

Well: "Better late than never". Thank you for the reply.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here