sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Oh no. Not true. HBO Go gives you access to a lot more HBO content than Comcast's On Demand does. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

You can access a lot more content on HBO Go than through On Demand. 

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

@Matt2h wrote:

Oh no. Not true. HBO Go gives you access to a lot more HBO content than Comcast's On Demand does. 

Which comment is this in response to?

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

I think most of those posts are from folks who see the third comment on the first page, not realizing that this issue has such a huge response that there are now 30 pages of complaints (including several "answer" replies. From the first page: 

‎10-25-2011 10:39 AM

the only thing the app would do is provide you on demand type programming, which you should have with your regular cable box, what exactly would you like the app to be on roku that you can't already do with your cable box.?

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

I am willing to bet that the X1 will allow you to stream the same content that they offer online (which includes a much larger selection of HBO, past seasons, etc.), but that they are not suddenly changing course on their failure to support HBO Go. I could be (hopefully) wrong, but based on experience...

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

So is your tech saying that comcast is turning the corner and will allow full access to all hbogo content by the end of the year? Did he say anything about streaming via roku?

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

Or it could be the stick to just leave comcast, at least for tv service. That is what I am starting to wrestle with. I'd be happy to stay, and even to keep paying their sky high fees, but at least give me access to all the content I am paying for....or I'll just find a way to piece together the parts I really want via a different distribution channel.

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

11 years ago

Nedyken,

The X1 makes the on-demand situation worse -- they've made it even harder to find content.  I just got one a couple of weeks ago, and I wish I hadn't.  The DVR is still not as good as a five year old TIVO, it's not as bad as the standard Comcast DVR, but still not what you'd expect from a modern platform.

As for anyone who thinks HBO Go and HBO on Demand are similar, their not!  HBO Go has pretty much everything HBO have every produced - you can watch ALL of Larry David or The Extras for instance (both of which are NOT available with HBO on Demand) -- you can even start BoardWalk Empire from Episode 1 and zip up to the newest episodes in a week (like I just did).  Can't do that with On Demand...

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

who is they?

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

HBO GO. When I went to register my Roku device last week, Comcast was not even in their list of content providers. Now it shows up for other devices, but there is still no Roku support. HBO is dropping the ball for allowing Comcast to sidestep the Roku device. If you pay for HBO you should be able to access it on all of your supported devices, regardless of who you are paying for your content.

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

I think it's highly likely a comcast ball dropping not an hbo one.....

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

OMG! They have just added Comcast XFINITY to their partner list, however when you go to check the "supported devices" under Comcast, it lists darn (fixed so as not to offend the censors - jeez)  near everything BUT the Roku (iPad, iPhone, XBox 360, Apple TV, Kindle Fire and Android phones/tablets). What kind of BS is this Comcast? Wht did Roku do to you? Either they really have an issue with Roku, or they have some secret deal with Google for a percentage of ChromeCast sales... I'll be sure to let them know I bought their device thanks to you.

And still no official response on here? Close to 1500 complaints and no official word regarding their lack of support? Way to go - a new customer service low.

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

From the HBO GO site: HBO GO is only available through participating television providers.  On Roku Streaming Player devices, the following television providers offer HBO GO free as part of your HBO subscription: Advanced Cable, Antietam, Astound, AT&T U-Verse TV, Atlantic Broadband, ATMC, BendBroadband, Blue Ridge Communications, Bright House, Burlington Telecom, BVU OptiNet, Cable ONE, Buckeye CableSystem, CenturyLink Prism, Charter, Cox, Cincinnati Bell Fioptics, Clear Creek Communications, DISH, Easton Cable Velocity, EPB Fiber Optics, GCI, Grande Communications, GVTC Communications, Hawaiian Telcom, Home Telecom, Home Town Cable Plus, Hotwire Communications, HTC Communications, HTC Digital Cable, JEA, Long Lines, LUS Fiber, Massillon Cable/CPI, Mediacom, MetroCast,  Mi-Connection, Midcontinent Communications, Nex-Tech, Openband Multimedia, Optimum, RCN, Service Electric Broadband, Service Electric Cable TV, Service Electric Cablevision, Suddenlink, SureWest Broadband, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS, Wave Broadband and WOW!.

Apparently all of these other companies understand that not everyone wants to watch HBO shows on their phone or tablet, why doesn't Comcast seem to get it? It's not like subscibers are going to throw their Roku device away and update to a triple play service in order to get the X1 (assuming the above poster is correct, they do not list that device or Samsung Smart TV's either).

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Oh I agree, I just think that HBO should take a more "either you support all devices or you don't get to offer us in your channel lineup" approach. I mean, when it comes down to it, HBO has all the bargaining chips in their conrner, and it makes sense that they would want PAYING customers to be able to access the content on the device of their choice. 🙂

It's like Comcast perceives Roku as a threat to it's market, but since you HAVE to be an HBO subscriber in order to get HBO GO in the first place - I really don't see how it's a threat to their bottom end, and if they leveraged it the other way around, it might actually drive more sales to them! It must come down to licensing fees or something - it's the only thing that makes sense

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

11 years ago

@Dubguy wrote:

Okay - but I'm already paying rental fees for my box and my modem. If my box would let me watch the content available on HBO GO this would not be an issue. I can only assume everyone with Comcast subscribing to HBO also rents a Comcast box? Is this assumption incorrect?

On a side note - how are you guys replying and getting the "replied to" text to show up? Are you pasting it in? 

You hit the quote button.

Most people have to rent one box but the average house with a family has between 3 to 6 tvs. and its the aditional TV revenue that would be lost.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here