LJBPDX's profile

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, January 16th, 2024 12:23 AM

Closed

Frequent Disconnection Using Arris Surfboard G34 Modem

After 11 months using an Arris Surfboard G34 Modem without any problems, in December 2023 we started experiencing disconnections 3 or 4 times a day. The disconnection durations can last up to 10 minutes, after which connection is restored without having to restart the modem. These frequent disconnections/loss of service periods have persisted for over a month. I have run your AI diagnostic tool at least 5 times over the past month and each time it reports there are no problems with the modem or cable line. The software on the modem is the most current version as per Arris. I've read elsewhere numerous Xfinity customers reporting there may be an incompatibility with Arris modems caused by the latest Xfinity upgrade. I have restarted the modem numerous times hoping a software push may come from Xfinity to resolve this problem.  Please help. 

Official Solution

Official Employee

• 

792 Messages

8 months ago

Thank you for that additional information, can you please try to see if temporarily disabling the IPv6 allows the IPv4 to perform? @LJBPDX

This comment was created from this reply

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

8 months ago

Okay, I have disabled IPv6. Lets wait 48 hours to see if the issue is resolved. I will report back to you then.

This comment was created from this reply

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

8 months ago

The concern is not "Home Security Devices And Equipment" help related. Topic moved here to the proper help section for assistance. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

8 months ago

Hey @LJBPDX, thanks for reaching out to Xfinity Support on our forums. I'm not seeing any acknowledged issues with the software as of yet. Intermittent issues could be service related issues as well. Have you checked your modem's error logs to see if there are any errors to narrow it down?

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Xfinity Nicolas, I've run the Event Log for the past month but I don't know how to identify errors. Can you give me a few clues as to what to look for? 

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

I found these log entries from yesterday morning labeled critical. Do these help in diagnosing my problem? 

DHCPv6: 72001015-DHCPv6 Failed - No Prefix Available 01/18/2024 06:48:12 AM Critical
DHCPv6: 72001014-DHCPv6 Failed - No Address Available 01/18/2024 06:48:12 AM Critical
DHCPv6: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 24 01/18/2024 06:48:12 AM Critical

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@LJBPDX, thanks for checking and posting those! DHCP is what assigns IP addresses and v6 is for IPv6 IP addresses. Basically it is saying it is trying to get one but the prefix isn't available. The router advertisements could be set out of range or it could also be connection related issues. A great suggestion from one of the Xperts on here was to try using IPv4 instead to see if you can connect.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Here's a copy of the current settings for IPv4 and IPv6. Both seem to be enabled. Should I disable IPv6?

IPv4

Enabled

Enabled

IPv6

Enabled

Enabled

Official Employee

• 

792 Messages

Thank you for that additional information, can you please try to see if temporarily disabling the IPv6 allows the IPv4 to perform? @LJBPDX

This reply has been converted into a comment
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

8 months ago

Last week I reported frequent interruptions of service. Your technician suggested I disable IPv6, after which for 48 hours service ran continually and the cases was closed. But today, 01-22-24 frequent interruptions have returned -- see log below. How do we resolve this problem? Is it possible there's a problem with the cable line?

eRouterEvents: 72003001-eRouter is administratively disabled 01/23/2024 05:39:46 AM Informational
DHCPv4: 72001020-DHCPv4 - IP Address Released 01/23/2024 05:39:45 AM Informational
eRouterEvents: 72003001-eRouter is administratively disabled 01/23/2024 12:02:35 AM Informational
DHCPv4: 72001020-DHCPv4 - IP Address Released 01/23/2024 12:02:34 AM Informational

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Frequent interruption of service / eRouter is administratively disabled

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Interruption happened again a few minutes ago. Here's the event log:

eRouterEvents: 72003001-eRouter is administratively disabled 01/23/2024 06:02:06 AM Informational
DHCPv4: 72001020-DHCPv4 - IP Address Released 01/23/2024 06:02:06 AM Informational
eRouterEvents: 72003001-eRouter is administratively disabled 01/23/2024 05:39:46 AM Informational
DHCPv4: 72001020-DHCPv4 - IP Address Released 01/23/2024 05:39:45 AM Informational
eRouterEvents: 72003001-eRouter is administratively disabled 01/23/2024 12:02:35 AM Informational
DHCPv4: 72001020-DHCPv4 - IP Address Released 01/23/2024 12:02:34 AM Informational

Official Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

@LJBPDX I'm sorry to hear that the intermittent connection issue has returned. I'd like to get a better look at the signals to your modem. Please send us a DM to Xfinity Support with your full name and address to get started. 

To send a direct message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pen and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

3 months ago

There are many, many complaints in Xfinity's forum and Arris's forums about the poor performance of the Arris G34 and G36 gateway modems on Xfinity's system, despite both modems being on Xfinity's own recommended modem list. They are easy to find if you want to see them (hint to Xfinity agents here).

The reason for the poor performance is that after an Xfinity network change, Arris published a firmware update for the Arris G34 and G36 gateway modems last fall and Xfinity has not yet pushed it out to the modems. Arris managment is very frustrated with Xfinity's delay. This is entirely the ISP's responsibilty.

Contacting Xfinity support will do nothing. I've had a ticket in since early April and have heard absolutely nothing about when the firmware update will be pushed or why it hasn't been pushed. Xfinity support doesn't know anything about the Xfinity technical team footdragging and will have you running around in circles resetting your Arris G34 or G36 gateway modem.

Let me be absolutely specific about this: Xfinity hasn't done anything about the firmware update for about 9 months. Xfinity could not care less that you wasted your money on a modem that Xfinity recommended but now doesn't work with Xfinity's broadband system. 

In a just world, Xfinity would give us all free gateway modems as replacements. Absent that, [Edited: "Solicitation"], write off whatever you paid for the Arris G34 or G36, and [Edited: "Solicitation"].

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here