sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

@BellevueBob wrote:

I don't really know what a Roku is, but I'm sure all this abour HBO Go has something to do with licensing and specifically about displaying content on a TV versus a mobile device (or PC).  

A Roku is a streaming media box that can connect to a display via HDMI.  There are various apps available on the Roku, with HBO Go being one of them.

HBO Go requires you to get authorization from your cable provider before they will display the content.  This is not specific to Roku, but also applies to watching HBO Go on a PC, Tablet, Xbox or Apple TV.

HBO Go can be authorized by most major cable & satalite providers in the US, with Comcast being the notable exception.

HBO Go can be authorized on other devices such as Xbox & Apple TV which connect directly to a display device via HDMI.  For some reason (and I'm pretty sure it's not licensing) Comcast do not let you authorize HBO Go on a Roku.

If you want to find out more about the Roku please feel free to google it.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

The easiest/cheapest work-around is Chromecast. Amazon has them on sale again for $30 right now. I got one over Christmas. If you connect it to an AVR (instead of your TV), you can get Netflix in DD 5.1. HBOGo currently is not supporting DD 5.1 via Chromecast, regardless of how you connect it, but I would expect that support to come eventually.  That's an HBOGo issue, not a Chromecast / Comcast issue.  My guess is HBO will fix that quickly, with how fast the Chromecast is selling.

Chromecast is a much cheaper solution than buying an Xbox or an AppleTV, if you, like me, are tired of waiting for Roku support, but don't want to switch from Comcast.

Roku authorization would be *better*... in part because it would have saved us all the $30 investment, in part because I'm guessing it would have supported 5.1 right out of the gate, in part because it would be more convenient (no need to switch to yet ANOTHER set of TV/AVR inputs), and in part because there is no hard-wired ethernet option for Chromecast.  But I got tired of waiting for Comcast to give me this functionality, and I decided that $30 was worth it for this *quick fix*.

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

TheKing -- am I right in thinking that to use a Chromecast you have to use another device (phone, tablet, PC) to start the video and then 'push' it to the Chromcast?

When you do that, does the other device become free, or do you need to keep playing the content you're watching on the Chromecast device?

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

Raw505,

Could you post that "HBO Team" number please?

Thanks...

Bronze Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

10 years ago

@nvenzon wrote:

Hope this is appropriate for this topic. I purchased Roku for Christmas but streaming is so slow it sometimes will not even load a movie and when it does load and play there are constant interruptions while it pauses to load. I see people are buying modems etc is that necessary? Are the modems supplied by comcast not adequate?

That might depend on what Cable Modem Comcast is providing and what you internet level of service is?  You do know that you can purchase a Cable Modem on-line that would pay for inself in 6 to 12 months (as Comcast charges $7.00 per month for theirs).

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, you need an additional device, no remote is provided . Mine had bugs but is being replaced with warranty. Does work with Comcast's HBO

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, you need an additional device, no remote is provided . Mine had bugs but is being replaced with warranty. Does work with Comcast's HBO . Once it streams u can use your tablet/ phone for other stuff.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

@FrozenSlime wrote:

TheKing -- am I right in thinking that to use a Chromecast you have to use another device (phone, tablet, PC) to start the video and then 'push' it to the Chromcast?

When you do that, does the other device become free, or do you need to keep playing the content you're watching on the Chromecast device?

Yes, that's what makes Chromecast a viable solution, IMO.  Unlike with AppleTV, on Chromecast HBOGo (or Netflix, or Youtube) is not streaming FROM YOUR DEVICE.  You use your device to go *find* whatever video you want to play (just like you would if your plan was to watch it on your phone/tablet/ect), get the stream going through your router, and then you push the *chromecast* button on the top right corner of the mobile screen to send it to your chromecast.

Once you do that, the video moves from  your phone/tablet to your bigscreen, and your phone/tablet goes into "remote control" mode.  And yes, you can hit the home button, go check your email, send a text, take a phone call... you can even shut your phone/tablet off (I tested... it worked).

I picture it like there being a thousand different ropes laying on the ground.  You use your phone/tablet to select which rope you want to start "pulling" (IE: streaming), and then when you hit chromecast, you basically just tell your chromecast "hey, see this rope that I'm pulling on... now you just keep pulling it".

As others have said, your phone/tablet IS the remote.  So if you shut your phone/tablet off, you can't pause or rewind the video until you turn your device back on and get back into the app.  BUT, unlike appletv, chromecast isn't sucking your battery dry while you sit there streaming video to your mobile.  Just flip the screen off, and your phone/battery just sits there like it always does... open your phone back up, and you can pause/remind/etc.

At $30-$35, it's a pretty cheap, reasonably convenient solution... I personally don't think Comcast has any intention of ever giving us Roku support.  On the other hand, I think google is VERY interested in giving the Chromecast a LOT of support, as it's selling like hotcakes right now.  My guess is you'll see a lot more apps come out for Chromecast over the next 12 months (ShowtimeAnytime?  Slingplayer?  Watch ESPN?).

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Mine was buggy also, waiting for replacement. My tablet has HDMI out. HBOgo app supports hdmi out. Bought a mini cable for the tablet, a Kindle Fire HD, and stream tablet to tv via the cable. Not great but a work around till Comcast comes to their senses. Playon media server worked my lappy too hard, it would get very hot even on a cradle. If Comcast wont play with Roku they should add more HBO content to On Demand.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

if anyone is still curious why Comcast customers want HBO GO on their ROKU, there's a simple answer: CONTENT. HBO GO includes much more content than Comcast makes available by way of cable box. HBO GO offers most HBO original content, such as series, documentaries, and movies. For example, every episode of THE SOPRANOS, which has not been avaiable on VOD until James Gandolfini's untimely death. A whole month later, Comcast begain doling out a single season. However, the full series is available on my tablet and laptop computer. Nothing like large format HDTV, especially when attempting a commemorative SOPRANOS weekend. It is not a matter of compatibility; the list of cable providers that permit HBO GO on ROKU is quite extensive. Comcast simply chooses to withhold permission. Even if the content were identical, which it is not, my $240 monthly Comcast payment should permit full access to the cable channels' services. Comcast seems for interested in getting a permanent lock on its customers by selling films that will require an active Comcast account to view in the future. I'm not going to make that mistake. Programs purchased at AMAZON.COM do not require "Prime" membership to view.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

FrozenSlime did a great job explaining how Chromecast works.  However, I'd like to add another advantage of Chromecast for ComCast customers:  Currently, Chromecast works ("officially") with Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and HBO GO.  However, I have been able to also call up Xfinity programs for online viewing on my laptop and cast them to a TV using Chromecast.  My schedule is such that I often do not get to watch some of my favorite prime-time programs -- and I'm not a big fan of watching movies or TV programs on my laptop.  So, Crhomecast enables me to "catch up" on programs I've missed on a larger TV screen -- even when I'm staying in hotels or resort lodging.  Pretty neat!

Frequent Visitor

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

To answer your question, no it does not tie up my PC while watching the HBOGO channel via PlayOn.  It is a process running in the background but I have never had any issues in that respect.  It works quite well overall other than requiring you to log into your Comcast account every other day or so on the PC - but I have that issue anyway with other Comcast apps. 

I dislike Comcast as much as anyone else on this site but this really is an inexpensive work-around to watching HBOGO on a Roku if you have a PC accessible anywhere on your home network. 

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

10 years ago

@randerto wrote:

To answer your question, no it does not tie up my PC while watching the HBOGO channel via PlayOn.  It is a process running in the background but I have never had any issues in that respect.  It works quite well overall other than requiring you to log into your Comcast account every other day or so on the PC - but I have that issue anyway with other Comcast apps. 

I dislike Comcast as much as anyone else on this site but this really is an inexpensive work-around to watching HBOGO on a Roku if you have a PC accessible anywhere on your home network. 

Thank you for that clarification. I actually have Dish now, so have full HBOgo content on both On Demand through Dish, and also on the Roku. However, there are other sites I would like to stream to the television, such as the BBC channels through the proxy server.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I recently added HBO to our lineup and our rep specifically promoted the HBO-GO feature, saying you could stream it on ANY device.  HBO-GO is a Roku channel, we just can't activate it because Comcast is not among the extensive list of providers on the activation page.  Baffling that Comcast blocks HBO-GO from streaming on Roku.  Why not, Comcast?

Regular Contributor

• 

280 Messages

10 years ago

This has been going on for years. Comcast is not signing up for roku. Just get an apple tv when you can afford it. Tis what I plan to do (gm just announced a new dividen today, got in at right time). Comcast seems to be reaping the rewards of jp Morgan's strong buy ratings. Though some cnbc analysts are wondering why the prices are jumping on all cable providers, when they are bleeding tv subscribers. All are looking for more m&a activity, lessening the competition even further. Thre was talk of Comcast acquiring two, but cox just had rejected bid. Pe is rather high on these bad boys, but yet they still go up, and Comcast's dividen only 1.65%.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here