user_f12941's profile

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, December 13th, 2023 10:00 PM

Closed Captioning Always On in Samsung TV App

I have 2 televisions, a new (8 months old) Samsung TVQN65Q90TAFXZA and an LG (don't know the number) 1 month old TV both with the Xfinity app downloaded and installed on the TV. This was because of the volume fluctuations with the app using the ROKU box. A few weeks ago the closed captioning started to show on all channels, at first intermittently and now constantly. I have tried turning it off on the TV settings as well as the app settings and the only way to get rid of it is to make the text and background both transparent. That is fine until you shut it off  such as overnight or while at work and it returns. I reconnected my ROKU box up and the closed captioning is off. I'm waiting for the sound to start acting up again. I know it is an issue with the app as it does not show the CC on any other apps. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app on both TVs without success in clearing this problem. 

4 Messages

6 months ago

I’m have the exact same, annoying, issue. Every time we start XS, we have to manually shut off cc. How do we change the default “on” to “off”?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

6 months ago

Thank you so much for reaching out, user_f12941! I'm so sorry you're having issues with CC on the Xfinity Streaming App on your Televisions. Is this happening on any other device? I want to take a look to see if it's a known issue on our end with certain devices, all devices or if there is some sort of update/patch that's out and needs to be updated. 

4 Messages

Frankly, @XfinityAntoine, this is a VERY obvious issue, but may be related to the specific version running on Samsung TVs. But maybe swing past your local BestBuy and try it yourself. It happens 100% of the time on my new QN77S89CBFXZA Samsung Tizan. Easy to turn off, yes, but a horribly inconvenient bug nevertheless. Looking forward to your confirmation that this is indeed a defect and that there is an active effort and timeline to getting it resolved. Thanks for reading my rant.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Thanks for your comment, @user_8uqtjk. This is only affecting the Xfinity Stream App on your Samsung Tizan TV, correct? Is your TV up to date with the latest software update? You can check the Xfinity Stream App minimum system requirements here

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

@XfinityDilary​ I'm gonna take a guess that the system requirements have nothing to do with this. The TV is pretty new and this issue seems pretty seasoned. Still, willing to try any potential solutions as this is manageable but persistently annoying as it is EVERY TIME we restart XS. Too bad we can't open directly into XS as a default, but clearly Samsung holds the keys to that.

Please keep us all posted as this progresses. It would be good if ya'll could acknowledge this as a known bug that is being addressed in the not too distant future. Thanks.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

I don't see any known issues reported on this, @user_8uqtjk. Did you check the system requirements I provided? Is your device up to date? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

5 Messages

My Samsung does the same thing and my tv is probably 6 years old! CC comes on after I shut down the tv and turn on later! Funny, my even older Samsung with fire stick does not turn on CC after being off for a while! Very annoying to say the least 

1 Message

6 months ago

I’m having the same issue of my CC is automatically turned on everytime I start the app on my television on both of my TVs. All my TVs and Apps are up to date. This issue is very annoying!

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@user_ou8211 and @Everyone There is a known issue with the Closed Captioning on the Xfinity Stream app defaulting to on for Samsung TVs and LG's currently. Our Engineers are working with both manufacturers to locate the cause of the issue and create a solution but at this time we do not have an estimated time for a resolution. I will note that some customers did find some success in Clearing the temp Files for the Steam app on the TV. On the most recent models, you can do this by following these steps:

1. Press the Home button on your remote control and then head to Settings.
  2. Navigate to All Settings.
  3. Choose Support then Device Care. 
  4. Select Manage Storage.
  5. Choose the Xfinity stream app then View Details.
  6. Here you can Clear Data and Clear Cache for the chosen app.

You may need to log back into the Xfinity stream app when launched again. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

6 months ago

I have the same problem on my new Samsung Smart TV using the Xfinity Stream app. Please help!

Official Employee

• 

499 Messages

@ocwoodmanp Hello, I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

New Poster

• 

39 Messages

@XfinityVictor​ I, along with others, have had this issue since at least 11/29. I was told by "an Official Xfinity Employee" on a different thread that Xfinity had expected a fix by 12/15. Here it is 12/18 and no fix. 

Please explain...

5 Messages

6 months ago

Is this annoying bug being addressed? Please advise 

Official Employee

• 

550 Messages

@user_ppix8w, thank you for using the Community Forum to reach out. 

There is a known issue with the Closed Captioning on the Xfinity Stream app defaulting to on for Samsung TVs and LG's currently. Our Engineers are working with both manufacturers to locate the cause of the issue and create a solution but at this time we do not have an estimated time for a resolution. That said, there have been a few customers who found success in clearing the temp files for the Stream app on the TV. Here is some information you can use to try and do so yourself if you have a newer model:

1 Message

5 months ago

I tried this on my brand new Samsung Q60C series and that setting is unavailable on my TV.  CC still turning on when I start the app, have to turn it off every time.

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

@user_rcuugl have you reached out to the TV manufacture for additional assistance as well?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.6K Messages

5 months ago

@XfinityDena wrote: "... have you reached out to the TV manufacture for additional assistance as well?

How could the manufacturer (several of them, actually) correct a bug in a Comcast app???

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

4 Messages

Samsnug owns Comcast, don’tchano! s/

4 Messages

5 months ago

My Samsung was doing this and I tried everything with no luck. I only have streaming on my Samsung and no other service/app has captions on. That leads me to believe this is internal to Xfinity.

2 Messages

5 months ago

I have the same issue on ALL of my Samsung TV's. They all use the XS app and this started end of November.  VERY ANNOYING that this has not been resolved yet

2 Messages

Just tried clearing cache/data. No change

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Thank you so much for reaching out, @user_bgfxv8. I can see how those issues with your Samsung TVs would be frustrating. Are you having issues with any other devices? Have you ensured you have the latest firmware installed, https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-requirements?

2 Messages

5 months ago

Has anyone found a solution to this.  The device care function is unavailable on my Samsung TV’s. 

Everytime we turn on the TV the CC is still on.  This has been going on for several weeks now.  

@XfinityAmandaB 

@XfinityMarcus 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

5 months ago

I’m having the exact same problem. Only on Samsung TVs. LG TVs running the app do not do this. This started about 2 months ago. It’s obnoxious. It’s clearly a bug in the app, not a user issue. I wish xfinity would do something about this instead of asking if our TVs are up to date. 

5 Messages

They evidently don’t care 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@jenn0326 This is a known issue that our Engineers are working to resolve as quickly as they can. We appreciate your feedback, and we hope to have this resolved soon.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hi, @user_ppix8w. We certainly do care about everyone's concerns, and we appreciate your feedback. We are working on this further to help get this cleared up. Thank you for your time and patience. 

1 Message

5 months ago

This is an Xfinity Stream app bug.... period. I've done enough troubleshooting on this that we need (a) Comcast to acknowledge it and (b) Comcast to fix it. Please stop the excuses.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello @user_v9iuko  It has been stated earlier in this thread that there is a known issue with the Closed Captioning on the Xfinity Stream app defaulting to on for Samsung TVs and LG's currently. Our Engineers are working with both manufacturers to locate the cause of the issue and create a solution but at this time we do not have an estimated time for a resolution. That said, there have been a few customers who found success in clearing the temp files for the Stream app on the TV. Here is some information you can use to try and do so yourself if you have a newer model:

1 Message

This doesn’t work on fire stick. 
it’s the only app to have this issue. This is why I just use all my other apps because Xfiniity sucks. It’s 2024, you’d think yal could figure it out 

1 Message

5 months ago

I hear AT&T doesn't have this problem. Funny these engineers can not fix this problem quickly, but wont roll back to a prior version until they figure it out. 

2 Messages

I said the same thing

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 months ago

Same issue here since Nov - Xfinity deleted the last 4+ page thread about this same issue after saying it would be fixed by 12/15/23.

Do better Xfinity….there are many other options out there.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello @user_5bb912, I'm not a huge fan of closed captioning on my TV either, so I totally get how annoying this could be. I love the Stream app and use it all the time on my Samsung, but this is a known issue that our engineering team is working to resolve. At this time I don't have a temporary solution, other than manually turning off the CC once the app is opened. Other than this Stream app issue, did you have any other app, service, or billing concerns that I could help with? 

2 Messages

5 months ago

Same issue here on 3 Samsung TVs. Every one launches the Stream app with CC on. Happens every time and have to manually turn off at the start of every use. Incredibly annoying. Been happening for a month. Sounds like their “engineers” are aware but nothing is being done about it. X sucks. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello, @mdkrebs11. I can certainly understand how easily frustrating that can be. As you are aware this is a known issue and our engineers are working on getting this resolved ASAP. Here's some helpful steps to try:

1 Message

My parents tv has been doing this since November, when will this issue be resolved?

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello, @user_la460l There is a known issue with the Closed Captioning on the Xfinity Stream app defaulting to on for Samsung TVs and LG's currently. Our Engineers are working with both manufacturers to locate the cause of the issue and create a solution but at this time we do not have an estimated time for a resolution. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityGabby​ Device Care is not an option, as many have pointed out.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here