sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks, I called that number and received a call back in a hour or so.  The person who called back "wanted to inform me that everything in HBO-GO is available with our on demand service" which I did correct her on.....hopefully enough will call so Comcast ads it and I don't have to look for a new provider.

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

12 years ago

They won't authorize because the Roku competes with their other plans such as supporting the new Xbox streaming.  I wouldn't doubt that Microsoft asked them not to support the Roku.  This whole thing really smells because we all pay for HBO and they are getting their money from us and passing a share on to HBO so Comcast can dictate how we watch it??  DirecTV did the same thing, very stupid move on their part because I would sign up to DTV in a minute and cancel.  Dish supports the Roku but their service doesn't compare.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I got a response to a Facebook post.  My interpretation of the post leads me to believe Comcast wants to protect their own streaming through the link to xfinity.net.  If we all get to use the Roku we won't be using the Comcast website.  For some reason it would seem this matters to Comcast.  But at least I got an answer.  I don't think you should hold your breath for Comcast to give in on this one.  Hopefully HBO will move away from cable provider authentication when they get a new contract.  But for now the corporate giant takes their monopoly territories to the extreme. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Add me to list of customers who want Comcast to add a "channel" on the Roku for Xfinity Tv.   If you want to satisfy the greatest number of customers, the roku addition should be given priority.

thanks

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

12 years ago

I think they may be worrying about bandwidth. If we all switched to using these devices it could affect them. Understandable but what do they expect when they charge so much for a cable box rental.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Is it too much to ask for Xfinity to be on the Roku box?

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

?

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

This makes no sense.  Why would Comcast choose to make things difficult for their customers by not allowing access to HBOGO via Roku?  

1. HBOGO cannot be accessed by anyone who doesn't subscribe to HBO through a cable tv provider. So, customers won't drop cable for HBOGO.

2.  Comcast already allows access to HBOGO via my phone, pad and laptop.

3.  All Comcast needs to do is give their permission.  From what I can tell, there are no technical issues involved.

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

12 years ago

Seems pretty obvious that at this point they have no plans to support HBO Go on Roku boxes.  They consider Roku competition and are working with Microsoft on Xbox 360 support.   If you want HBO Go on Roku go to U-verse (if available) or Dish.

Up until this I had been very happy with Xfinity/Comcast but this is very short-sighted and disappointing...

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

The truely sad thing is that since they already authorize GoogleTV, PC/Laptops, phones, tablets, and other devices, to allow Roku is either someone sending an email or checking a check box on thier end. 

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Add me to the list of angry customers who want Comcast to support HBO Go on Roku devices.  I tried calling Comcast Support and asking if there was a good reason why they do not support HBO Go on Roku devices.  The support representative did not have a reason and said he had several requests in the last week for Roku support.  Let's hope Comcast comes to their senses and adds support for HBO Go on Roku devices.

Here is a copy of the email I sent to Comcast Support (sent via http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/account/ways-to-get-help/):

"When will Comcast support HBO Go on Roku devices?!? Other television providers offer this service, such as AT&T U-verse, Charter, Dish, Verizon and more. It seems to me with millions of subscribers, it would make sense for Comcast to support HBO Go on Roku devices.

There is already a long conversation on your own support forum of Comcast customers asking for HBO Go support on Roku devices (http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Online-Help/ROKU-HBO-GO/td-p/1100271).

What's even worse, according to GigaOM (http://gigaom.com/video/hbo-go-for-roku-comcast-directv/), there is no technical or contractual/licensing limitations to supporting HBO Go on Roku devices.

The promise of HBO Go on my mobile devices (iPad & iPhones) and Roku device was one of the main reasons why I decided to purchase both a Roku and HBO subscription. Without full support of all devices, including Roku, I will not continue my HBO subscription.

So I ask again, why does Comcast not support HBO Go on Roku devices?"

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Comcast,

As a subscription member of HBO and Roku owner I'm very dissapointed that I can't access HBO GO on my Roku device.  Roku is a huge part of my entertainment experience and as technology advances Comcast must advance with it.  Other carriers big and small have met the media streaming demand and provided access via Roku.  What is keeping you from doing the same?  The demand for streaming media will grow and as a paying customer I would like Comcast to provide access.  Please consider supporting Roku and existing customers by providing this service. 

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

12 years ago

Steven, yes there are other ways of getting HBO GO.  Currently, I receive it with another device, Google TV with the Spotlight app will work.  They pretty much just resemble the same as a desktop browser experience.  I own the Logitech Revue which has been discontinued by Logitech and there are some really good deals out there right now because it's getting closed out.  I've seen HBO GO on a Roku work and the Roku experience is much better then Google TV but it works with your Comcast login just like using on a PC.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

Steve GoogleTV from Sony and Logitech (search for a Logitech unit for $99) have authorized for me. Would prefer my Roku but it's OK.

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

12 years ago

Hey Steven,  My son lives on the other side of our state and is on Charter cable and he has a Roku and it works great. I'm so bummed that I can't get it and it's so much better than Comcast HBO On Demand.  I have a droid phone (Motorola Droid 2 Global) and have no problems with HBO GO and same for all of my Win 7 PC's work fine with the Comcast logins.  You must be doing something wrong?  Need to call a support person at Comcast, well good luck there!  Sounds like you have some sort of authenication problem with your account?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here